Melonoma gone!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    Back in October 2015 I discovered a lump in my neck. Trust me, the only good lump is in your mashed potatoes! I was diagnosed with stage IV melanoma. It had spread throughout my body and my abdomen was full of tumors. Inoperable, and as melonoma doesn't respond to chemotherapy or radiation it was terminal.

They started me on the new immunotherapy drug Keytruda. Four days after the first infusion the tumor in my neck started evaporating. I just got the results from the latest PET scan (Monday). Everything is normal, no indication of cancer anywhere! No inflamed lymph nodes, nothing! It's been a long road, getting from there to here.

Looks like I'll be on the green side of the grass a while longer. If I can be of any comfort or provide encouragement please let me know.

Never give up, never surrender! Take no prisoners, give no quarter!

Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    This is excellent to hear and am glad for you and your family...That stuff is scary and know two people in the last month who have died due to melanoma. Somebody must have great plans for you!!

Expert684

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Lafayette
    Great news! I'm a firm believer (I'm 59) that I have less life ahead of me than behind me. Live life to the fullest! Enjoy and savor every day! :rockon:

RG43

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2016
    Covington, La
    I can relate to how you feel to some degree. I've got an excessive number of moles (by upper torso looks like a star map, the stars being brown dots). I get checked by the doctor every 6 months, and ave for a couple decades now. A little more than 15 years ago, I was moving and had a final checkup with my dr before the move, and instead of taking a full biopsy, he just took a punchout of the mole in question and sent that for analysis. I'm preparing to leave when I get a call that it turned up some form of malignant, but was really too small a sample to be sure. He wanted to take the whole mole off so it could be more properly tested. I spent 2 weeks anxiously waiting to get the results back, thinking the worst was quite possible, and trying to prepare myself for it. Usually my moles that get biopsied test as abnormal, which is to say they have the potential to go bad, but aren't in process to do so yet. This one came back abnormal like the others, and I was never so glad to hear my mole was abnormal. That was the closest I've come to such a diagnosis.

I can only imagine what it must be very challenging to actually be diagnosed and go through treatment, not knowing if the treatment has any chance of success, much less hope for total remission. That is fantastic news for you, and I'm sure gives you a new lease on life.

BTW, was it a growth on the outside of the skin? Was it visible as a mole or other abnormality on the skin? Or was it under the skin, not really visible but could be felt when rubbing the area with your fingers? I'm curious if melanoma can be below the skin or just on the surface of the skin. When you say a lump, I imagine something under the skin.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wagon461
    Top Bottom