Packing Firearms for a Move

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    So I have a good bit of gun cases, but I don't think I will have enough to move them all even if I borrow a few. Anyone have experience packaging Firearms without a case? I was thinking of bubblewrap and tape. Anyone used this? If so, what size bubble wrap did you use? Thanks!

Edit: will be moving about 6 hours away. Can move them in one trip. Not using a moving company. Will probably be loading them in the cab of my truck and/or in a moving truck.

Last edited:

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Depends on how far are you going etc and who's moving it.

If it's a short distance, i would probably make a road trip and just throw a blanket between "layers" of guns.

If it's a moving company, I would want some sort of lockable containers that do not scream "gun"

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    Just call me, I will move them for you from your residence to mine! :D
    In all seriousness, I have shipped long guns using large, medium, and small bubble wrap in cardboard boxes. Some have also been shipped wrapped/padded with ordinary news paper wrapped very well to protect them. I realize you are moving and not shipping them so you can skip the outer cardboard boxes, but the "padding" should work the same. Also, thick blankets will protect them!

Last edited:

Expert684

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Lafayette
    Depending on how and how long to move, you might spray them down and wipe them with a light oil. If you take them out of an air condition house into the hot humid Louisiana weather they can sweat or rust on you.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    So I have a good bit of gun cases, but I don't think I will have enough to move them all even if I borrow a few. Anyone have experience packaging Firearms without a case? I was thinking of bubblewrap and tape. Anyone used this? If so, what size bubble wrap did you use? Thanks!

Bubble wrap and clear packing tape from walmart works well for handguns, then packed in plain ole brown boxes marked "canned goods". Long guns I'd order more low cost cases. What I did once. Most all mine sat in a climate controlled locked storage unit with my other stuff for like 10 months, no issues. Mum is the word. And give em all a heavy oiling before hand.

I still have leftover bubble wrap in my closet. Ya can't beat walmart for costs on packing materials and boxes. There is a box company in NO on Earhart blvd where I purchased about 6 or 8 large boxes. They have a lot of new boxes on hand, all sizes and shapes.

Link the NOLA Box Supply http://www.nolabox.biz/

Oops, ur in BR. But I'm sure they have a box company in BR somewhere, probably 2 or 3.

Last edited:

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    +1 on the bubble wrap... however I would spray them down and wrap them is plastic wrap prior to bubble-wrapping them... then put them in a large outdoor trash bag and use thick zip-ties at the opening and then every 8 inches or so. you can easily stack them and move them... if you want, run some paracord from one zip tie to the other (or another zip tie) and you have a carry handle to carry more than one at a time.

Sulzer

Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Cheap cases will probably cost as much as the bubble warp and tape. 6 hours really isn't that far, we do that pretty frequently for shows and have never had any issues. We use padded cases or Pelican style M16/M4 carriers/crates. Like someone else mentioned they would also be fine in the cab of your truck wrapped in a blanket, towel, tshirt, etc. Slathering them up in oil or breaking out the cosmoline is probably over-kill for a short walk from your air conditioned house to your air conditioned truck or for a short ride. Don't over think it.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Since you're moving it yourself and possibly in your truck... just get a large blanket or "moving blanket"... put one rifle in, fold it over, put another one in, fold it over, etc. etc. etc.

Also, mentioned above... rifle cases are super cheap... I think academy sells the Plano basic cases for low money (gun socks are $6)... basic case? $9.99...

10188597.jpg

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Depending on how long they will be in transit you might want to avoid things that will attract or contain moisture. At least make sure every weapon is cleaned and oiled. Consider silicone impregnated gun socks for the rest; between $7 and $12 on Amazon.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Yeah, six hour trip, no need to complicate things. I'd still do the gun sock thing or low cost cases on my long arms. Cheap insurance against damage. Plan for the worst...what if you were in a accident or some uninsured clown piles into you while travelling? What if you have to move ur weapons unexpectedly during the transit? And it depends entirely on the firearm itself, I'm might treat a Noveske AR a bit different that my el cheapo Mossberg 22 rifle.

I'm kind of anal about my weapons. I don't care for preventable damages or scratches, unless its a dedicated truck gun. I use pistol rugs and inexpensive long gun cases for transit to/from the range. People are different, I have a long time friend who when we go to the range, he throws all his pistols, ammo, magazines, and hand tools in one big ole tool box. He doesn't hesitate to slap his handguns on the bare concrete bench at Nick's. To each its own.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom