Question about snakes

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aussiecajun

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Maurice LA
    Gday all. Got a quick question about snakes/snake id. While checking my veggie garden this morning I figured I'd check the drainage ditch behind our house for snakes. Saw what looked to be a cottonmouth, had the fat body for one. The head looked smaller, more like a water snakes. Snake was 2 foot long max. Thing is, when it noticed me it coiled up and opened its mouth, which was white.
    My question is, do water snakes have white mouths as well, or is strictly a cottonmouth trait? Would love to work out exactly what it was so I know whether to warn my neighbours so they can keep their kids safe.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    What color was it? More than likely it was a Water Moccasin (cottonmouth). They're VERY aggressive and will chase you if they feel like it.

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    Not sure about the water moccasins mouth being white also, but I believe the cotton mouth will have a short stubby tail and will emit a very foul odor when agitated as a warning.

BarneyFife

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    North of BR
    Killed a 5 1/2 foot snake at across the street neighbors just yesterday. I don't generally kill obvious non-venomous snakes, but we couldn't tell at a distance if it was or not. It was huge so we didn't take a chance getting close to see. Head looked diamond shaped enough to "dispatch" it. Once dead, we checked the eyes and they were round, so another neighbor that knows more than me about them, said he believed it was a "Banded Water Snake". It did have a foul order, and a white mouth though.

oldman45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    northwest LA
    Having been bitten by a cotton mouth and having a $187,000.00 hospital bill due to the bite, I adopted a policy of the only good snake is a dead snake.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Having been bitten by a cotton mouth and having a $187,000.00 hospital bill due to the bite, I adopted a policy of the only good snake is a dead snake.

WOW....$187k. Another confirmation medical charges in the USA are just super f**ked up. There was a report this week on NOLA if you paid cash for an MRI, it was 1/2 of what many hospitals bill the insurance, and ur co-payment. Sometimes three times the cash price. Read legal mega FRAUD. Many major providers will not give you a price estimate before hand. They just want you to sign that form before hand stating YOU are responsible for all charges insurance fails to cover.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Polizzi
    Top Bottom