Question for the sporting clays guys! Now with shoot review!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I was just invited to shoot a round of sporting clays at High Point shooting grounds this weekend. Should be fun! Only one problem... I've got a pump 870 set up for 3 gun. Its got an 18" IC barrel with rifle sights. My other option is the longer factory barrel with a full choke. I've shot skeet but never sporting clays. Advice? (other than go buy an over under... wife already shot that down! but honey its a $300 entrance that I'm not paying didn't work either!)

Last edited:

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Install the longer barrel with the full choke, and go shoot.

Be sure to 'let a few get away' for breeding purposes. I always do.

Edit: IIRC High Point is going to require you to shoot their ammo. If it's steel shot, do not shoot it out of your full choke barrel.

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Install the longer barrel with the full choke, and go shoot.

Be sure to 'let a few get away' for breeding purposes. I always do.

Edit: IIRC High Point is going to require you to shoot their ammo. If it's steel shot, do not shoot it out of your full choke barrel.

LOl!
    I've wondered what happens when you shoot steel or slugs through full choke. I'm guessing not good things...

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Update:

Had a really good time shooting clays last weekend. High Point has a great facility. 100 shells spread across 14 stations. Each station was a different type of challenge- one left, one right, two left, one high one low, rabbits, two high over a narrow stream, two off the top of a crane (HIGH shots! was wishing I had my dad's goose gun for that stage!), and more. always interesting. I was way out of practice. I'd guess I only hit about 25 but had a really good time.
    Since it was a charity event the sheriff's office had BBQ ready for us when we finished!

Normal price if you just show up is $100 for range time, 100 shells, and clays. And the ammo is pre-positioned so you're not carrying anything but your gun.

Hmmm... bs.com day out there? could be fun...

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom