Put Up or Shut Up! Again! Best Chance for Constitutional Carry is Now!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    My point is that it takes the NRA absolutely zero man power to send out an action alert on this. My point is that they damn well know about this and they are suspiciously silent on it. My question is why?

I can't answer that. If I had to guess? Maybe it's too early in the session to bring attention to this Bill!?!
    I am trying to get an answer. I know they are not ambivilent to this Bill.
    We must admit. This session is chock full of money issues that WILL affect everyone who lives in this state. And though I have no confidence these clowns will fix anything meaningful that will benefit the citizenry as a whole, I know enough about the corrupt process to believe this issue gets sidelined. So, patience is the necessity at this juncture!

WildBillKelso

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2015
    Northshore/New Orleans
    Coming from a state where the legislative body curtails 2A rights at every chance, I totally agree with the OP. We must come together and stand on our own two feet locally. The nra is both a political juggernaut and a lightening rod. They play a very careful chess game on the national level. It might more harmful than good at this point to have the nra involved with this issue. I've seen nra email and calling initiatives used as propaganda to dismiss 2a supporter efforts as "robo-calls".
    I don't agree with everything the nra does or states but I recognize it as one of the most powerful and feared lobby groups in washington dc. With that I support them financially and with action.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I've seen nra email and calling initiatives used as propaganda to dismiss 2a supporter efforts as "robo-calls".

I lived in North Carolina for 15 years, where local gun rights organizations (Grass Roots North Carolina) did more to help the second amendment than the NRA could ever have dreamed of. Which isn't to say that the NRA is bad, per se, although the NRA has (on multiple occasions) hurt pro-gun efforts. I look at the NRA this way: when our goals are aligned, then cool. And when they're not, I'll happily call out the NRA and hold their feet to the fire.

Something we have to be careful of is to not start fracturing the pro-2A community. If we have internal squabbles among ourselves, then we need to solve them quickly and quietly. Always assume that the Bloomberg-paid mommies are reading these forums and taking notes, and that any sort of infighting among us will be perceived as a weakness to be exploited.

I've only lived in Louisiana for weeks now, but I haven't seen a well-organized state level pro-gun organization pounding the shoe leather at the legislature. I would much rather see that type of grassroots organization than to simply rely on the NRA to do our bidding.

Mike

WildBillKelso

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2015
    Northshore/New Orleans
    Great idea! Work and family allowing, I'd be willing to do some laps in the statehouse in BR. Legislators seem to take notice when many people show up at their office representing themselves as constituents and are not lobby group representatives. It's not hard; speaking with legislators is just a regular conversation.

pangris1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    BR metro area
    For those who are so quick to point out who hasn't done what - I've observed the NRA and LSA putting a lot of time and resources into Louisiana.

Not nearly so much as people who complain without spending their time at in CJ committee meetings, etc etc, but rest assured there are a lot more people doing a lot more work than you realize, and I assure you that 98% of people who rant about what the NRA isn't doing don't - and won't - understand the reality of whats going on behind the scenes.

Pretty frustrating to donate the amount of time I do - which isn't nearly what some other have and do - and then read all the "I'm taking my toys and going home" nonsense.

We have a new NRA state liason who I just recently met and is undoubtedly a true believer and dedicated to increasing our rights. The LSA is doing our best to work with the NRA, variour reps, and the other lobbying organizations that carry power in this state.

The NRA isn't perfect - but are you?

Last edited:

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    By the way ... I note that House Bill 68 (authored by Barry Ivey, R-65) is currently sitting in the Committee on Administration of Criminal Justice. I don't see it on the calendar for this Tuesday (the schedule is here), so perhaps it's time to start emailing the committee to give them some encouragement to hear this bill?

Here's a list of committee members (semi-colon delimited to make it easy for you to cut-and-paste):

And here's the email I just sent:

Chairman Mack and Committee Members:

My name is Xxxx Xxxxx. I'm a resident of Baton Rouge and a responsible, law-abiding gun owner.

I am writing to insist that you give House Bill 68 ("Louisiana Constitutional Carry and Restoration of Second Amendment Rights Act of 2017") a fair and timely committee hearing, and that it be advanced with the committee's blessing. This bill recognizes that the right to keep and bear arms is not a privilege to be doled out prescriptively by the government. Nor is the right to keep and bear arms one that should be subjected to burdensome fees that put a concealed handgun permit out of reach of our state's poorest citizens (who, in many cases, live at-risk in some of our state's most dangerous areas).

At least thirteen states have now repealed the need for a concealed handgun permit, and I would very much like to see Louisiana join these ranks.

I will monitor the actions of the committee closely, and I will look forward to learning about your support for this important legislation.

Respectfully,

Xxxxx Xxxxx

You want to make a difference? Let the legislators know that you're paying attention. That's far more effective than sending the NRA another check and hoping for the best.

