CMR-30 Extended Handguard/Rail

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    This was my Saturday project this St. Patrick's Day weekend...

Modified CMR-30 (Extended Handguard and Rails).

1. Ordered parts from Kel-Tec.
    2. Measured, Taped and Cut parts to fit.
    3. I decided to go a different route than a lot of the similar modifications I've seen online... I used the two pieces of cut rail to fasten the two sides of the handguard sections together instead of using one of the barrel guides to re-drill. This way, there is no modification to the stock CMR-30. Hell, I could see these as pre-assembled forend extensions. When I was done, I replaced two screws on the front handguard for longer screws and the whole front assembly slid right on (the rail sections were already attached to the new handguard).
    4. Simply remove thread protector, slide new handguard extension on, remove old screws in forward holes of existing handguard, insert new longer screws... done!

I plan on shaping the rail sections to match the rounded opposite side of the rail... so it's uniform. This is just the finished product. Everything is aluminum and very easy to cut/drill.

FullSizeR1.jpg
    Extended Stock with AAC Suppressor attached.

FullSizeR.jpg
    Stock recessed with thread protector installed.

All in all a nice little project... was it worth the $130+ bucks to extend the handguard? For a little bit more I could have cut/crowned/threaded the barrel and just paid for the stamp to SBR it. But it looks cool and is very functional... kindof reminds me of a Storm Trooper rifle. :)

ORIGINAL CMR-30 for reference...
    keltec-cmr-30-rifle-oleg-volk.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom