Can 18 year old possess pistol in Louisiana

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nolaboy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2015
    New Orleans Lousiana
    18 year olds can go to basic and serve in the military, but is there any law against transferring a pistol to someone 18-20? In regards to State or Federal law.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Concerning sales and possession: "The Gun Control Act of 1968 made it illegal for a gun dealer to sell handgun to anyone under the age of 21. ... *Under federal law, it's not unlawful for an 18-year-old to possess a handgun,* Semonick explained to Salon, though some states have their own age requirements for handgun possession"

reference link: http://gun.laws.com/state-gun-laws/louisiana-gun-laws

another reference: http://www.laopencarry.org/faq.shtml#HowOldToOC

So yes, an 18 year old can possess and open carry a pistol, provided he/she is not does not have a conviction to preclude such.

But an 18 YO cannot legally purchase a handgun from a dealer or FFL.

Last edited:

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    To the best of my knowledge.. an immediate family member ONLY can GIFT a pistol to a child under 21 and over 18. I would recommend consulting someone who knows the law.

Slalom.45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    So...

From the last link under section (4) C (7) it looks like a minor can possess with the written permission of their parent. I am not talking about carrying. My concern was legally having it in their vehicle. I know there is the whole "extension of the home" thing, but I haven't actually seen that written down anywhere and was not sure it applied in the case of a minor.

My daughter is 15 and will soon be driving solo btw.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    We asked the La State Police that question, since our son at the time was going to pistol practice sessions and was 16 at the time. Their answer was, if we gave him permission to have a firearm/handgun, then it was legal to have it in his possession. They did say a letter stating where he was going and why would stop a lot of confusion if he were to be pulled over. I know they are not the final word but it was the best we could find at the time and they actually gave us an answer.

Beauxdog

nolaboy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2015
    New Orleans Lousiana
    It was a question? I can't determine if it is or isn't. If it is illegal I think it is at the Federal level. Im basing my assumption on the Wally World policy of ID for ammo purchase and over 21 for pistol ammo purchase.

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    It was a question? I can't determine if it is or isn't. If it is illegal I think it is at the Federal level. Im basing my assumption on the Wally World policy of ID for ammo purchase and over 21 for pistol ammo purchase.

That follows the legal age requirements of purchasing pistol ammo. As for possession, I dont know but, think if they are allowed to possess the pistol after meeting the legal reguirements stated in RS 14:95.8, its possible they can possess the ammo also. Just my opinion and not legal advice. I have not been able to find any RS to provide the legal proof of the ammo possession yet.

Last edited:

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    So...

From the last link under section (4) C (7) it looks like a minor can possess with the written permission of their parent. I am not talking about carrying. My concern was legally having it in their vehicle. I know there is the whole "extension of the home" thing, but I haven't actually seen that written down anywhere and was not sure it applied in the case of a minor.

My daughter is 15 and will soon be driving solo btw.

I have never seen the words "extension of the home" (or anything similar to it) in any Louisiana law. If it exists, I would appreciate someone posting a link to it. Thanks for educating me.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    I have never seen the words "extension of the home" (or anything similar to it) in any Louisiana law.

You will not find "extension of your home" in any Louisiana law. It is a phrase used while discussing search and seizure laws, which is in the Louisiana Code of Criminal Procedure. I don't think the phrase is in the LCCP either, but it has come to mean that whatever search and seizure requirements there are in your home, those requirements are extended to your vehicle. And if you have never read the LCCP, it is an interesting read.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    You will not find "extension of your home" in any Louisiana law. It is a phrase used while discussing search and seizure laws, which is in the Louisiana Code of Criminal Procedure. I don't think the phrase is in the LCCP either, but it has come to mean that whatever search and seizure requirements there are in your home, those requirements are extended to your vehicle. And if you have never read the LCCP, it is an interesting read.

I may try to skim through it this weekend. Thanks.
    My issue is that most times when you hear of someone trying to explain the whole "extension of your home" thing is that they say if it's legal to do or have in your house, then the same goes for when you are in your vehicle. I don't agree with that. For example, it's perfectly legal to have sex in your home. Try having sex in your car while parked in a Walmart parking lot. I don't think the police would buy that argument.
    But thanks for the info. I am interested in learning how it applies to the search and seizure laws.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride

I've never seen anyone find it in La laws either. Probably just when talking about home owners insurance

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gautreaux
    Top Bottom