Talk to me like I'm a 5th grader about Katrina gun confiscation

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    I personally know of one instance where guns were confiscated and the only reason they were returned was because of political connections. And even then it took years. Will not go into more detail than that.

Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    I don't understand why getting the guns back to the rightful owners is such a task. Did they think that taking people's property and not giving it back to them once the crisis was over was acceptable? That's what thieves do.
    None of this makes any kind of sense

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    I don't understand why getting the guns back to the rightful owners is such a task. Did they think that taking people's property and not giving it back to them once the crisis was over was acceptable? That's what thieves do.
    None of this makes any kind of sense

That is local, state, and federal government for you. Havent you heard, they are here to help us? ;)

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Well little Billy if there was another natural disaster and the powers that be say "grab the guns" they will grab the guns. It's just that simple. Not all will participate but I would bet everything I have that the order would be given if another Katrina type event were to happen in the big cheesy.

Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    Well little Billy if there was another natural disaster and the powers that be say "grab the guns" they will grab the guns. It's just that simple. Not all will participate but I would bet everything I have that the order would be given if another Katrina type event were to happen in the big cheesy.

Which of course makes me consider how I must respond.
    Comply
    Get arrested
    Fight

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    Take the oath and you'll know how they know.

How do they know they can refuse? Because its nearly the first thing you are told you can do. How do they know what's Constitutional and not? Same as any other person, granted some do and some don't.

How would someone who is serving know they can refuse an unconstitutional command? And how are they supposed to know what is an unconstitutional command? I've never served, but I'm pretty sure it's highly unlikely that anyone who does serve or has was ever told those two things, and they were never given any information to indicate where or how they could find out about either of those two questions. I'm pretty sure also that the majority of those who serve today, who have not been in the service for a long time at least, are not highly educated on things like our constitutional rights and when we can use them. I would say our government and society in general does a pretty good job of keeping this information out of general circulation, and that it takes decided personal effort to learn about this...and if you are serving it might be in the face of the authority that you serve under, in that they would likely not encourage such effort at the very least, possibly even take action to discourage it. This is how it appears to me. Even on the issue of the 2nd amendment, there is a certain amount of intentional ambiguity from the government, it seems to me. And if you think about it, it's little wonder that it is so. Let's face it, the government is really about retaining power...those who think it's about helping people and trying to make sure our rights are preserved are probably more naive than not. They are glad to make you think they are here to help us, and solely so, but the government will always have securing their position of authority as one of, if not the highest priority.

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    I did not see any of the door to door, but I do recall a specific story about orders to confiscate being given to out of state NG/StatePolice by NOPD. Why anyone on a federal level would follow a local PD order in beyond me.

I did however, hear several cases over the radio in the days following Katrina of troops/officers in the field denying to comply with verbal (not given over radio) orders to seize firearms not involved in crime. I was attached to a NG unit out of Houma for a day or so, prior to doing S&R.

As for a measly 20miles West in my Parish, St Charles... I was encouraged by NG and LSP at numerous checkpoints, over many days to remain armed. PD in my area understood that they were unable to quickly respond to calls for help.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I did not see any of the door to door, but I do recall a specific story about orders to confiscate being given to out of state NG/StatePolice by NOPD. Why anyone on a federal level would follow a local PD order in beyond me.

I did however, hear several cases over the radio in the days following Katrina of troops/officers in the field denying to comply with verbal (not given over radio) orders to seize firearms not involved in crime. I was attached to a NG unit out of Houma for a day or so, prior to doing S&R.

As for a measly 20miles West in my Parish, St Charles... I was encouraged by NG and LSP at numerous checkpoints, over many days to remain armed. PD in my area understood that they were unable to quickly respond to calls for help.

The NG unit out of Houma at the time of Katerina was in Iraqi, How were you attached to The Black Sheep?

Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    Uuuh, you forgot this response: Lie and be done with it! ;)

I find lying morally repugnant but this comes to mind
    giphy.gif

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I was still on IRR and volunteered for sandbagging/S&R. That is where I was told to muster. They had Guardsmen from several areas there and numerous volunteers from reservist units.

Got it, The Black Sheep were down to I guess a skeleton crew during Katerina, Glad you came down to help, Thanks

Edit, I was not very far from yall, I was at Maria Immaculata school helping the priest clear out fallen trees.

Last edited:

RM Holsters

Aware
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    During the flood of last August I had 2 different groups of LEO come to help us evacuate. No one asked if we had weapons.

Did anyone in our area have any experiences with any LEO or other even ask if you had any weapons during evacuations or checking on your property?

Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    During the flood of last August I had 2 different groups of LEO come to help us evacuate. No one asked if we had weapons.

Did anyone in our area have any experiences with any LEO or other even ask if you had any weapons during evacuations or checking on your property?

I was wondering about this. Seems that poor leadership was the culprit in nola

Top Bottom