What Self Defense ammo do you carry?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I just picked up a box of Hornady Critical Defense 165gr. I haven't had a chance to try them out and compare them to the Hydra-Shok 180gr yet, but I'm curious to see if the recoil is any less.

Using the same brand/type ammunition the lighter/faster rounds normally have more felt recoil. This may vary when comparing different weights from different companies.

youcarrya.40?

No longer carrying a .40
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2017
    Amite La.
    Using the same brand/type ammunition the lighter/faster rounds normally have more felt recoil. This may vary when comparing different weights from different companies.

Interesting, I know when shooting lighter rounds in my .30-06 the recoil is lighter, but that's a bolt action rifle and not an auto pistol. I have read that the 165's are a bit snappier, that's why I'm curious.

Last edited:

bjeepin2

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Hickory, La
    40 S&W 105gr Terminal Shock DRT, it just seems to shoot well in my Glock 23.
    45acp 150gr Terminal Shock DRT. I just like the way it shoots in my Kimber.
    9mm 85gr Terminal Shock DRT. just plain shoots well in my Glock 43 and Shield

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Unless I overlooked it in the thread, I'm surprised no one mentioned the Hornady Critical Duty line....Same "bottleneck" projectile design as the Critical Defense line- but better penetration vs certain barriers.
    Although I guess there's always the concern for over-penetration, too.

Just thinking out loud, again. :)

EDIT: Never mind- I did overlook at least one. :dogkeke:

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Unless I overlooked it in the thread, I'm surprised no one mentioned the Hornady Critical Duty line....Same "bottleneck" projectile design as the Critical Defense line- but better penetration vs certain barriers.
    Although I guess there's always the concern for over-penetration, too.

Just thinking out loud, again. :)

EDIT: Never mind- I did overlook at least one. :dogkeke:

Yep! Critical Defense is designed to perform best in typical subcompact concealed carry guns (small frame, short barrel). For everything else the Critical Duty is a much more capable round. So the correct answer is...both. :D

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    Golden Saber or Hornady Custom XTP in 9mm. Always the heavier bullets. I find the 115's to have more recoil/snap. I shoot the heavier/slower rounds better.

I reload but just don't carry them. I do have them in loaded mags for home defense.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Gave my wife so target Nosler 9mm HP for her 9mm. As it is a alloy framed SS slide gun. We are old school here. My dad carried a full size 1911 Colt 70 series with 230 ball for years {Clint Eastwood style}
    Wanted her to be able to have a good follow up shot and figured it would be up close and personal if she ever had to use it anyway

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    The Federal HST is some darn good ammo for what ever caliber you happen to be using! Got them in my and the wife's Glock 19s.
    In our East German Makarov pistols, we are relying on Hornady Critical Defense ammo.

iwhodat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2017
    River Ridge, Louisiana
    I have Hornady Zombie Max 9x18 in my Polish P64. I love that pistol so much. Very accurate for such a short barrel. It's 43 years old, and looks like it was made yesterday. I know that's off topic, but I couldn't help myself:D

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    ZMax is the same as Critical Defense, other than being loaded in a brass case vs nickel plated, and the tip color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom