Words of caution

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldman45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    northwest LA
    Snakes are out. If a ANY snake bites you, it can be fatal. I was bitten last year and my hospital bill alone was $187,000.00. This year I have killed three so far and I do not live in the country. My neighbor killed a Cotton MOuth last week in his driveway.

Watch out where small kids play as well.

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    187k for a snake bite? Where were you living and what hospital did you go to?

I need this info so I know where risking bleeding out is better than going to the ER.

+1 on staying vigilant on the snakes. I killed one cotton mouth last year in my backyard while the neighbor killed a rattler. Neighbor says they have seen copperheads on occasion, but I haven't. When I start seeing the rat snakes in the back, its off limits for the wife and kid when I'm not home.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA

I need this info so I know where risking bleeding out is better than going to the ER.

+1 on staying vigilant on the snakes. I killed one cotton mouth last year in my backyard while the neighbor killed a rattler. Neighbor says they have seen copperheads on occasion, but I haven't. When I start seeing the rat snakes in the back, its off limits for the wife and kid when I'm not home.

These numbers usually make the news and I can't find any reference to it. Which is unusual, but antivenin is pretty expensive. Maybe he needed all 50 vials of antivenin on the market that week?

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA

So like when is bleeding out better than a hospital response/treatment even if it costs 200k? Really great logic....SMH

The OP contracted a really bad infection from the snake bite, if i remember correct when he reported it here many months ago.
    No doubt the medical industry costs are WAY out of control in all aspects.....this isn't a secret or rocket science here.

There is a very effective cancer treatment right now, costs $15,000 a month. Still better than dying tho. One of our members here recently went into remission utilizing this treatment. Keytruda if I remember well.

Officer Nick Tullier (EBRSO) who took 2 rounds 5.56mm, one to the head, is at day 269 on his treatment @ TIRR in Houston. What you think his bill is so far and counting? Probably 2 or 3 million plus, easy. Nick is re-learning to walk right now, with extensive daily therapy.

oldman45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    northwest LA
    These numbers usually make the news and I can't find any reference to it. Which is unusual, but antivenin is pretty expensive. Maybe he needed all 50 vials of antivenin on the market that week?

I live in an upscale neighborhood. The homes are pricey and the yards are well maintained. There are no ponds around but there is a natural drainage ditch about 100 yards from where I was bitten.

I required three bags of anti venom for the Cotton Mouth bite. Each bag runs about $15,000. Then the two morphine injections, 14 hrs in ICU and four days in the hospital.

Since the incident, I have learned a lot about snakes.
    1. Snakes, even non poisonous snakes, eat rats and such. They do not brush their fangs so they harbor the potential for bacteria which can cause infections and possibly death if left untreated.
    2. Snakes are everywhere but we seldom see them since they like to come out at night.
    3. Snakes crawl around the perimeter of homes during the night looking for rats, crickets, frogs, Beatles and other foods.
    4. Snakes give birth to as many as 100 young each year.

In my case, the one time I was unarmed and wearing a pair of flip flops just long enough to take the guns and cameras out of my vehicle for the night. It was dark and I stepped on the snake that had found a place to stay for the night (on my grassy welcome mat). It was dark and I stepped on it. Of course after a fight, I killed the snake. By then, I was in severe pain. I have had broken bones, severed rotator cuff, bullet wounds and the pain from that bite was far worse than anything I had experienced. By the time I reached the hospital (about 45 minutes), I could hardly walk. I got a lot of attention at the hospital and the IVs were in both arms. My youngest daughter is a medical professional with 14 yrs experience. She came to my house and located the snake and brought it to the hospital in a bucket for identification (this was later found to be very important in identifying the snake). The drs told me that the pain I was experiencing was about as bad as a man can stand, hence the morphine and several shots of Demerol.

Once out of the hospital, the shoes were thrown away as was the grassy welcome mat a dr said that snakes resting on grassy welcome mats are common and he had treated three snake bites in his career that were caused by a snake on a grassy mat.. I do not go outside without my boots on now.

Mojo873

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 24, 2014
    Prairieville, Louisiana
    Yes Sir, it is very important to identify the snake that bit you so that the doctors will know which anti-venom to use for the snake bite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

youcarrya.40?

No longer carrying a .40
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2017
    Amite La.
    good reminder!

A couple years ago when my wife was working late shifts, she pulls into the driveway/ parking area of our home which is in a bit of a rural setting, and because she's not keen on spiders I greet her at the door in case I have to smash a wolf spider or two. Much to our surprise, there's a copper head about 4ft long laying right across our door mat. I promptly grabbed my boots and a shovel and separated it's head from the rest of it. We look carefully when opening exterior doors now, especially at night!

El Rubio

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Ponchatoula
    I know people who "take no chances" and kill every snake they see. I live very close to the swamp and see my fair share in the yard. My neighbor, who lives between me and the swamp killed a "rattler" with a shovel. He said it was shaking its tail. It was a king snake. Reading this made me curious as to how many deaths occur due to snakebites. According to Wkipedia, about 7-8k people are bitten in the US annually. Of those, about 5 die, and of those, most were bitten by Eastern/Western Diamondback Rattle Snakes. They actually list the names of the people who died and the situation of how they were bitten. Most didn't seek medical attention and several were bitten by pet snakes. One lady in CO was killed by her pet Black Mamba - WTF? Copperheads account for the most bites, but are the least toxic.

I've seen a few copperheads and a few more water moccasins here over the years. I've killed only three of the moccasins in about 15 years. One, last fall was large and was seen more than once. He was about 2-3 feet long and being tormented by my black lab. He got away, but was back two nights later, just outside my screen patio door. My wife opened the door and it was right there. It puffed up and took off. It looked like it was 6 feet long and 3 inches in diameter when it was moving. I shot him only because he was hanging around and someone, or one of my dogs, was eventually going to cross it. I don't like snakes, but I don't go out of my way to kill every one I see. I have driven on US 51 between ponchatoula and Laplace and have seen vehicles try to run over snakes on the road.

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    Several years ago I was going outside around dusk. We have a sliding patio door and I had slid it open and was about to step out but just happened to look down and there was a cottonmouth stretched out against the threshold. I went out another door and got a shovel and dispatched it.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Not afraid to admit I hate snakes. If I cannot identify it quickly enough then it becomes part of the genus "Deadus Snakus Bestus". I have a pond and try to keep the yard mowed very low and keep weeds down with roundup. most snakes around here are garter snakes but if it is mostly dark grey/black then it dies.

This reminds me I need to stock up on the 45ACP shotshells.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    My dog got bit on the nose by a snake last week.

I've never seen a live snake in my yard since my dogs and cats keep the population down, but I have found a shed skin and a dead snake.

bowhtr1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2016
    US
    I only kill poisonous snakes. Killed 8 Cottonmouth's so far. They are infested where I hunt. One guy got bite about 30 yards off our property line last year. Took a long time for him to recover. Got him on the hand. I normally kill over 40 Cottonmouth's a year here. Every now and then I may mistake a big water snake. 95% are the real deal.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    My dog got bit on the nose by a snake last week.

I've never seen a live snake in my yard since my dogs and cats keep the population down, but I have found a shed skin and a dead snake.

My Grandfather's dog got bit on the nose many years ago. The nose swelled up big time and some of the tissue started to rot and fall off. Also my Dad had one of his cats get bitten on the neck. Same thing happened, the area swoll up, made a big nasty stinky smelling sore but it recovered. Most of his cats were snake and rabbit hunters.

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I may have missed it in this post, but what kind of snake bit the original poster? There is a lot of detail about the incident, but the snake was never identified. Glad the OP is doing better. I'm like some of the other people in this thread, if it's non poisonous I let it go about its business. If it's poisonous and is too close for comfort it will meet its maker.

hkennc

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Gonzales
    I may have missed it in this post, but what kind of snake bit the original poster? There is a lot of detail about the incident, but the snake was never identified. Glad the OP is doing better. I'm like some of the other people in this thread, if it's non poisonous I let it go about its business. If it's poisonous and is too close for comfort it will meet its maker.

Cottonmouth. He recounts the incident about halfway down the thread.

And thanks to all for posting your stories/examples. I can't remember the last time I saw something other than a garden or ribbon snake around my house but this reminds me that it's certainly possible. This is Louisiana after all.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    rb24
    Top Bottom