Driving after a seizure question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I know a woman that had a seizure last week and was transported to the ERl. I had a friend that had a seizure about 10 years ago on vacation in Arkansas and was taken to the ER.
    The state of La. took her DL for 1 year so no driving for a year.
    My question is how is the state notified that a person has had a seizure and the process for the DL to be pulled? Is it the hospital that reports it or who and does everyone that goes to the ER with a seizure get the DL pulled for a year?

oldman45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    northwest LA
    As in the case with my mother, I reported her to the DMV. She was made to get medical approval to drive afterward and she failed to get her license back again.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    There is a form supplied to the police departments that is filled out and sent to the DMV. The DMV then calls the person in and makes them prove that they are safe to drive. Anybody can go to DMV and fill out the form. Don't think the hospital will do it, patient-doctor privilege.

wcweir3

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Gonzales, LA
    My wife had 3 seizures about 3 years ago and was transported to St Elisabeth twice and once to Lady of the Lake and no one reported her, but she didn't drive until for a year. That was because we wanted to make sure if she was involved in a wreck it would not bit us in the a**

pyreaux

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    BRLA
    A relative of mine had several, the first due to the suspected causes did not result in the doctor recommending taking his license. After a second quite a while later it was either taken or the doctor requested he not drive for ~6 month with a doctor's evaluation to get back to driving. Seems like the docs have some discretion depending on the suspected cause. In this case he did not fight it so I'm not sure if it was actually taken/suspended.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    People with narcolepsy can drive. Whether by choice or law most drive manual transmissions I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    My first wife, may she RIP, was so pissed when she started having seizures in 2005 because of the law that required her to lose her license until she was seizure free for a period of one year. Little did we know at the time that she would never drive again.

OTOH, I heard my half-brother allegedly suffers from seizures and the last time he spoke to me, he told me he was studying for his CDL. :confused: I was told that he was never medically treated for them, and knowing him, it may have been a lie. Long story short, he asked me to help him get a welding job and failed a drug test after swearing up and down that he was clean. After that fiasco, he told me that he smoked pot to control his seizures and I told him I was done trying to help him get a job! We haven't spoken much since then.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dpoirier63
    Top Bottom