FN Herstal SCAR 16

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grandpa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2014
    New Orleans
    I took receipt of my FN Herstal SCAR 16 yesterday. It is a rifle I have wanted a long time. It is not yet a Class III weapon, but it will be when I eventually add a 10 inch barrel. From telcom order to receipt took a bit over a week. I was lucky to find one in stock, they are normally in short supply. I got it much cheaper than most stores sell for but it is still pricey. Thanks to Kenny at Meplat for taking receipt of the rifle and completion of paperwork.

I need to buy a new gun safe before I can buy any new toys. This and the pending receipt of an SBR currently in purgatory will fill up my present safe. I'm still kinda thinking about one of the new AR based PDWs. I saw one on the computer FNH used to have based upon an AR rifle. This PDW that is no longer in production. They have replaced it with one that is a science fiction looking design with the hand grip forward of the magazine and it is all curvey. It is probably an excellent weapon. It is supposed to carry 50 rounds without a huge magazine sticking out somewhere. However, I just don't like the look. I'm very traditionalist. If anyone has a recommendation for a PDW, let me know. Also tell me why you like that particular PDW.

And a PS. I also want a SCAR 17, But I'll pass on it because it doesn't use the AR 10 mags.

Last edited:

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    First off I love my Scar16...what a smooth shooter with a can!
    LEWOQdn.jpg

You could do your own PDW build. Its fun! I have a 7.5" 5.56 and a 9" 300blk upper. A supressor is always a good addition to a short rifle. Do you have one? If not buy one! (Come see me! Lol)

HtLrCNG.jpg

3tHLAgd.jpg

P6NNgPS.jpg

Not really a true pdw by definition but I also recently got a Keltec RDB. Its pretty short and compact. Im dying to go shoot it. Gonna order a muzzle brake today!
    0SGHV1s.jpg

I5txYXl.jpg

Last edited:

Grandpa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2014
    New Orleans
    First off I love my Scar16...what a smooth shooter with a can!

You could do your own PDW build. Its fun! I have a 7.5" 5.56 and a 9" 300blk upper. A supressor is always a good addition to a short rifle. Do you have one? If not buy one! (Come see me! Lol)

Not really a true pdw by definition but I also recently got a Keltec RDB. Its pretty short and compact. Im dying to go shoot it. Gonna order a muzzle brake today!

RCM192, Thanks for the info. I have 3 cans. One is part of the Daniel Defense ISR. The second is an Omega which fits both my Daniel Defense Mark 18 SBR and my Ruger mini 14. All three of these are chambered in 300 Blackout. I have no interest in suppressing a 5.56 rifle. If you slow it down to subsonic, you have little more than a very expensive 22 long rifle. If you shoot slow, you hafta shoot heavy in order for the bullet to have enough energy to be effective. My subsonic 300 B.O. rounds are 220 grain bullets. If you shoot supersonic, you still have the distinct "crack" sound of a supersonic bullet. So I fail to see much value in suppressing 5.56. I also have a can for my H & K compact 45 pistol which is my carry gun. I worked my entire career in noisy environments so saving what hearing I have left is a big plus. I do want a PDW in 5.56. I'd prefer one based upon the FNH SCAR 16. I recently discovered one that I really like, but it is just too expensive for my budget. Eventually I'll probably buy one based upon a 5.56 AR rifle. I have not yet shot my FNH SCAR 16. I'm looking forward to shooting it. I have not yet decided on optics. I do want to add a scope of some kind. Getting rid of cancer and numerous doctor's appointments are my priority nowadays. I took my SCAR out of the safe yesterday and attempted to fold the stock. I was not strong enough to depress the release button fully. I guess I'm more run down than I realized. Take care and thanks.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom