Big reds cruising the bay

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    We decided to head to Grand Isle for Easter Weekend and to my surprise all the kids could come except for my son who is in the Navy. My oldest son hasn't been to the island in almost 3 years. He has been very busy working and just started a new job so days off have been far and few between. Because the wind was blowing like a freight train, we decided to fish this afternoon on a rock pile in the bay which would protect us from the wind, so we gathered the kayaks and headed out. We had my wife, my older son, one of my other sons girl friend, and me. With only two kayaks we had to make a couple of trips back and fourth to shore to get everyone to the rock pile. It was a lot of work, but we had a good time. Right off the bat my sons girlfriend hooks a very large sheep head and ended up losing it, but it was very exciting for her. We ended up with a few nice reds, a nice trout my wife caught and this bull red my son caught. We were using live shrimp and dead shrimp, but he said he was going artificial. He pulls a voodoo shrimp from the bottom of the tackle box and ties it on under a popping cork. I'm thinking he's wasting his time as this bait is at least a year or two old, but hey if he wants to have a go at it let him knock himself out. Well on his second cast, he pops the cork twice and then feels a faint tug on the line. He thought it was a catfish, but in the next second the drag is screaming and the fight is on. He is using light tackle, but he is an accomplished fisherman in his own right, so I sit back and watch him play this fish like a fine instrument. The battle lasted over 1 1/2 hours but as the sun set he got him to the rocks and I landed him. The fish turned out to be 37 inches long and prolly 25-30 lbs. It was one of those special days and the memories will last forever. Happy Easter everyone !
    ae2efc267873ea21dcb1e8a3abe47ffd.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
    Top Bottom