Put Up or Shut Up! Again! Best Chance for Constitutional Carry is Now!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Point well made and taken. No arguement there. My point is/was that while Edwin Edwards was not the best for the state, neither was he the worst. And in my opinion, he did not start/create the crooked political structure in the state. It was well in place many years earlier before he first took office.

You know most Edward supporters just admit they messed up supporting him back then and move on. Really no reason to hold on to the past.

Now let me go pick a gun group and make a donation.

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    You know most Edward supporters just admit they messed up supporting him back then and move on. Really no reason to hold on to the past.

Now let me go pick a gun group and make a donation.

You know, I might not be or have ever been an Edwards supporter? ;)

Now, hopefully we can all get back to trying to get this Constitutional Carry supported by our representitives!

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    Could not be there because I am baby sitting a sick child. But I have been contacting by email and phone calls over the past few days to my representitive who happens to be on that committee.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    So, how many of you are at the hearing today supporting this bill?

Too far of a drive for me up here. Plus I forgot it was today because I missed the NRA-ILA action email (that they expended so much political capital by sending out).

Must be stuck in my spam filter...........

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Too far of a drive for me up here. Plus I forgot it was today because I missed the NRA-ILA action email (that they expended so much political capital by sending out).

Must be stuck in my spam filter...........

NRA was neutral on the bill.

The vote was 8-5 to defeat the bill. There are 7 democrats and an independent on the committee. You have no concept at how difficult it will be to get that bill through the committee.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    NRA was neutral on the bill.

The vote was 8-5 to defeat the bill. There are 7 democrats and an independent on the committee. You have no concept at how difficult it will be to get that bill through the committee.

I honestly do understand how difficult it is to get it through that committee. I also have a long memory and can recall how the NRA felt the same way about Heller.... until they were literally forced to come along for the ride.

Most importantly, I understand everything YOU do for our 2nd Amendment rights in Louisiana. Please do NOT interpret any of my criticism of the NRA as ANY criticism of you or the Louisiana Shooting Association.

tunatuk

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Ascension Parish
    That comment was totally uncalled for. Edwin Edwards did not ruin the state, he just continued the ruin started by many before him. You seem to be placing all the blame of the crooked schemes and bad political dealings on him and not on many others that had a hand in the underhanded stuff that took place. Remember the "Long" dynasty? With that comment I now see what "color" you are and have no respect for you or any comments you make. :mad: Now, where is that ignore button that this forum so desperately needs?

Not that I am doing it to him, but if you click his name, then view profile, under his avatar you can "add to ignore list"

sliguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    louisiana
    And herein lies my general frustration. Some involved people understand that at this time the rock can't be moved, and others throw stones demanding they move the rock.

Volunteer your time to learn whats happening behind the curtain and then you might have a better idea as to where your stone throwing will do the most good.

It sounds like you are saying the equivalent of: It's not worth doing the right thing if it won't work anyways. Which further implies that the LSA WOULD support the bill if only the bill had the support to pass. :squint:

Can you explain in more detail why that's not what you are saying?

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Let's make a quick distinction here:

LSA previously referred to in this thread was to Louisiana Sheriffs Association. This is not the same as Louisiana Shooters Association who is pro-constitutional carry. They showed up at the hearing.

Someone else posted something about the Sherrifs association being against Constitutional Carry. I don't want folks in this thread to mistake that for Louisiana Shooters Assoc.

That is all.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    So LSA and NRA won't fight for Constitutional carry but will spend time fighting HB223? LMAO what a joke!

The only consolation I would offer is the news reported that The Sheriffs Association, and 2 other law enforcement lobby groups opposed the measure(and I would bet my last penny, way before it got to this committee). That is why it didn't have a chance (as Dan Zelenka), mentioned. I am very familiar with how these scumbag politicians play the game up there. The fates of many of these Bills are predetermined with phone calls, and/or over free lunches!

No private citizen is any more pro-law enforcement than I, but for these lobby's to oppose these pro-citizenry gun laws as being some ******** safety issue is disingenuous and phony! I also completely discount ANY of the politicians using that as an excuse because those that use safety concerns as the main reason they oppose it is complete horseshit! They too, have their marching order long before this committee hearing.

The question is, why do they pretend that the process is fair with those ******** dog and pony displays? Hardworking laypeople that use their personal time to go to the Capitol are going because they believe their voices and their opinions matter. They are wasting their time, and the least these scumbag politicians could do is come clean with the way it works.

I have sat through too many of these to believe any of them are actually not predetermined! The ones that are even more grotesque and pathetic are the ones where right at the time of the vote, the representative or senator the Bill needs to pass (or fail), has to leave the room!

You all remember this, Mississippi has Constitutional Carry! Mississippi!

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The only consolation I would offer is the news reported that The Sheriffs Association, and 2 other law enforcement lobby groups opposed the measure(and I would bet my last penny, way before it got to this committee). That is why it didn't have a chance (as Dan Zelenka), mentioned.

It was the same in North Carolina. The NC Sheriff's Association would talk a blue streak about how pro gun they were, but they could be just as bad as Democrats in opposing good legislation.

My experience with legislators is that you need to be on their doorsteps regularly, and you need an organized group of people in tow that will jam their phone lines and fill their email boxes. A torrent of misery from voting constituents is about the only way to turn that battleship.

I just started a new job here and don't have the liberty yet to leave work mid-day to go make legislators feel incredibly uncomfortable. Hopefully I'll be able to start doing more of that in short order.

