Baffle strike....ugh.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tuan

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    New Orleans
    Just wanted to share my experience with SilencerCo.

So two Sundays ago.... I was an idiot! Shot my Omega off the front of my rifle and had a baffle strike.

Learn from my mistake!!!
    I was shooting my Omega on my 300 blk AR. Shot it all morning and my Omega was smoking. So I let it sit for a little bit until it cooled enough for me to take it off and attach it on my Remington 700.
    I tightened it down to what I thought was tight enough and locked down the ASR mount.

First shot. Bam! I watched the Omega fly about 30 yards in front of me. You can imagine how sick I felt waiting for the line to go cold. That 15 minutes felt like 2 hours.

I go pick up the omega and yup. Baffle strike.
    I tucked my tail and went home for the day.

Monday comes around and I gave SilencerCo a call. 5 minutes later I have an RMA# and I next day air the whole silencer to Utah.

Expecting a call from SilencerCo all week with a, yeah we need your credit card to fix this issue. But it never comes.

48 hours from SilencerCo receiving my Omega. I get an email from FedEx with a tracking number.

They replaced the whole inner baffle core, front cap, and new ASR mount.

SilencerCo is amazing. I can't believe they warranty the damage. I can't believe they warranty my stupidity!

Kudos to SilencerCo!

7636cb6be92de8fdd5b81d22a0805fe2.jpg
    678b6f57051c6fad50b1cb54456ca7aa.jpg
    4333d8229bbb0cf7e23a3dce7af64cf6.jpg
    3e23fa63055e8b259644663fa34cd1de.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Had a baffle strike on my Osprey using my FN-P tactical before the v2 piston came out (known issue). They repaired my osprey and swapped out my piston for the newer version. I cannot complain.

I have quite a few AAC cans, zero issues with any of them. So I don't know what's better, the company that has been bought by another and doesn't really innovate anymore, nor have great customer service, but is 100% reliable, or the company with great customer service, but potentially have design issues if issues like baffle strikes are "normal".

tuan

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    New Orleans
    This baffle strike was all me and my foolishness. I've shot a few hundred 300 blk, 308, and 556 through it without any issues.

tuan

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    New Orleans
    Pardon my ignorance... what did you do wrong? wrong caliber in the Remington? Not tight enough?

Not tight enough. I probably had a few more threads to go until it was completely tight .

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    This is one of the big reasons I went with SiCo always hear great CS stories about them and they have been in business awhile. I started reading thinking oh great he got screwed so now I have to be extra careful but was pleasantly surprised that it was a great job story.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    This is 110% why I went with silencerco!!! Never had a baffle strike "yet".... But from every review I read silencer co is top notch with customer service. I have never heard of anybody getting charged for a baffle strike. And as much bs to get a suppressor and the wait time, I felt a little more $ was well worth the customer service and exspecially being its a "lifetime" buy for me... Not my typical guns I might keep for a few months or years..

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Not 100% sure how you had a baffle strike wit the asr.... I have screwed it on a couple times and could tell within 1/2 turn on or so that it's not lined up and is crooked. Never was able to make it to the locking asr step... I am deff ocd, I will check it several times before I shoot, and make sure I have the right end cap on it several times lol... All and all I'm glad it worked out for you!!!

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Silencerco is great. They replaced my 9mm end cap for my octane 45...3 times. No questions asked.

tuan

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    New Orleans
    Not 100% sure how you had a baffle strike wit the asr.... I have screwed it on a couple times and could tell within 1/2 turn on or so that it's not lined up and is crooked. Never was able to make it to the locking asr step... I am deff ocd, I will check it several times before I shoot, and make sure I have the right end cap on it several times lol... All and all I'm glad it worked out for you!!!

Thinking back I'm pretty sure I didn't tighten it down all the way before I locked the ASR.

The point of this post was to give silencerco a great review for their customer service. I was defiantly at fault. It was not a product default slim anyway. It was my stupidity 100%. And they took care of me. I was expecting to pay a few hundred dollars for that mistake.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    I have an Omega still in jail. The main reason I chose SilencerCo is exactly what you describe. I guess I am old school or something but all the different mounting systems just give me the heebies. Direct thread for me. Already had my rifles thread chased and checked for center. Wish it would hurry up and get out of jail.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Trust me man not trying to back the bus over on you, just trying to understand so hopefully I won't have to try the customer service, lol... I apologize if I came off rude.

Thinking back I'm pretty sure I didn't tighten it down all the way before I locked the ASR.

The point of this post was to give silencerco a great review for their customer service. I was defiantly at fault. It was not a product default slim anyway. It was my stupidity 100%. And they took care of me. I was expecting to pay a few hundred dollars for that mistake.

tuan

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    New Orleans
    Trust me man not trying to back the bus over on you, just trying to understand so hopefully I won't have to try the customer service, lol... I apologize if I came off rude.

Oh no BigChillin83, I didn't think it was rude at all.

tuan

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    New Orleans
    I will not rush and put my Omega in danger any more. I was an idiot.

lsufan1971

Rating - 100%
    121   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Zachary,La
    You're not the first guy to do it and won't be the last. I had a bad baffle strike on my AAC 7.62 SD due to threading issues on a brand new AAC brake. To my astonishment they fixed it no questions asked and turned around in less than weeks.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Just be cautious with direct thread, I only use direct thread on my hybrid with 45-70 and 44mag ect, and always after 10-15 rounds it gets loose, and it gets hot to try to tighten it... The asr "if done right" will lock it down, just saying

I have an Omega still in jail. The main reason I chose SilencerCo is exactly what you describe. I guess I am old school or something but all the different mounting systems just give me the heebies. Direct thread for me. Already had my rifles thread chased and checked for center. Wish it would hurry up and get out of jail.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    I am really liking my Trifecta mount on the Saker seems pretty fool proof to me. Took me a second to figure it out once I got it mounted but no issues since.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I am really liking my Trifecta mount on the Saker seems pretty fool proof to me. Took me a second to figure it out once I got it mounted but no issues since.

If you like the Trifecta system...check out the Deadair Keymo adapter mounts for the Silencerco stuff.

pangris1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    BR metro area
    I've got a few AAC products, have used their customer service/warranty, and have found them to be above and beyond the call of service as well.

Top Bottom