Talk to me like I'm a 5th grader about Katrina gun confiscation

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nolaboy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2015
    New Orleans Lousiana
    They came with enough force to make you hand them over. No one I know actually had their arms taken though, but not many people stayed in the neighborhood I lived in only 3 or 4 families tops.

I had about 3 or 4 15-20 man teams of young bright eyed Army troops with 1 30 something Sgt leading them all with m16s at the low ready showing up at my door 1 after the other group would leave to ask the same questions "Do you live here" "are there any guns in the house" "have you see any looting"? Had anyone been armed during this encounter I whole know that they would have been disarmed and possibly ventilated. Very threatening experience. Do I believe it happened definitely. Did I see it actually happening no? I say we came very close.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    I don't understand why they would care if you owned guns in your own domicile.
    It seems that their efforts would have been better served helping the helpless and looking for actual looters than homeowners.

Last edited:

nolaboy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2015
    New Orleans Lousiana
    Got me on that one too. We were just home for the day to check on our property, and my dad had just finished an armed perimeter check looking for looters or squaters as the soldiers started knocking on the door. Its New Orleans;Liberal city Liberal Police Chief. Theyll use any excuse to come for your guns.

Lol I remember watching on local news when a guy finally got his S&W Sigma back from New Orleans that they confiscated during Katrina. They said that they had no record of the guns for a long time. Sucks but I remember the length of time this guy fought for his Sigma was 4 or 5 years and he finally got it back.

Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    Got me on that one too. We were just home for the day to check on our property, and my dad had just finished an armed perimeter check looking for looters or squaters as the soldiers started knocking on the door. Its New Orleans;Liberal city Liberal Police Chief. Theyll use any excuse to come for your guns.

Lol I remember watching on local news when a guy finally got his S&W Sigma back from New Orleans that they confiscated during Katrina. They said that they had no record of the guns for a long time. Sucks but I remember the length of time this guy fought for his Sigma was 4 or 5 years and he finally got it back.

How did you keep your guns?

nolaboy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2015
    New Orleans Lousiana
    I answered we don't have any when they asked. At the time they arrived no one was armed outside the house. The Army didn't come inside. Our encounter stopped on our front porch. Had it been NOPD they probably would have wanted to search our home, but that is just speculation on my part.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I don't understand why they would care if you owned guns in your own domicile.
    It seems that their efforts would have been better served helping the helpless and looking for actual looters than homeowners.

Just a test run to see how easy people would give them up.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    I would assume it was more like an officer asking "Do you have any weapons in the vehicle?"... no one was expecting them to come in and confiscate their firearms. It was a gut reaction in the same way that people look at criminals and gun laws... the criminals don't obey the law... thus, criminal... the law-abiding citizens are not the problem. This was a clear example of what a confiscation would look like. You'd have more Law Abiding citizens say "Here you go!" when they are surrounded by 20 soldiers with machine guns. "Our best bet for protecting ourselves (and others) is to just take everyone's guns"... not the answer.

It wasn't Armageddon... It wasn't an uprising... what it was, was COMPLETELY illegal, unwarranted and should have never happened. Of course NO agency, local or federal, has EVER taken responsibility for it and admitted it was.

What troubled me more in the video is the young service member who felt bad, but was willing and able "Shoot american citizens" simply on his orders.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I would assume it was more like an officer asking "Do you have any weapons in the vehicle?"... no one was expecting them to come in and confiscate their firearms. It was a gut reaction in the same way that people look at criminals and gun laws... the criminals don't obey the law... thus, criminal... the law-abiding citizens are not the problem. This was a clear example of what a confiscation would look like. You'd have more Law Abiding citizens say "Here you go!" when they are surrounded by 20 soldiers with machine guns. "Our best bet for protecting ourselves (and others) is to just take everyone's guns"... not the answer.

It wasn't Armageddon... It wasn't an uprising... what it was, was COMPLETELY illegal, unwarranted and should have never happened. Of course NO agency, local or federal, has EVER taken responsibility for it and admitted it was.

