Workouts for 50+ year olds...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thindogg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2016
    Iowa
    Now... The first one of you %$^#!'s that calls me Grandpa...

Anyone else here over 50? What do you do? I'm looking to turn it back up.

Did the military and the civilian LEO stuff for 25+ years, now on my third career. I've never NOT been in decent shape. I just think back to my Ninja days and the shape that I was then. I'm still in better shape than the average 23 year old, but like you guys, thats not enough.

Due to the recovery time, I'm down to about two, MAYBE three days a week (good week) in the gym. I run two to three days, and try to get a lot of walking in. Here is what is happening;

1. Gym: I must now work out smarter instead of harder. Years of hard mileage on the joints is adding up.

2. Running: Same thing... Smarter, not further. Mileage again. Getting old sucks...

When we move back CONUS in a few months, we're going to splurge and get a top of the line elliptical machine. No more running. I want to keep my knees. Eventualy, I want to buy a nice smith machine and some dumbells, then can the membership.

The worse part is the ^&%$ metabolism. Its stopping. I can look at a piece of pizza and put on a few pounds.

Anyone else out there??? Whatta do you do?

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Ever thought about doing things like tai chi that's very low to no impact, mostly breathing and balance exercise to help increase balance, and lower stress? I know an 80 year old guy that does it, and guy looks like he can take me down, and that's all he does.

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I'm in the same age range as you and have been a gym rat for most of my life. From what you describe it appears you are doing plenty to keep in shape. My routine changes during the year to eliminate boredom and fit around my main job, my outdoor activities, and my bee keeping business. I'm doing a quick weight routine 3x a week before work now because I have lots of chores and family stuff I need to do after work at this time of the year. I need to do more cardio for sure, but there is only so many hours in a day. Yes, my body does take more time to heal and also my cat like reflexes aren't what they used to be so I have to be more aware of my work environment and be much more deliberate when I do everyday activities so I don't injure myself and this is my motivation for staying in shape. I still have a lot I want to accomplish before my time on earth is done and I want it to be quality time. Keep up the good fight my friend.

rabiddawg

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    Sadly everything you guys mention goes right along with what I'm feeling.

The best thing I could do is eat better and drink less whiskey but I'm afraid that ain't ever gonna happen.

My wife and I get up at 4 am almost every morning head to the gym. I do weights and cardio alternating each week. One week it's cardio 3x weights 2x the next week it's that get reversed. I no longer push myself for fear of injury and that has been frustrating. Getting old sucks and it ain't gonna get any better.

I must admit feeling better when I'm in shape but I still haven't figured out if I'm wearing out my body faster or prolonging my life by excersizing.

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    I am in my late '50s. After a college weights, conditioning and fitness program, a structual construction job, 2 career jobs where I had to stay fit, I am done with trying to stay fit by a structured fitness program. I have a 15yr old son and a 7yr old son to "keep me in shape" these days. ;)

WildBillKelso

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2015
    Northshore/New Orleans
    Many that have the joint issues that arise from a career humping gear in the military or LEO world find that exercise in a pool affords a great cardio/calesthenic workout without much pain afterwards.

Cajun Camper

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Lafayette, La.
    I'm 62. Usually walk & ride my bike around the neighborhood. When out in the Motorhome we usually are walking the dogs a few times a day. Stay pretty active doing yard work & stuff around the house. Lift dumbbells a few times a week. Knees & back are my weak points. Try to some what watch what I eat, still have a couple of drinks most nights (Crown & water).

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    We put in a 40' lap pool some years ago and it is great during the summer. In winter running around in the woods hunting, and keeping up with keeping leaves out of the damn pool keeps me pretty active. I think for me it has been the years of stress that has taken it's toll more than anything else. So... I try not to fixate on how much exercise I am getting or not getting! Just adds to it. Gotta tell you that there seems to be a whole world of difference between 50+ and 60+ so I have no real encouragement to add. Like George Burns said “If I'd known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.”

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom