Taurus 709 slim $189.99 shipped

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Say what you want, I just ordered a second one yesterday. They are great little pistols. I've put a few of the new Taurus pistols to the test. And it appears someone else has too..

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsupers...email&utm_campaign=Product Notification Email

http://www.gunsandammo.com/handguns/compacts/single-stack-9mm-shootout/

I currently have two PT 111 pistols, two 740 slim pistols and by Wednesday will have two of the 709's. For the money they make great hideout guns.

Academy carries the spare mags for all these pistols in the low 20's

Last edited:

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    Be sure to keep them in twos or threes in case one of them fails. The remaining ones can hold the fort while the broken one goes back to the factory. They can work in a rotation with one pistol always en route to the factory, one getting repaired, one on the way back to you, and at least one of them keeping you safe.
    I admit that these kinds of budget guns tempt me from time to time, but at the end of the day I already own Glock and HK.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Lol, yeah, I own a number of high dollar pistols too. I've sent a Kahr, sig, Walther and Ruger pistol back to the factory for breakage. And my first USP 40 had to go back before I even got a chance to shoot it, but I still like H&K's.
    Curiously enough, not one of my Taurus pistols have broken or presented any problems.

Just curious, how many Taurus pistols have you had to send back?

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Btw, to anyone who is considering one of the sub $200 Taurus pistols, try not to let someone who just likes to badmouth a product they have no personal experience with sway your decision. Do your own homework.
    If I listened to every down in the mouth nay sayer I ran into I'd be a lot worse off than they are.

Last edited:

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    23 March 2017: So what we can conclude from this discussion is Taurus has some QC issues, and their CS isn't very good. You buy a Taurus and if you have an issue, you just might be on ur own. I personally have owned and/or sold 3 or 4 Taurus handguns over the last 25 years and haven't experienced any of these issues. Guess I am lucky.

I just purchased a Taurus 709 Slim compact 9mm single stack from Sportsmanguide maybe 2 months ago, for $227. Twice to the range and it eats anything I put thru it. Not a single issue or hickup. Very impressed. Adjustable sights too. SG is selling em now for $200...a freaking steal! Very similar to the Glock design, strips the same.

Taurus 709 Slim at SG http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/taurus-709-slim-semi-automatic-9mm-3-barrel-71-rounds?a=2122201

Great minds think alike. Out of stock at Mag's link above but still available at Sportman's Guide for $190 if your a member of their buyer's club. $200 if your not. + $15 shipping and whatever your FFL charges on his end. Tangi Tactical in Ponchatoula charges $20, Joe is a super smooth cool operator, tell him I sent you.

Tangi Tactical link to contact info http://www.louisianasportsman.com/merchants/details.php?id=12547

I picked up a second Taurus magazine for $28 delivered to my house, on Ebay.

bvdh3gd7llpz7mqn8fuz.jpg

Last edited:

Redd508

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    My dad has the 709 and PT111 and hasn't had any problems. I borrowed the 709 for a while not expecting to like it but i did. The trigger isn't great but its far from horrible. My only problem was the small grip. I can't fault the gun for that. I put a Handall jr on it and made it much easier for my big mitts to grip it.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Trigger isn't bad imo. One has to remember it is a self defense, pocket, or backup weapon, not a precision target range weapon. You won't be shooting any IPSC matches with the Slim for sure.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Trigger isn't bad imo. One has to remember it is a self defense, pocket, or backup weapon, not a precision target range weapon. You won't be shooting any IPSC matches with the Slim for sure.

Second that, and thanks for the FFL info John. He's right in my back yard.

I noticed that the triggers in all these little Taurus pistols are long pull in the first shot,
    (Far from heavy) but after that first shot, reset is pretty short. The sweet spot can be maintained with just a slight release, maybe 1/4-3/8". My first one was the 740 and I realized that.

Sorry the link I posted ran out. I should have put it up the other day when I ordered.
    These guys will likely have more. I order from them regularly.

Hickock's YouTube channel did an honest review on the PT 111, btw.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Speaking of Glock, is anyone here old enough to remember when they first hit the market? Oh man, the criticism and jokes about that Austrian "plastic pistol" went on for quite some time. And just look at them now. I still have my first gen Glock 22

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA

Well maybe Jerry Mikulek could shoot a match with it quite well :) I was able to keep 6 rounds all in the head on somebody else's silhouette target @ 7 yards, off hand slow fire. Works well enough for me. And ate every single round I fed it without issue, FMJ or HPs.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Speaking of Glock, is anyone here old enough to remember when they first hit the market? Oh man, the criticism and jokes about that Austrian "plastic pistol" went on for quite some time. And just look at them now. I still have my first gen Glock 22

I am. I purchased a gen 1 17L, my first Glock, probably late 1980s. The news media was touting as a plastic pistol, able to slip thru airport x ray machines undetected......dumb azzes.
    I sold it down the road. Next was a G19 gen 2. Still have that one.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    Lol, yeah, I own a number of high dollar pistols too. I've sent a Kahr, sig, Walther and Ruger pistol back to the factory for breakage. And my first USP 40 had to go back before I even got a chance to shoot it, but I still like H&K's.
    Curiously enough, not one of my Taurus pistols have broken or presented any problems.

Just curious, how many Taurus pistols have you had to send back?

The only guns I have ever sent back were a Colt Officers ACP for the front sight(twice) and a Colt Cobra for the cylinder spring.
    My PT92 magazine issue was fixed by using Mecgar mags. I had no problems with a Model 85 or PT1911 I once owned.
    My opinion on the newer(Millennium and after) pocket pistols is based on experiences of others. I am glad that your experiences have been positive. You seem to be having fun. It is not my intention to ruin it for you.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    My opinion on the newer(Millennium and after) pocket pistols is based on experiences of others. I am glad that your experiences have been positive. You seem to be having fun. It is not my intention to ruin it for you.

It's all good man. I'm just trying to pass a deal on to our members. I really don't think you could ruin my good time. 6 pocket pistols that all shoot great for about $1200 total. I will shoot the hell out of them.
    Deals like these are for anyone who doesn't give a hoot about keeping up with the Jones or smart enough to ignore the bad mouthing. I will post them when I find them regardless

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
    Top Bottom