Mike

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    For those who are so quick to point out who hasn't done what - I've observed the NRA and LSA putting a lot of time and resources into Louisiana.

Not nearly so much as people who complain without spending their time at in CJ committee meetings, etc etc, but rest assured there are a lot more people doing a lot more work than you realize, and I assure you that 98% of people who rant about what the NRA isn't doing don't - and won't - understand the reality of whats going on behind the scenes.

Pretty frustrating to donate the amount of time I do - which isn't nearly what some other have and do - and then read all the "I'm taking my toys and going home" nonsense.

The NRA isn't perfect - but are you?

Also frustrating to donate my hard earned money to the NRA only to see them VERY conspicuously quiet on this issue.

No worries though. I fixed the problem. I no longer have a right to bitch about their inaction because I'm no longer giving them my money. If you need me I'll be bitching about Gun Owners of America from here on out.......

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    No worries though. I fixed the problem. I no longer have a right to bitch about their inaction because I'm no longer giving them my money. If you need me I'll be bitching about Gun Owners of America from here on out.......

GOA is a *far* more effective group than the NRA. If GOA and Larry Pratt could get a tenth of the money that gets funneled to the NRA, the second amendment would be in a lot better shape.

Mike

coance

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2014
    Haughton la
    Just sent some emails in support of this. I hadn't read it until a few minutes ago and I have to say it has something not many laws do today. It is simple and easily understandable. It is not congested with a bunch of unneeded stuff. Really hope it goes thru

pangris1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    BR metro area
    GOA is a *far* more effective group than the NRA. If GOA and Larry Pratt could get a tenth of the money that gets funneled to the NRA, the second amendment would be in a lot better shape.

Mike

Please tell me what GOA has done in Louisiana - I've given them money, I support them as well - but I'm trying to understand on a state or national level how they are "FAR" more effective. Do they pay a state liaison to lobby here in Louisiana? I've yet to meet them if so.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Please tell me what GOA has done in Louisiana - I've given them money, I support them as well - but I'm trying to understand on a state or national level how they are "FAR" more effective. Do they pay a state liaison to lobby here in Louisiana? I've yet to meet them if so.

I can't speak for GOA (or the NRA) here in Louisiana specifically, since I've only lived in this state for a few weeks now. But I can say that on the national level, GOA are a much more no-compromise group than the NRA. The NRA, for better or worse, sometimes compromise and taken a softer edge politically, and they do barter on ratings of politicians. Again: I don't want to throw the baby out with the bath water and assume that everything they do is bad, but I also don't blindly trust them.

The NRA do indeed have state liaisons, and we learned pretty quickly to not trust the guy we had in North Carolina. Again, our state level gun rights organizations tended to do a far better job of scrutinizing pending legislation and ironing out the issues there than the NRA could be relied on to. In some cases, the NRA injected itself and actually did more damage than good.

Mike

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    There once were neighbors in my subdivision whose hands smelled just like their asses from sitting on them all day while others took their turn volunteering in the neighborhood HOA barrel. Some in the barrel had to take extra turns because the smelly handed neighbors would never consider it their responsibility (or duty), to at least see what they could actively do to help; nor bring any constructive advice or suggestions to the neighborhood meetings. Nothing! Just bitched and moaned about this not being fixed, or that thing not looking right, etc.

Then low and behold, an invoice comes in the mail indicating that everyone's dues has gone up in order to pay for the amenities, maintenance, and the bills. The smelly handed neighbors then took their hands from under their asses to flail them in the air in protest and disbelief. "How dare these barrel dwellers raise the dues? What have they been doing with all the money I pay? This is outrageous!" Of course the yearly general neighborhood meeting that everyone is encouraged to attend had come and went (with very little attendance by the smelly handed bunch), and what was to be a small routine monthly gathering with the barrel dwellers, turned into a bigger audience then the yearly meeting. Again, the hands were out from under their asses, but they weren't using them for constructive purposes, just flailing them in anger and distrust; and shouting down the barrel dwellers.

Finally one of the main barrel dwellers (a very easily angered one from the nether region), lashed out at the smelly hands bunch. He was eloquent and articulate as he explained the inner workings of the barrel. He presented facts and logic, and firsthand accounts and on hand experience about how the barrel works. But he was being discounted and almost disbelieved by the smelly hands. So much so that he challenged them to "Put up, or shut up!" with their whining and bitching, and condemnation of the barrel dwellers. And so, some did! Others promised they would also help, but the barrel dwellers knew that was just window dressing and empty talk.

Months went by, and the few smelly hands that agreed to see the inside of the barrel suddenly realized that the barrel was far more complex than they first thought. They realized that having their hands smell like a barrel was far more rewarding than having their hands smell like their asses. And they apologized. But they did something far more important! You see, the smelly hands bunch usually align themselves with like minded people. And those smelly hands that just offered empty promises were told of the work and the workings of the barrel, by the converted and now knowledgeable. Soon, the word spread, and the neighborhood was at peace. Over time, more smelly handed people realized they too should take a turn in the barrel, and all was good with the world.

Moral of the story? If you don't know what the f**k you are talking about, you should take a turn in the barrel!

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    There once were neighbors in my subdivision whose hands smelled just like their asses from sitting on them all day while others took their turn volunteering in the neighborhood HOA barrel. Some in the barrel had to take extra turns because the smelly handed neighbors would never consider it their responsibility (or duty), to at least see what they could actively do to help; nor bring any constructive advice or suggestions to the neighborhood meetings. Nothing! Just bitched and moaned about this not being fixed, or that thing not looking right, etc.

Then low and behold, an invoice comes in the mail indicating that everyone's dues has gone up in order to pay for the amenities, maintenance, and the bills. The smelly handed neighbors then took their hands from under their asses to flail them in the air in protest and disbelief. "How dare these barrel dwellers raise the dues? What have they been doing with all the money I pay? This is outrageous!" Of course the yearly general neighborhood meeting that everyone is encouraged to attend had come and went (with very little attendance by the smelly handed bunch), and what was to be a small routine monthly gathering with the barrel dwellers, turned into a bigger audience then the yearly meeting. Again, the hands were out from under their asses, but they weren't using them for constructive purposes, just flailing them in anger and distrust; and shouting down the barrel dwellers.

Finally one of the main barrel dwellers (a very easily angered one from the nether region), lashed out at the smelly hands bunch. He was eloquent and articulate as he explained the inner workings of the barrel. He presented facts and logic, and firsthand accounts and on hand experience about how the barrel works. But he was being discounted and almost disbelieved by the smelly hands. So much so that he challenged them to "Put up, or shut up!" with their whining and bitching, and condemnation of the barrel dwellers. And so, some did! Others promised they would also help, but the barrel dwellers knew that was just window dressing and empty talk.

Months went by, and the few smelly hands that agreed to see the inside of the barrel suddenly realized that the barrel was far more complex than they first thought. They realized that having their hands smell like a barrel was far more rewarding than having their hands smell like their asses. And they apologized. But they did something far more important! You see, the smelly hands bunch usually align themselves with like minded people. And those smelly hands that just offered empty promises were told of the work and the workings of the barrel, by the converted and now knowledgeable. Soon, the word spread, and the neighborhood was at peace. Over time, more smelly handed people realized they too should take a turn in the barrel, and all was good with the world.

Moral of the story? If you don't know what the f**k you are talking about, you should take a turn in the barrel!

Cool story bro!

Now exactly why the F**K hasn't NRA sent out an email alert on Constitutional Carry? Oh great and powerful Seer of the Barrel..... gaze into its voluntary oaken goodness....... and get back to me when you find an answer, or don't.....none of my business anymore really.........

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Is this a closed meeting or open to the public? Do they open it to public comment? Is anyone thinking of going?

There is no such thing as a closed "committee" meeting on pending Bills. Now, you may not get in if the room is filled; but as I have witnessed before, very few people will actually do anything other than send emails, if they do that. I am sure there will plenty of room. Unfortunately.

I intend on going, and hopefully speaking (I will most assuredly put in a card to testify). But I am not doing it for anyone else but me, and those people in that room who are truly for Constitutional Carry! Those that do nothing but talk ****, or worse, do nothing at all; can kiss my you know what.

Truth is, this should be so important to people in this state, there should be Pro-CC crowds spilling out of the Capitol that day.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Cool story bro!

Now exactly why the F**K hasn't NRA sent out an email alert on Constitutional Carry? Oh great and powerful Seer of the Barrel..... gaze into its voluntary oaken goodness....... and get back to me when you find an answer, or don't.....none of my business anymore really.........

I still do not know that answer. I am sticking to the opinion that these alerts are ineffective when they are too far out in advance of an actual Bill's hearing date.

I hate these politicians with a passion, but truth be told, they have a lot of crap in front of them everyday in there. You probably can't expect them to get a letter, email, or phone call, two weeks in advance of any particular Bill and remember the issue when it comes up. Unless it is a very controversial Bill and has a lot of media buzz. In fact, many of them don't even know what Bills are still in the hopper unless they are on the Committee the Bill will be heard in. This particular Bill needs to get out of Committee favorably. If it doesn't, it's all moot!

The focus now is to encourage the Committee members to vote favorably. But, look! It's the same bunch as last time. The dumbocrats will be the problem, and the black dumbocrats won't even consider a favorable vote because they are all puppets to their puppet masters' narrative to disarm the citizenry; and never want to give up money from government induced fees.

Top Bottom