Mike

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    My experience with legislators is that you need to be on their doorsteps regularly, and you need an organized group of people in tow that will jam their phone lines and fill their email boxes. A torrent of misery from voting constituents is about the only way to turn that battleship.

Mike

This is exactly correct. Everyone who has any complaints about the job the Louisiana Shooting Association is doing at the capital needs to understand that there is no paid staff, officers or lobbyists. It is strictly volunteer. For every hour I spend working on gun rights matters (and I assure you it is many), I could be working on matters for clients for $250 per hour. I do it, because I think gun rights are important. If you do not do the very minimum - write your legislators - stop complaining about what they do or what LSA does. You have not earned the right. If you want to help yourselves, join an organization such as LSA and participate when you receive legislative alerts. Better yet, use Google and learn how to search the Louisiana Legislature for bills related to things that interest you and learn how to check the committee calendars. The more people looking at these things, the more likely nothing will fall through the cracks. When things are before a committee, if you can, go to the capital dressed in conservative clothes and attend the hearing. You do not have to speak. Your presence and the card you put in in support or opposition are sufficient. Don't wear empty holsters, T-Shirts with gun sayings, flip flops or anything else of similar ilk. Slacks and a nice shirt would be best. If you speak make your point quickly and concisely. Stating that its your "God given right" isn't going to convince anyone and doesn't serve our goals. I am happy to help organize people for this mission. Just understand that both sides are in for the long haul and some things will take multiple sessions to get them in position for passage.

Dan

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    This is exactly correct. Everyone who has any complaints about the job the Louisiana Shooting Association is doing at the capital needs to understand that there is no paid staff, officers or lobbyists. It is strictly volunteer. For every hour I spend working on gun rights matters (and I assure you it is many), I could be working on matters for clients for $250 per hour. I do it, because I think gun rights are important. If you do not do the very minimum - write your legislators - stop complaining about what they do or what LSA does. You have not earned the right. If you want to help yourselves, join an organization such as LSA and participate when you receive legislative alerts. Better yet, use Google and learn how to search the Louisiana Legislature for bills related to things that interest you and learn how to check the committee calendars. The more people looking at these things, the more likely nothing will fall through the cracks. When things are before a committee, if you can, go to the capital dressed in conservative clothes and attend the hearing. You do not have to speak. Your presence and the card you put in in support or opposition are sufficient. Don't wear empty holsters, T-Shirts with gun sayings, flip flops or anything else of similar ilk. Slacks and a nice shirt would be best. If you speak make your point quickly and concisely. Stating that its your "God given right" isn't going to convince anyone and doesn't serve our goals. I am happy to help organize people for this mission. Just understand that both sides are in for the long haul and some things will take multiple sessions to get them in position for passage.

Dan

Can you even imagine how strong a lobby we here in Louisiana would represent if just half of the people who hunt, shoot, own, or even like guns; would join a rank and file pro-gun association? Add to that those that do not participate in firearms sports, but respect and stand up for Constitutionality in general.

Hell, I know people (who have no interests in guns at all), that would support the 2nd Amendment just because they know me and know why I believe in it!

Last edited:

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    What did you do for either?

This is the reply I expected.

My point is if either group had put in time fighting for constitutional carry I would be willing to write a check and or join that group. But hey at least those groups are fighting for the folks that slap around boyfriends and girlfriends lol.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    This is the reply I expected.

My point is if either group had put in time fighting for constitutional carry I would be willing to write a check and or join that group. But hey at least those groups are fighting for the folks that slap around boyfriends and girlfriends lol.

It was a fair question.

But let me address the crux of the issue, because you seem to have missed it. The fix was in. I wholeheartedly guarantee these police associations knew damned well they would oppose this as soon as their people left the Committee hearing last time Ivey had it up there. Look, it is a despicable process, but it is the way they do it. If the big players want a Bill killed, it gets killed. These particular big boys carry the Governor under their ball sacks, so he also knows what is going to happen.

You can beat them back, but you need tremendous public support along with full court pressure from opposing forces. Of course you can also win by wooing the big boys to your side with something they want in exchange. I'll leave what that could entail up to the imagination.

As a result, you have to retreat and re-draw your battle plan when you know you are going to slaughter. I hate the phrase "why expend legislative capitol on this or that if you can't win", but I know what it means.

Writing a check or joining a pro-2 group AFTER you see something happening in your favor is like wanting to bet on the Super Bowl after the game is over.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    It was a fair question.

But let me address the crux of the issue, because you seem to have missed it. The fix was in. I wholeheartedly guarantee these police associations knew damned well they would oppose this as soon as their people left the Committee hearing last time Ivey had it up there. Look, it is a despicable process, but it is the way they do it. If the big players want a Bill killed, it gets killed. These particular big boys carry the Governor under their ball sacks, so he also knows what is going to happen.

You can beat them back, but you need tremendous public support along with full court pressure from opposing forces. Of course you can also win by wooing the big boys to your side with something they want in exchange. I'll leave what that could entail up to the imagination.

As a result, you have to retreat and re-draw your battle plan when you know you are going to slaughter. I hate the phrase "why expend legislative capitol on this or that if you can't win", but I know what it means.

Writing a check or joining a pro-2 group AFTER you see something happening in your favor is like wanting to bet on the Super Bowl after the game is over.

As always you make some good points thanks for taking the time to respond accordingly.

To be clear: I have donated a fair amount of money well before seeing anything happen "it's only 2 years that I've quit".

Top Bottom