Words of caution

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PPBart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    My dog got bit on the nose by a snake last week...

My dog (Rottweiler mix) absolutely hates snakes and will literally tear to pieces any she can catch (5-6 in the past couple of years, that I know of). I got bit by a cottonmouth years ago (1973?) at Ft Stewart, GA, spent several days in hospital but no lasting damage.

Last edited:

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    So like when is bleeding out better than a hospital response/treatment even if it costs 200k? Really great logic....SMH

There are these things called jokes... ice breakers... that sort of stuff. Obviously jokes don't register well with anal faces like yourself. (now for Millennial short text) SMH, ROFL, LOL, OMG

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    I live in an upscale neighborhood. The homes are pricey and the yards are well maintained. There are no ponds around but there is a natural drainage ditch about 100 yards from where I was bitten.

I required three bags of anti venom for the Cotton Mouth bite. Each bag runs about $15,000. Then the two morphine injections, 14 hrs in ICU and four days in the hospital.

Wow! I've never been bitten, but I've seen many while hunting. Surely gives me the Willy's for the rest of the hunt.
    I assume you don't have any permanent damage, glad to hear it. I try to pay extra attention at my home, considering the neighbors past experiences and how many snakes in general we have seen in 2 years, but I'm most likely lacking in vigilance.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    There are these things called jokes... ice breakers... that sort of stuff. Obviously jokes don't register well with anal faces like yourself. (now for Millennial short text) SMH, ROFL, LOL, OMG

Hey, thx for the complement. Have a nice day buttercup.

RG43

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2016
    Covington, La
    Thanks for the post, always a good reminder to be watchful. BTW, what are the favored shot for snakes? Would a 38/357 revolver be good? Or would a 1911 45acp be the better choice? And any specifics on what to look for in ammo? I know there is snake shot, I'm just not up on what the variations might be.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    .22 rat/snake shot is worthless on snakes. 38 special with shot works somewhat better, but for me the 12 gauge is always handy and that's the favorite. If it doesn't blow a 6" divot of grass and dirt out of the ground it ain't enough. Course I only kill copperheads and moccasins and the moccasins have heads the size of a cat mostly around here.

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    .22 rat/snake shot is worthless on snakes. 38 special with shot works somewhat better, but for me the 12 gauge is always handy and that's the favorite. If it doesn't blow a 6" divot of grass and dirt out of the ground it ain't enough. Course I only kill copperheads and moccasins and the moccasins have heads the size of a cat mostly around here.

I agree on the 22 rat shot being worthless! I also prefer to obliterate those problem snakes with a 12 guage to the head!

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I roll my own!

Attachments

• IMAG00660.jpg
      IMAG00660.jpg
      236.4 KB · Views: 105

BrandonLSU

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    Treatment is 6-12 vials of Crofab, billed at ~ $20,000 per vial. Hospitals pay ~ $3,000 per vial.
    Then up to 6 more inpatient.

Last edited:

bowhtr1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2016
    US
    I reload cci shot shells in my 357. I use that if I can't reach them with my machete.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

bowhtr1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2016
    US
    Killed 3 more Cottonmouth's today.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom