How to order prescription shooting glasses?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dtrice

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2011
    Metarie, LA
    I'm curious if anyone here wears prescription protective glasses for shooting. Where were they purchased? Do you buy the frames and lenses separately?

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    I have my eye doctor order them when they order my regular glasses. Don't use anything special. I usually wear bifocals. For my shooting glasses, he has my strong eye focus on the front sight and uses my distance prescription for the non-dominant eye. When I shoot a rifle, I use my regular glasses.

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    I've used Decot high wides for years. Right lens set for front sight, left lens is plain. They can also do a reverse bifocal for your pistol shooting. Another option is prescription insert for cooler looking glasses like Rudy's and Wiley-X.

wcweir3

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Gonzales, LA
    I bought mine at an optical place that does glasses for small eye glass stores that don’t have the equipment to do them in house, they are shatter proof lenses that are made in Israel.
    Wingate

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    I had noticed degrading scores when shooting Highpower. When I shot a lifetime low score at a match I decided to see if changing glasses might be in order. I had worn glasses all my life and had fairly recently (late 40's graduated to bifocals). After explaining my problems my doctor wrote me a new prescription, same bifocal in my left eye which allowed me to clearly see distance and also close as I glanced down at my score book. For my right eye he relaxed the bifocal to get the point of focus at approximately 20 inches to allow me to see the front sight clearly, and inverted the bifocal. Before I went to have the glasses ordered I took a similar pair and got behind my rifle, assumed a good position in prone and then while looking thru my glasses at the sights I made a mark on my old glasses that was the exact center, which happened to be offset from the center of the lens, more toward the inner upper corner. I think this is referred to as the optical center of the lens. That's what I took with me when I went to order the new glasses. I'm told this is sometimes called an "occupational" bifocal.

With the new glasses I went back to the range and this time shot a lifetime high score. I'm sold on these shooting glasses and use them every time now.

Last edited:

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    You didn't say what type of shooting you'll be doing so I'll just let you what I did. I shoot Action Pistol matches and was having problems seeing the front sight like many folks my age, I'm over 60 now. After speaking to another older shooter ho had similar issues he told me he had his Eye Dr. make him a lens for the distance to the front sight. I called his Dr. and made an appointment and explained to the receptionist what I want and that I want to bring several firearms with me. During the exam, I explained what I wanted to do, the Dr. was very accommodating and understood what I was trying to do. Now the right lens is made to keep the front sight in focus . The whole right lens is set to that distance & I put it in an old set of safety glasses. The left lens is a normal lens with bi-focal and this way I can see where I'm walking, read targets and instructions. This system work ok for me, your going to have to decide your best option.

Bryan

Last edited:

dtrice

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2011
    Metarie, LA
    I'd be mostly shooting pistol, but would like to eventually expand to multi-gun. I don't need bifocals, I only need to see distance. I have a pretty recent prescription. I might try out the optical one, since it's near my area. Do they order the frames or only the lenses?

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I'd be mostly shooting pistol, but would like to eventually expand to multi-gun. I don't need bifocals, I only need to see distance. I have a pretty recent prescription. I might try out the optical one, since it's near my area. Do they order the frames or only the lenses?

F5C0E4F7-0341-4E81-86B5-B75948D1BAF7_zps1mwt4vn9.jpg

5C450A07-8E27-4D15-83AA-A561BE8A5020_zps3wwjje0c.jpg

That's what my prescription glasses look like from Optical One. They are actually "safety" glasses, they are comfortable, can be tinted, and has a foam lining on the top (can be taken on/off) that keeps it comfortable, yet keeps brass from burning my face.

I burned my nose bridge shooting with standard glasses before, and since then I bought these to prevent any issues.

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    F5C0E4F7-0341-4E81-86B5-B75948D1BAF7_zps1mwt4vn9.jpg

5C450A07-8E27-4D15-83AA-A561BE8A5020_zps3wwjje0c.jpg

That's what my prescription glasses look like from Optical One. They are actually "safety" glasses, they are comfortable, can be tinted, and has a foam lining on the top (can be taken on/off) that keeps it comfortable, yet keeps brass from burning my face.

I burned my nose bridge shooting with standard glasses before, and since then I bought these to prevent any issues.

What is the name of those frames, I'm using Decot and may want to have a couple of new pairs made, one reverse bifocal and another with my right eye set for front sight and left my normal bifocal.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    What is the name of those frames, I'm using Decot and may want to have a couple of new pairs made, one reverse bifocal and another with my right eye set for front sight and left my normal bifocal.

No idea of the brand. They were just the bottom pair in the case at the Gretna location of Optical one 2 years ago. They were listed as safety glasses.

Slalom.45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I recently bought WileyX prescription glasses. Dominate eye set for front sight, non dominate for distance. I don't wear glasses all the time but do need mild 1.25 cheaters for reading and computer work. I went to the WileyX web site and found a local optometrist who was a provider. They did my prescription and order.

I like my glasses, but I would not order this style again. I believe that some like Rudy Project allow you to change the prescription without buying a whole new set of glasses, and/or change the outer non-Rx lenses for lighting changes, etc.

dtrice

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2011
    Metarie, LA
    I recently bought WileyX prescription glasses. Dominate eye set for front sight, non dominate for distance. I don't wear glasses all the time but do need mild 1.25 cheaters for reading and computer work. I went to the WileyX web site and found a local optometrist who was a provider. They did my prescription and order.
    I like my glasses, but I would not order this style again. I believe that some like Rudy Project allow you to change the prescription without buying a whole new set of glasses, and/or change the outer non-Rx lenses for lighting changes, etc.

The place that Noob recommended is a Wiley x dealer, you're saying to be careful about the frame choice?

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    The place that Noob recommended is a Wiley x dealer, you're saying to be careful about the frame choice?

He also carries Oakley. Tell them Stephen sent ya, couldn't hurt....

Bmash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2013
    Zachary, LA
    http://www.tacticalrx.com/about-tactical-rx/
    I used this company and was very pleased. They are not cheap but great quality.
    For older guys they offer bifocals in the top of the lenses so you can look through the top of the lenses to focus on the front sight of a pistol.
    They send you frames to try and samples of lenses with instructions on how to measure them. My local eye dr doesn't offer shooting glasses so they helped me get the correct measurements.
    I got a frame that is rated ANSI Z87.1+ and has an interchangeable lenses system.

dtrice

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2011
    Metarie, LA
    http://www.tacticalrx.com/about-tactical-rx/
    I used this company and was very pleased. They are not cheap but great quality.
    For older guys they offer bifocals in the top of the lenses so you can look through the top of the lenses to focus on the front sight of a pistol.
    They send you frames to try and samples of lenses with instructions on how to measure them. My local eye dr doesn't offer shooting glasses so they helped me get the correct measurements.
    I got a frame that is rated ANSI Z87.1+ and has an interchangeable lenses system.
    I did see that website but it is expensive. But they seem to have lots of options, too.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I used my vision insurance which covers 1 eye exam and 200 bucks towards frames and glasses each year along with discounts on all the extras. Think it cost me less than 75 bucks for everything after my vision insurance. He bills it as frames and lenses (which it is).

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    John1994
    Top Bottom