Quitting smoking...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DuckYou

Angry Wiener
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I smoked for over 12 years. Today I do not crave cigarettes - in fact I hate the smell.

what I did:

i quit using the patch for 3 months and did not touch a cigarette for 5-6 months.

i craved cigarettes and I did not want to keep that up - So I bought a pack of American Spirit full flavor cigarettes. I made a deal with myself that I would put out the cigarette the second I found it nasty.

i did not smoke a full cigarette and I did not smoke the whole pack. Some I lit and put out after one drag, others I smoked 3/4 of it.

that was 10 years ago.

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    Just wanted to stop back in, thank everyone for your advice and suggestions etc., and give an update. As of today (my 33rd birthday) I am 19 days 100% cigarette/nicotine free! Chose to try the cold turkey route this time (as it is one of the few I've never tried before) and so far, so good! I have even tested my self by hanging in smokey bars with friends who smoke, to see if I were truly up to the challenge this time, and not even one puff since I decided to quit! I must admit I am both extremely proud of myself and quite shocked that I am doing so damn well with this. I suppose it's true what they say: Once you're truly ready to quit, it comes fairly easy. Hasn't been a full month yet, but so far it has been surprisingly easier than expected. I must truly be ready for this life change. And think of how much money I'll save and can use to buy more guns and ammo! Thanks again, everyone! Have a blessed day. And if anyone else is looking for advice on quitting smoking, if I can quit cold turkey after 17 years of being a smoker, you can do it too!

sloppy joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    i quit smoking for 2 solid years. the cravings never stopped. started smoking again. tried again with mints, which helped but eventually failed.

red seal wintergreen long cut worked. *spits*

bryanbag

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Prairieville, LA
    I'm on my 3rd year of being smoke free. I quit by switching to Vaping ( not with those big clouds producing box mods ) I started off with cigarette size vape pens (by V2Cigs) working my Nicotine level down gradually. Got to a point where I had trouble dropping the nic level. Switch to a little more powerful vaping unit where I can adjust the voltage/wattage this allow me to drop my nic level but use a little more power. Over time i would drop the the voltage/wattage. When I got to a certain point I would drop the nic level a couple points but turn the voltage/wattage back up to where it felt the same as the higher nic level and repeat the process over again till I was at a very low to zero nic level.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    As of today (my 33rd birthday) I am 19 days 100% cigarette/nicotine free!

Congratulations!

I have never been a smoker, but I've had a few close friends quit, and I saw firsthand just how hard it is to break the addiction.

Two months go I had to say goodbye to my 61 year old uncle that was a lifelong smoker. Breaks my heart to think of how many families are devastated by lung cancer.

Mike

SherW

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2017
    Canada
    That is good StephenWhoDat. Great decision! It might be hard in the first few days but never go back. Have strong determination and cling to it. Whenever you feel to smoke, try to divert your mind.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    After 15 years of smoking 2-3packs a day I decided I was done and this 4th of July will make 7years smoke free. The reason I was able to quit if because it was the one time I chose to quit for me it was what I wanted.

jneubig

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Dec 19, 2015
    Houma
    I smoked for 30+ years. Tried several time half heartedly to quit. Finally made up my mind 7 years ago and have been smoke free ever since. I did use Chantix for 40 days. Took over 3 years for the occasional urge to go away. You can do this and your body will thank you every day!!

Top Bottom