What troubled me more in the video is the young service member who felt bad, but was willing and able "Shoot american citizens" simply on his orders.

We have many intense and informative threads on here about this subject. But the search function kind of sucks, so if you put the keywords: "Katrina Gun Confiscations" in the search feature you are likely to get the "Joke of the day" thread; if you are lucky! :mamoru:

As for this: What troubled me more in the video is the young service member who felt bad, but was willing and able "Shoot american citizens" simply on his orders.

It is my understanding that a soldier, even officers at the highest level, can refuse an order they deem Unconstitutional! The orders were definitely Unconstitutional! What bothers me most, is no one in military dissented.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    We have many intense and informative threads on here about this subject. But the search function kind of sucks, so if you put the keywords: "Katrina Gun Confiscations" in the search feature you are likely to get the "Joke of the day" thread; if you are lucky! :mamoru:

As for this: What troubled me more in the video is the young service member who felt bad, but was willing and able "Shoot american citizens" simply on his orders.

It is my understanding that a soldier, even officers at the highest level, can refuse an order they deem Unconstitutional! The orders were definitely Unconstitutional! What bothers me most, is no one in military dissented.

My exact thoughts... My being worried about him is that regardless of his feelings he was willing to do it anyway. Hopefully it has been a long road and it wouldn't happen again, but who knows?

Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    I thought there would be tons of personal testimonies here. Maybe the beat down that woman got was akin to the moon landing?

WildBillKelso

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2015
    Northshore/New Orleans

Unfortunately it seems to be the nature of most to follow orders of authority figures even if it hurts others. The Milgram experiments show this too well.I
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment
    It seems necessary to make sure people serving know they can refuse unconstitutional orders.

RG43

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2016
    Covington, La
    How would someone who is serving know they can refuse an unconstitutional command? And how are they supposed to know what is an unconstitutional command? I've never served, but I'm pretty sure it's highly unlikely that anyone who does serve or has was ever told those two things, and they were never given any information to indicate where or how they could find out about either of those two questions. I'm pretty sure also that the majority of those who serve today, who have not been in the service for a long time at least, are not highly educated on things like our constitutional rights and when we can use them. I would say our government and society in general does a pretty good job of keeping this information out of general circulation, and that it takes decided personal effort to learn about this...and if you are serving it might be in the face of the authority that you serve under, in that they would likely not encourage such effort at the very least, possibly even take action to discourage it. This is how it appears to me. Even on the issue of the 2nd amendment, there is a certain amount of intentional ambiguity from the government, it seems to me. And if you think about it, it's little wonder that it is so. Let's face it, the government is really about retaining power...those who think it's about helping people and trying to make sure our rights are preserved are probably more naive than not. They are glad to make you think they are here to help us, and solely so, but the government will always have securing their position of authority as one of, if not the highest priority.

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    A guy and his family moved into a rental house in Laplace near my mother in law after Katrina. He told me when he evacuated from Venetian Isles in NO East he took his guns with him. On trying to get back to his house in Venetian Isles by boat after the storm he was stopped by St Tammany police and the guns he had with him were confiscated. He was part of the law suit the NRA filed on behalf those who had guns confiscated.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/201...-confiscation-can-and-has-happened-in-america

Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    A guy and his family moved into a rental house in Laplace near my mother in law after Katrina. He told me when he evacuated from Venetian Isles in NO East he took his guns with him. On trying to get back to his house in Venetian Isles by boat after the storm he was stopped by St Tammany police and the guns he had with him were confiscated. He was part of the law suit the NRA filed on behalf those who had guns confiscated.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/201...-confiscation-can-and-has-happened-in-america

The hell man. So they just took his guns under no suspicion of wrongdoing? I can't wrap my mind around this.

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    You should talk to the owners of Bud Rip's about this. They had all their LEGAL firearms confiscated after Katrina, and from what I understand, have yet to get any of them back. The claim is that they have been "lost" in the system...

Top Bottom