20 gauge viable for 3-gun?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dtrice

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2011
    Metarie, LA
    I'm interested in getting into 3 gun in the fall, I have the carbine and am going to get a the pistol. I do not have a shotgun, though. I'd like to get a Benelli M2, they aren't the cheapest though. If I can find a good deal for a 20 gauge M2, should I go for that or save up for a 12? Performance wise is the 20 enough?

dmiculek

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    Gramercy
    In 3 gun, shotgun is all about the ability to reload quickly. Tough to find 20 ga shell holders etc. Add in the fact that the loading port on a 20 ga is much smaller it makes choosing a 12ga a no brainer.

dtrice

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2011
    Metarie, LA
    In 3 gun, shotgun is all about the ability to reload quickly. Tough to find 20 ga shell holders etc. Add in the fact that the loading port on a 20 ga is much smaller it makes choosing a 12ga a no brainer.

That makes sense, I'll keep my eye out for another deal.

Lets_Ride

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    A Benelli M2 is pretty high end and really not necessary, although it is nice. I have, and I have seen a lot of people using, the Stoeger M3K which is plenty of gun to start out with.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Like Donnie said, feeding these things is a battle. The M-2 and the MK-3 need to have the loading port opened up the facilitate quick reloads and that takes a machinist to do it correctly. The new Breda B12i has this done already and some other things done to it but they are not very plentiful right now. Look at Bredausa.com web site for information on these.

Beauxdog

dtrice

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2011
    Metarie, LA
    Like Donnie said, feeding these things is a battle. The M-2 and the MK-3 need to have the loading port opened up the facilitate quick reloads and that takes a machinist to do it correctly. The new Breda B12i has this done already and some other things done to it but they are not very plentiful right now. Look at Bredausa.com web site for information on these.

Beauxdog

Are there any local smiths who could do machine work on the port? While stuff like the TTI and Accurate Iron is super nice, it's a whole lot of money.

Lets_Ride

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    I also did my own loading port. Not very difficult. Just requires patience. That being said, the Breda is very nice. One of the guys I shoot with has one but you are looking at close to twice the price of the Stouger. I believe he said it was around $1200

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Deb Mev
    Top Bottom