City of New Orleans repeals stun gun ban

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I'm done with N.O.

Attachments

• no.jpg
      no.jpg
      42.1 KB · Views: 106

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.

Rahllin

Geaux Tigers!
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    From nola.com: http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2017/04/stun_gun_ban_ends_new_orleans.html#incart_2box

I have no use for a stun gun or taser, but nice to see they also removed the ban on silencers and switchblades.

Let's complain about the NOFD and the statues.
    The council approved a*revised ordinance*unanimously March 9 that removed the words "stungun" and "zip gun" from a list of prohibited items outlined in municipal code. That list includes blackjacks, metal knuckles, switchblades, spring knives, spring guns, iron buckles, sandclubs and silencers -- all of which are still prohibited

Seems that you read that wrong... it says all those other items are still prohibited.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    I didn't read it wrong. Idiot writer got it wrong and we thought back and edited it.
    "Updated on April 26, 2017 at 2:54 PM
    Posted on April 26, 2017 at 10:14 AM"

I see where he made the edit.

"That list includes blackjacks, metal knuckles, switchblades, spring knives, spring guns, iron buckles, sandclubs and silencers -- all of which are still prohibited."

Sent from the Bayou Bunker Command Center, Portable Unit #33, FEMA Region 6.

jlee

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 29, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'd be willing to bet that the unanimous Supreme Court ruling in Caetano v. Massachusetts was a factor in the decision to remove the ban. That ruling centered around a woman who wanted to protect herself from an abusive boyfriend after protective orders didn't work. She didn't feel as though she could shoot him so she accepted a stun gun from a friend as an alternative.

That ruling basically reiterated that "the Second Amendment extends, prima facie, to all instruments that constitute bearable arms, even those that were not in existence at the time of the founding." They went further to state that stun guns could not be banned because they were "dangerous per se at common law and unusual" or because the state felt that the second amendment protected "only those weapons useful in warfare."

I think the best part of that entire ruling was
    Justice Alito's statement that "if the fundamental right of self-defense does not protect Caetano, then the safety of all Americans is left to the mercy of state authorities who may be more concerned about disarming people than about keeping them safe."

WildBillKelso

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2015
    Northshore/New Orleans
    Exactly. They did not want to pay out for a lawsuit. It's happening across the country. Stun gun bans are being repealed to render lawsuits moot.
    Also Caetano was a homeless woman. Unlike what is argued about Heller/Macdonald decision applying only to the home, Caetano recognizes the 2a right without regards to the home.

Top Bottom