Coyote Hunting/Trapping

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Madisonville
    I've been asked to clear coyotes from a 60 acre tract of land. It's next to a few thousand acres of timberland where the coyotes are coming from. Supposedly they are decimating the deer population. I camped out there this past Friday night and, yup, coyotes were howling and circling my camp all night. My lab was not pleased.

I just ordered a starter pack of coyote trapping supplies from F&T https://www.fntpost.com/Products/Trapping+Starter+Kits/Coyote+Trapping+Starter+Kit. It includes:
    1 Pint Coyote Urine w/Spray Top
    1 Pint Reuwsaat All Predator Paste Bait
    1 oz. Dunlap Death Coyote Lure
    1 oz. Dunlap Yote Gland SK Lure

I've trapped hogs with success but have not tried coyotes. Wanted to see if you guys had any suggestions for bait & lure.

Other than a few ATV trails, the area is very dense woods with a mix of high ground and wetlands.

Last edited:

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    You might try out some trapping forums. Also the Fur Fish and Game magazine has lots of articles on trapping and ads for trapping supplies with different lures. Also paperback books on coyote trapping. I've seen this magazine at Walmart.

I've also heard about getting a kitchen sponge and cutting it in half and soaking in bacon grease. The coyotes will eat it and it then blocks the bowels. Not a good idea if you have dogs that run the property unless you want to get rid of those too.

Last edited:

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    I had a co worker trying to trap them, he said that it was very addictive... being that they were super smart and was a tough challenge, I don't remember a whole lot but I do remember he had to boil all his snares and traps in some sort of mixture then coat them with a certain wax for lube that didn't smell and were latex gloves the whole time and transport them in bags ect.... not like my hog trap where I dump a sac of corn and come back in 3 days for sure...

just thinking out loud here, trail cameras, holes under fences and any where rabbits stay is a good place to start

Hoggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Madisonville
    I laid six leg traps down and didn't get any action overnight. There was no action at any of the sights so either I left too much of my scent., which I doubt, or my lure didn't work well enough which is what I suspect. If you wanted to attract coyotes, what type of lure would you use?

YoungMarine

Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    W. Feliciana
    I laid six leg traps down and didn't get any action overnight. There was no action at any of the sights so either I left too much of my scent., which I doubt, or my lure didn't work well enough which is what I suspect. If you wanted to attract coyotes, what type of lure would you use?

In "Hunting the Hard Way" by Howard Hill, he believed the coyote was the smartest wild animal in North America. I believe the story in there described him burying a chicken for bait and it brought one in, but the coyote was so smart it dug up all 6 of his buried traps and the chicken (that is after boiling, smoking traps, putting cloth on ground to set, using gloves etc.)

I've never specifically targeted coyotes, but I've had 3 different ones come within feet of me while turkey hunting, but depending on where you are hunting that may not go over well with game warden having turkey decoys and calls on you out of season....

Last edited:

Hoggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Madisonville
    ...he believed the coyote was the smartest wild animal in North America...

Yeah, I've heard it takes a master to trap yotes. I'm no master. I've had my success with trapping hogs, but hog trapping is about as easy as it gets after understanding basic scent control and animal tendencies. There is a pond on the property. Maybe I'll take a few brim or bass and use the heads and guts for lure.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Why trap them? Why not go out at night with night vision of some sort and a call and just shoot them? Aren't they year round nuisance animal?

homeslice

Be honest.
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    St. Charles Parish
    Having some success with a digital call (Foxpro Deadbone) with the baby rabbit sound at around dusk. Specific numbers is 4 calling sessions, 2 coyotes show up. I call for 1 minute and let it sit quiet for 2. They don't show up every time, but the way it was explained the me that's normal. They get out of range of the call and just don't hear it, so don't get discouraged. I've called them to within 20 yards of the call, but spooked them off trying to get the rifle up. Time will tell if I'm able to pop one. Would love to hear from experienced coyote hunters if anyone on here has any pointers.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Sure, but I don't have night optics.

Yeah that does put a damper on it but they are getting better and cheaper. The X-sight seems to be pretty good for the price and you can use it for more than yotes as well.

Deerslayer440

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 27, 2017
    Sulphur
    Why trap them? Why not go out at night with night vision of some sort and a call and just shoot them? Aren't they year round nuisance animal?

+1

I agree.Why spend money on stuff that most of the time doesn't work.

You need 3-4 things..A good rifle,,cheap nite scope of 4-$500,an nx green light and a green laser.
    Oh and a silencer would be best.

I use to kill between 10-30 a night,every night for 5-6 days on other rancher's [property's that
    were having issues with them.Dead of winter is best time.You can ,if you have suppressor,
    drop one and the rest will circle him to eat him,then drop another,same thing over and over.

Not sure why anyone would think they are smart,they are not.

YoungMarine

Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    W. Feliciana
    Not sure why anyone would think they are smart,they are not.

Says the guy using a rifle, night vision, laser, and a suppressor. If coyotes are not smart, why do you need all of this sophisticated gear to kill them?

It is illegal to hunt coyotes or other outlaw quadrupeds at night from September to February so no dead of winter hunting in Louisiana.

Hoggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Madisonville
    I've got suppressors and all the other gear. The area is dense woods so pulling them into the open is not an option. Best I could do is pull them on a 12' wide ATV trail if I had the proper lure. Never considered electronic calling devices but I'll research that. Thanks for the suggestions.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    If you want to trap from a large group like that you'll have more success catering to the pack. I like the 4" double spring traps but there are many out there. Try a coop feed store for some $10 traps and buy quantity. Find a good spot with a low hanging limb, hang a nice chicken breast 5 feet off the ground and dig in as many traps as you can scrounge. Stake them good and make sure none can reach each other in a circle around the bait, starting right under and work your way out. You may be surprised at how many you catch on the first encounter. If you are lucky, you'll trap a juvenile first and maybe snag a few more trying to assist.
    If you decide to hunt them, I'd recommend a coyote specific electronic call
    cfc273f09533698c87512468d23e26ed.jpg

df509f68687536f7c8e6ec8d7d4b21ec.jpg

For the short time I've had it, I've had great results with this model I got on sale at cabelas. $150 I think. Remote controls volume and calls at a nice distance. I do better with the social call at night to bring in a group and the rodent distress during the day along with a rabbit squeal.
    Get to know the coyote. They group up around dark using certain locating howls. Except for tight family groups, they mostly separate in the daylight hours. Things to consider. Happy hunting.

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    7aca5f165a548bc570b56ddce144e21c.jpg

5a5654b040611783860bab380e942882.jpg

Suppressed .22 pistol took this juvenile at 100 feet in my backyard when he broke through the woodline. Just happened to be in the door of my shop loading a mag.

Marlin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2015
    Baton Rouge
    Easy fix, catch fish, clean fish, dump guts in field, wait nearby with thermal, BOOM! You got em!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom