Talk to me like I'm a 5th grader about Katrina gun confiscation

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I don't have any guns...and no, I'm not opening the safe. :D

They just had a case like that in Ponchatoula. LEOs got a search warrant, had a locksmith open safe, found 33 weapons, large volume of methamphetamine, and drug paraphernalia. Moral of the story is a massive, heavy gun safe does not guarantee anything. Might make it a bit more challenging, but if they have probable cause, they're coming in, and nothing you can or will do will stop em. Immediately after Katrina in NO, warrants and rights went out the window for a time.

And you add another charge for refusing to open ur safe, Mr. Bad Azz.

http://www.actionnews17.com/news/33-stolen-guns-drugs-stolen-welding-machine-in-ponchatoula-2089482

Last edited:

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    New Orleans has banned ALL weapons at and around Lee Circle as of 1200 today. Permitted public demonstration, notice they waited until the last day of Jazz Fest. Landrieu had announced couple days they were putting the statue thing on hold til Jazz Fest was over. Dept of Homeland Security is involved with all the purported threats involved. This is gonna be a hot simmering cauldron just waiting to BLEVE....

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2017/05/confederate_monuments_police_prepare.html

Grandpa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2014
    New Orleans
    It was an entirely different story in nearby Jefferson Parish. I and many other people open carried with no comment or action by any police. One night at about 3:00 AM, I was sitting on the open tailgate of my SUV. It was just too hot and I couldn't sleep. I had a 9 MM on my hip and an AR-15 in my lap. I looked down the street and there was a black SUV with no interior and no exterior lights.coming down the street at a walking pace. I was curious about what that was. When he pulled near me he turned on side lights on his police light bar. He then asked if I was OK and if I needed any thing. At that point I put the AR down and walked up to him. I informed him, I just couldn't sleep because it was just too hot and if he had some air conditioning he could give me. I asked who he worked for as there were no markings on his car other than police lights. He responded with "a federal agency." I didn't ask for any further clarification. We had a pleasant conversation. He then told me that there was going to be a food and water distribution the following morning at a local parish facility. He then told me to have a good night and he left at the same walking pace down the street.

I drove to the water and MRE distribution location the following morning. National Guard troops were in abundance on the street where cars lined up. They were carrying M-16s or M 4s. I exchanged pleasantries with one of the National Guard people. I also asked him if the rifles were loaded. He said no but they did carry loaded magazines in case something happened. I got out of my SUV to open my tailgate when I got to where they were loading MREs and water. I still had my 9 mm on my hip. No one said a word about it and I departed.

One important point is, where there were armed homeowners present, nothing happened. We were totally on our own. Even if the police or fireman were available, we had no means to call 911.

Last edited:

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Post Katrina Laws

2006 Louisiana House bill 760

And

Disaster_Recovery_Personal_Protection_Act_of_2006

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    Post Katrina Laws

2006 Louisiana House bill 760

And

Disaster_Recovery_Personal_Protection_Act_of_2006

So lawmakers added laws following existing laws being broken by the people that enforce law?
    They could have created 30 new laws following Katrina all saying "you cant take legal firearms" and it would mean nothing. Nothing because that action was already protected under current law.

Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    So lawmakers added laws following existing laws being broken by the people that enforce law?
    They could have created 30 new laws following Katrina all saying "you cant take legal firearms" and it would mean nothing. Nothing because that action was already protected under current law.

This always pisses me off about legislators. We simply do not need them as much as they think we do. We don't need more laws. Put that money into law enforcement and rehab.

Top Bottom