Direct tv and att?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Any one use them? They just sent me a letter saying 1000mb/s fiber optic internet is available in my neighborhood and the tv/internet bundle is half the price of what I'm paying cox right now. Paying close to 300 currently.

hkump

Rating - 100%
    314   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Covington, LA
    1 gigabit/second connection by AT&T is legit. The promotion is free installation and $90/month for the 1 gigabit/sec connection. I don't watch TV, so I don't know what the monthly TV price is, but should be less than $100/month. From most major servers, you'll get the 1 gigabit/sec speed. I can download 6-8 gigabytes of data in a few minutes. Much faster than Charter or Cox.

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    I have direct tv in my area because we can not get cable. Price is about $120 per month. When the weather is bad as in raining pretty heavily, we lose tv reception regulary. If we get heavy winds, sometimes it miss aligns the dish and we have to call for a tech to come out and realign it and we get charged a service charge. I would rather have cable for my tv if we could get it. Internet we have with att, I cant remember the transfer rate but its not the fastest and it runs about $40 per month.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    The tv for direct tv is showing only 55 bucks a month for 155 channels. And 70 for internet. That's a huge difference from what I'm paying now.

Specularius

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    N31 20, W92 14
    Firearmfanatic, the service that noob is referencing is an online streaming service, not the satelite based service. Word is that Directv has plans to ditch the satelite service all together in the next 5 or so years.

mineralman55

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Northshore
    AT&T came door to door in our neighborhood trying to explain their new service. It sounds as if it could be a cost saver. I asked some about details, and they said they were separating the tv from the internet. The internet lines were upgraded, and the tv would be a separate feed using a dish. Our covenant won't allow dishes and told them so.

toddmtnbkr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'm at $50/month for Direct TV (no premium channels) and $85 month for ATT Uverse. I get approx 25mb download speeds, which is more than enough for me (streaming Apple TV, etc).
    I like the combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Internet didn't seem to work last night and this morning. Get into work and bam, what do you know, cox is down and I cannot process prescriptions. Guess it's a sign

Cajun Camper

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Lafayette, La.
    I have Directv at about $120.00 a month. Had AT&T internet for several years, just got tired of no service every time it rained. They kept telling me it was a problem with my router & not there problem. After going through several routers finally cancelled it & now have LUS (Lafayette Utility System) fiber optic at $54.00 month.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    The att will be fiber optic, so I don't think that goes down when it rains.

But I just noticed there's an option for uverse tv. So out of direct tv and uverse tv, which would y'all choose? Any experience with either. If I get uveserse and gb internet, basically it "shouldn't" be affected by weather right?

Specularius

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    N31 20, W92 14
    Does the description of the Directv have "Now" attached to it? "Directv Now" is the service over internet. Just "Directv" is the satellite based service.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I have had directv and at&t internet for almost 2 years. Combined for the first year it was approx $90. Now I'm paying $147. Don't have or pay for any premium channels (no HBO, Showtime, other than the weekend specials directv throws you quite frequently). They both offer terrific deals the first year, but you do best to shop and change providers every two years.

Directv has really great picture quality and service imo, except when it rains hard. Moderate to hard rainfall leaves you with no satellite signal/service. AT&T internet service (25MB) at my location in Hammond has been pretty much bullet proof. Internet alone was $25 the first year, now its $50 a month total for me.

From a pure cost perspective, shop and flip flop every 2 years, directv/at&t to local cable provider bundle.

mforsta

Pops
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Denham Springs
    For your renewal of Direct TV you can either get in touch with their Retention department or play the shell game of changing your account from you to your spouse or someone else in the same house. We have done that for years. Every two years we would cancel our service and then start it right back up with the same equipment and get all of the new customer incentives. This year my wife called and got the Direct TV retention department who offered to knock $50of the monthly bill plus HBO for a years. At the end of the year we will call and do it again. Stupid games you have to play.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Just signed up, Could of had it installed this weekend, but too many things going on so guess installation will be a couple weeks away, I'll let y'all know how it goes. hopefully the 1000mb/s will be blazing. Going to have to find out good websites to d/l things.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Just signed up, Could of had it installed this weekend, but too many things going on so guess installation will be a couple weeks away, I'll let y'all know how it goes. hopefully the 1000mb/s will be blazing. Going to have to find out good websites to d/l things.

1000 MB/s, that is smoking! Never experienced service at that sort of transfer rate. Latency is also quite important in internet coms. Extraordinary latency is < 25 milliseconds consistently.
    Noob, you will have to work very very hard to gag that beast.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    1000 MB/s, that is smoking! Never experienced service at that sort of transfer rate. Latency is also quite important in internet coms. Extraordinary latency is < 25 milliseconds consistently.
    Noob, you will have to work very very hard to gag that beast.

I'm not tech savy, I do not stream movies (though my wife does from time to time). I do not play video games, or really use anything that requires this bandwidth. BUT I'm fed up with COX, and this is the best they offer for LESS than cox, so I will try it out. Might as well get on the fiber optic internet since it's pretty much the way internet seems to be going.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'm not tech savy, I do not stream movies (though my wife does from time to time). I do not play video games, or really use anything that requires this bandwidth. BUT I'm fed up with COX, and this is the best they offer for LESS than cox, so I will try it out. Might as well get on the fiber optic internet since it's pretty much the way internet seems to be going.

If your business is dependent on the Internet, you need to get set up with a failover solution in the event you lose service on a provider. Redundancy is good, especially when you can use it as a speed booster too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wagon461
    Top Bottom