Help! Value and info on Marbles tang.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deo volente

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2016
    Grove OK
    Does anyone know about this sight? I know its a Marble tang sight but is there a specific gun it goes to? It was in a box of some auction goods I bought so I have no real info on it. I cant even find a picture of one with scribe work. Any info would be greatly appreciated. It is marked W1 on the bottom. Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      160.7 KB · Views: 129
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      231.3 KB · Views: 134
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      188.3 KB · Views: 144
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      231.5 KB · Views: 133
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      227.4 KB · Views: 130

Deo volente

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2016
    Grove OK
    I have searched for hours on the web trying to find one like it. I cant find one with the scrolling to determine value. I was thinkig maybe it was originally on a special edition rifle and maybe someone could identify it for me. I have a friend who is a gun encyclopedia and he has never seen one exactly like it. I handed this guy a mannlicher schonauer mag part and he identified it in a wink! Reading some of the stuff on here I knew there were also some encyclopedias amongst us.

bigsampson

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Do a google search for marble arms.
    Still being made today and are popular in certain circles.
    I'm sure they could give you good info like date of manuf, etc.
    Was a very common sight on lever action and falling block rifles.
    Even on shutzen style rifles. Marble still sells several models over on Brownell's website. I think they had the t-1 listed.
    Taylor makes a similar one.
    There were several versions made. The post style tang sight like you have and the more complicated, and expensive, ladder style.
    These sights gave you the range you needed with the rainbow trajectories of the 38-55, 45-70 and similar rounds. At close ranges, you use the standard sights, at longer ranges, you flip up the tang sight.
    Are actually very accurate. I have a Sharps 45-70 with a Marble's ladder sight. You can reach waaaay out there and ring steel.
    I don't think it is worth all that much, between 100 and 200 or so, but who knows if you find the right person.
    The engraving was probably after market to match some fancy engraving on the gun.

http://www.marblearms.com
    http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/sights/rear-sights/improved-peep-tang-sight-prod27447.aspx

Last edited:

Deo volente

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2016
    Grove OK
    Thanks for the replies. I will email Marbles and see what I can find out. I will let you all know when I get a reply from them. Thanks again.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    W1 on the base tells us it fits a Winchester 1894 but do you think It may be a specialty sight because of the scroll work?

Winchester has always been know for making "fancy grade versions" and or special editions of rifles. More than likely the sight came off of something like that. I'm sure someone on a Winchester forum knows. There are people who to say is obsessed with old Winchester would be an understatement.

Deo volente

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2016
    Grove OK
    Finally got a reply from Marbles. Here it is :
    "We never did any scroll work to any of the tang sights. Look to been done after market. Also, we can’t tell you what gun it was installed to.The value of a sight without the scroll work is about $150.00. It may or may not bring more money due to the scroll work. It would depend on the person.
    We never serial number the old tang sights. So, we would not know when it was made.

Troy Bernson
    Supervisor and Gunsmith
    Marble's Gun Sights"

According to this gentleman there has never been any scroll work factory applied to any tang sight of theirs.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Deb Mev
    Top Bottom