Jeep Cherokee problems, need advice

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    1999 Jeep XJ 4.0
    Recently it has gone dead while idling but cranked right back up.
    Yesterday it went dead and would not.
    It turns over fine.
    I replaced cap, rotor, and coil.
    Fired up and ran fine this morning
    It turned over but did not fire up in the gym parking lot.
    Walking to work right now.

Bottom line: is there a reputable jeep mechanic in the Metairie /nola area?
    I can do stuff and have some tools but diagnostics is beyond me.
    Thanks

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Have you tried hooking it up to a code-reader? I had this happen on a Trans-Am an ex of mine had... turned out to be some kind of Mass Air Flow Sensor.

If finding anything local fails, I definitely have one I could send you just inside Baton Rouge. I have a Wrangler and couldn't find a good place locally that was worth the money they were charging.

bryanbag

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Prairieville, LA
    Sterling Auto Repair
    4712 Trenton Street
    Metairie, LA 70006
    (504) 229-0397
    http://www.metairieautorepairservice.com/

They have added on a new building, I would go around the corner to Utics St to now what is the front of the building. They just haven/t update the address on there site.
    Can't remember the owners name, have neen there in a while.
    They have done work for me a couple times and a few family member and have always been very reasonable on pricing and quality work.

Last edited:

Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    Jeeps, and probably other vehicles, have a way to check codes without a reader. I did that and nothing popped up.
    These are things I think it might be:
    Something awry in the fuel delivery system. Could be fuel pump.
    Might be something in the cpu, ecm, whatever it's called. I know literally nothing about that stuff other than such things tend to be expensive.

Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    Sterling Auto Repair
    4712 Trenton Street
    Metairie, LA 70006
    (504) 229-0397
    http://www.metairieautorepairservice.com/

They have added on a new building, I would go around the corner to Utics St to now what is the front of the building. They just haven/t update the address on there site.
    Can't remember the owners name, have neen there in a while.
    They have done work for me a couple times and a few family member and have always been very reasonable on pricing and quality work.

Thanks, I'll look into them

TheBigRServices

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Loranger, La
    Yeah there are a million things it could be. If you don't have the time or knowledge to diagnose the problem you may even save money buy having someone else who can find the problem and fix it rather than throwing parts at it till it works.

dk.easterly

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Clinton, LA
    FYI: The ECM on that year model has a known issue with the harness/plug contacts separating internally. You can Google DIY repairs or purchase reman ECMs already fixed.

Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    Yeah there are a million things it could be. If you don't have the time or knowledge to diagnose the problem you may even save money buy having someone else who can find the problem and fix it rather than throwing parts at it till it works.

I agree, but at 120k+ miles I figure all kinda of things ought to be replaced. I tested the cps and as far as I could tell it was bad. I replaced it and so far so good. I was going to cross test the new one but the battery went out on my friends tester and we forgot to pick up another battery when we got the part.

Of course it ran at first when I replaced the rotor, cap, and coil, so I'll see how it does over the next few days.

I appreciate all y'all's input.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    I ahte intermittent problems whether on PCs I need to work on or cars.

The best one I had was on my old '73 Challenger. It would randomly just shut off on me while driving or at idle. didn't matter if I was on the gas or not it would just shut down and then would start up after a few seconds. Could not figure it out for the life of me. Took it to a mechanic I knew and we talked and he said the fuel filter is clogged. Went to Napa and replaced it worked like a charm. I was happy he talked to me and didn't charge me the normal diagnostic rates at the time I was a young whippersnapper with not a lot of money. It all went to the gas man.

Cajun Camper

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Lafayette, La.
    Worst I ever ran across was when I used to work at the Harley shop a long time ago. Customer brought in his full dresser & stated that it would sometimes die when making a left hand turn. Started checking wires from the handlebars, would turn them & wiggle while engine was running. Never died. Finally loaded up some small tools & took off riding. Made all the left hand turns I could & finally pulled into a parking lot & did some figure 8's. Bike died. Started looking & pulled the coil cover off. Found a small nut that was floating around in the coil cover & when leaning the bike enough in a left turn it would slide to the left & make contact with the threaded stud on the bottom of the coil & short it out. Turns out the owner had the coil cover off for some reason & left the nut loose when he but it back on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RussD2
    Top Bottom