Threatened in the 9th Ward at 4:15 am this morning.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    I originally posted this so others could learn from my mistakes, not to get beat up for not being written to perfection, and accurately say what I meant to say. It all happened so fast is all I'm gonna say.

Will re-edit my post later after my nerves calm down, too many people nitpicking what I wrote so to be more clear I will edit my rant and repost making sure all the grammatical errors, are up to the standards of the grammar police.

Edited Version

Very stressful and frightening drive to work this morning going through the 9th ward at 4:15 am.
    1. Always make sure a round is in the chamber before you leave home, 2. Mounted light/laser is a must, 3. Slide mounted optic would have been an asset.
    I will preface this by admitting mistakes were made, but things escalated quickly, unexpectedly, and whoever questions my actions wasn’t in my shoes at the time so take this as a learning tool and not an opportunity to point out my grammar, punctuation, or writing skills. I know the law when it comes to justifiable shootings, I was LEO over 35 years ago and had a CC permit since its inception.
    Story starts here, there was an accident and the cops had the Judge Seeber Bridge blocked, so I had to go down Poland to St. Claude Ave. I’m behind a black SUV, he slows and stops 3 car lengths from the light, the guy then gets in the right hand lane and puts his window down like he needed directions, I thought he was lost so I put my window down to see if he needed help. All of a sudden he yells at me and claims I was running up on him ( which I wasn’t) and threatens to get out of his vehicle and beat my ass, not wanting a confrontation, I ignored him while waiting for the light to turn green, then he yells *MF I’ll shoot your F’n ass, I grab my gun, go to rack a round in the chamber and the bullet nose dives on the ramp and jams, he’s still threatening to get out his vehicle, I have no choice but to run the light and turn left (should have made a U-turn and gone back to where the cop was), the guy starts chasing me down St. Claude. I am trying to clear the jam before he catches up. My phone had slid to the passenger floorboard and couldn’t reach it to call 911.
    I had gotten up to 90 mph at one point, and realize this dude is nuts and won’t back off. I slowed down but never let him get even with me, while I proceeded though a couple of red lights as I saw no traffic coming. Then at the 4th red light I had to stop because 3 cars were stopped at the light and I have no way to evade this dude. I should have gotten in the right lane, had better options. Suddenly I’m thinking about the shooting on the west bank a few months ago where McKnight got shot, thinking I wouldn’t want that ordeal, but I’d have no choice should he show a weapon, when he pulls up alongside again, I’d have no choice but to shoot him in the head, about then the light turns green and we start moving again, by this time it was obvious this crazy dude wasn’t going to stop being the aggressor and I’m not about to let him take a shot at me.
    Even though I didn’t see a gun yet, he’s getting more aggressive and I wasn’t waiting for him to take a shot at me when we got to the next light. I brought my gun up expecting to exchange shots. He sees it, hits his brakes and takes a left at an intersection and hauls his ass. There are usually a couple of NOPD cars at Gerald’s Donuts and decided I would stop and report him, but no one was there this morning. So continue on to work with my heart beating out my chest and reflecting on what just transpired and what I should have done. I thought about mistakes/decisions I made and what I will do different if it ever happens again.
    After I filed a report with the 5th district, I find out from a coworker the he had a run in with the same dude in the same area twice last month, he also filed a police report at that time.
    I’m posting this so others can learn from the mistakes I made and be better prepared. I’m not looking for critiques from armchair quarterbacks, I’m not looking to argue laws or tactics or how you would have handled it. I know I made some wrong decisions and hopefully learn some valuable lessons.

Last edited:

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    Wow sorry to hear that. Yeah probably some things I would have done different if I had time to sit and think about it, but that's not how these events unfold. Glad you made it out ok, stay safe out there. New Orleans is a wonderful place...

981GT4

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 31, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    Did you see a gun? did he point one at you at any point in time?

So you were about to kill someone because they said they had a gun? but present you with no clear threat? honestly you need to re-evaluate your judgement process.

words are not justification for use of deadly force.

you even said you thought about the McKnight case! and yet you were about to cap this dude in the head in his car because he said "i have a gun".
    in the McKnight case, that dude Gasser is going to go to jail for the rest of his life..

holy hell...

TheBigRServices

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Loranger, La

So you were about to kill someone because they said they had a gun? but present you with no clear threat? honestly you need to re-evaluate your judgement process.

you even said you thought about the McKnight case! and yet you were about to cap this dude in the head in his car because he said "i have a gun".
    in the McKnight case, that dude Gasser is going to go to jail for the rest of his life..

holy hell...
    i would have done the same thing the op did i think. most important thing to me is seeing my precious family again. weather the guy is bluffing or not is on him. doesnt matter if the jury sees it that way to me. atleast my kids can come visit me in jail instead of at the graveyard.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk

jdavid1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    Hammond, LA
    First off learn to use paragraphs. That was a headache to read through. Second off you were honestly going to shoot a person in another car who didn't even exit his vehicle because he was yelling at you? You felt like your life was in danger because he just said he had a gun?

If he was out of his vehicle and approaching your vehicle I could understand, but you sound like you made your mind up to blast this dude in the head still sitting in his car. If I shot every person who I got in a yelling/cussing match with on the road I would be considered a serial killer by now.

Last edited:

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace

holy hell...

I made a decision to shoot if I saw a gun, I wasn't going to shoot him unless I saw a gun, I know when I can use deadly force, I'm not an idiot, I am a former police officer. I tried to de-escalate the situation but had to be prepared just in case.

981GT4

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 31, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    i would have done the same thing the op did i think. most important thing to me is seeing my precious family again. weather the guy is bluffing or not is on him. doesnt matter if the jury sees it that way to me. atleast my kids can come visit me in jail instead of at the graveyard.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk

so you would just murder someone because they said they have a gun sitting in their car , during a road dispute?

This is is exactly why some people shouldn't have guns..

981GT4

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 31, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    I made a decision to shoot if I saw a gun, I wasn't going to shoot him unless I saw a gun, I know when I can use deadly force, I'm not an idiot, I am a former police officer. I tried to de-escalate the situation but had to be prepared just in case.

thats not what you said. You said "he pulls up alongside again saying he has a gun, now I decide I have no choice but to shoot him in the head suddenly the light turns green and we start moving again, this time I made the decision to shoot if he catches up and pulls alongside again, as I raise my gun to take the shot".

in your own words you already made the decision to shoot this man. While in his car. As a former police officer, you're judgmental skills and articulation of facts are lacking.

luckily for him you did not shoot. And luckily for you you did not shoot. Sitting in Angola for 25 years would not be pleasant.

homeslice

Be honest.
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    St. Charles Parish
    Glad you're OK. Thanks for sharing your version of events and your lessons learned. Those are the most valuable, even if you didn't have to shoot. People will judge your actions or non-action of events for years after, even though they were never there and didn't experience things the way you did.

BDill

What's This For Again
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 28, 2016
    Destrehan, LA
    thats not what you said. You said "he pulls up alongside again saying he has a gun, now I decide I have no choice but to shoot him in the head suddenly the light turns green and we start moving again, this time I made the decision to shoot if he catches up and pulls alongside again, as I raise my gun to take the shot".

in your own words you already made the decision to shoot this man. While in his car. As a former police officer, you're judgmental skills and articulation of facts are lacking.

luckily for him you did not shoot. And luckily for you you did not shoot. Sitting in Angola for 25 years would not be pleasant.
    And we have our morning Douche:rofl:

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    At 4:30 am at St Claude and Poland I am not lowering my window for anyone ever! Know your environment, that is a high crime area and 3 guns required. Loaded ! You say you are a former Police officer and yet you drove 90mph to escape this guy and willing to shoot him in the head in his vehicle ? That would not have been a wise choice. Calling 911 should have been you first move. looking back there are many things you could have done differently so learn from this.

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    First off learn to use paragraphs. That was a headache to read through. Second off you were honestly going to shoot a person in another car who didn't even exit his vehicle because he was yelling at you? You felt like your life was in danger because he just said he had a gun?

If he was out of his vehicle and approaching your vehicle I could understand, but you sound like you made your mind up to blast this dude in the head still sitting in his car. If I shot every person who I got in a yelling/cussing match with on the road I would be considered a serial killer by now.

Jesus, are you an English teacher or something, sorry but I wrote this right after I got to work, while still nervous, point I was trying to make is I should have done some things different, maybe help someone learn from my mistakes, not get beat up for how I wrote the damn thing.

BDill

What's This For Again
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 28, 2016
    Destrehan, LA
    yeah im a douche because, i call him out for not telling the truth, and for potentially murdering someone. ok guy..
    Or the fact had he not had his firearm and made the choice to defend himself if necessary. He could have been the one on channel 4 with breaking news. But go ahead a condemn him for sharing his experience and the thoughts running through his head in the heat of the moment.

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    At 4:30 am at St Claude and Poland I am not lowering my window for anyone ever! Know your environment, that is a high crime area and 3 guns required. Loaded ! You say you are a former Police officer and yet you drove 90mph to escape this guy and willing to shoot him in the head in his vehicle ? That would not have been a wise choice. Calling 911 should have been you first move. looking back there are many things you could have done differently so learn from this.
    Couldn't call 911 at the moment, phone fell on passenger floorboard when I tried to escape the situation. You weren't there, I'm sure you would have done everything right.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    Whatever gun you were carrying get rid of it, if it did not function properly when you needed it then its garbage.

981GT4

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 31, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    Or the fact had he not had his firearm and made the choice to defend himself if necessary. He could have been the one on channel 4 with breaking news. But go ahead a condemn him for sharing his experience and the thoughts running through his head in the heat of the moment.
    what exactly was he defending himself against? someone yelling at him? he openly stated he was about the MURDER someone with no clear threat presented to him. He is in his car driving, any sane person would drive away. or ignore it. If the guy cut him off pined him in got out of his car and ran up to him after saying he had a gun, then that's a different story. clearly this is not what happened. The OP purposely put others in danger by running a red-light, driving at 90 plus MPH, while fumbling with a firearm that jammed.. then pointing said gun at a person who presented no threat of serious bodily harm or death to him at any point in time.

Top Bottom