Cerakote

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alto8345

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2011
    Folsom, LA
    I'm wanting to cerakote one of my pistols and was thinking about purchasing a kit.. anyone have any experience with it and is it worth it? I could pay someone to do on pistol but for the price I could buy the kit and work on a couple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CG&L

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2016
    Pine Grove, La
    I'm starting a custom shop and getting into painting. It's tough and expensive to get going. Tough may not be the right word, there's a lot to learn to do a good job.
    A lot of people do their own guns and are satisfied with the results.

What type of pistol are you wanting to paint? Who makes it if it's a 1911? Are you going to blast and zinc Park before painting?
    There can be a texture difference depending on whether you use an airbrush or a mini like an Iwata
    I've painted a number of guns, there's a lot to learn

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    My best advise is to get the guns as disassembled as you can and clean them extremely thoroughly with UNDILUTED Simple Green. Do not add water, i repeat, do not...

I have painted alot of guns (and cars, and womens shoes, and patio furniture and all kinds of other stuff) and getting the grease and oil out is the most important. I have tried alot of chemicals and simple green (Straight) is the best I have found to clean guns. If the surface is not damaged (IE, the blue or park is intact and not rusty) you do not need to blast. I have painted over alot of factory finishes with great results.

Hang all of your parts up with plenty of clearance around them, and avoid direct sunlight on your parts (the gun parts, hopefully you are wearing pants when you do this) as the sunlight will accelerate drying. Follow all of the mfg info on mixing, pot life and application to the T.

Top Bottom