ISO small caliber revolver for mom

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    I gave momma a p32 a year or so ago. I want her to have a gun on her person at all times. She lives in Jackson, almost as bad as nola.
    She's getting older and cannot rack the slide with confidence. Yeah I know, practice will take care of that but she's as interested in doing tap and rack drills as I am in needlepoint. I think a small caliber revolver would be better.
    I know little to nothing about revolvers, but I know y'all do. What is a reliable, yet inexpensive pistol for my mom? Ammo cost is not a concern. Could even be a hard to find round as long as I can get my hands on a box and the pistol itself is small. I'm thinking a five shot .32 but not sure.
    Thanks my friends
    Brawny

Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    How about a Ladysmith in 38 would be be too much of a gun

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I'll look into it. She has arthritis and would prefer something smaller. I am familiar enough to know how anemic rounds start getting below a .38 but that's a risk I'm willing to take to have a better chance of her actually carrying.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    How about a Ladysmith in 38 would be be too much of a gun

I second, a .38 special revolver. I have a Rossi SS 5 shot I purchased new like 27 years ago. Sleeps with me most any night, under my pillow.

Inexperienced or minimally experienced personnel have no business being given any semi-auto handgun for protection imo. Too many complications, racking slides, thumbing off safeties, rotating mags periodically. My Rossi is always ready to go, with an estimated 7/8 pound DA pull. And you can load it with low or moderate velocity factory ammo, or +P.

Get her a snubnose .38 spec revolver. S&W works very well.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'll look into it. She has arthritis and would prefer something smaller. I am familiar enough to know how anemic rounds start getting below a .38 but that's a risk I'm willing to take to have a better chance of her actually carrying.

The .32 S&W rounds were used by police officers for decades. They don't have the heft of a .38 or 9mm, but I wouldn't want to get shot with one.

Another option is .22 magnum. Lots of choices in that caliber.

Mike

wcweir3

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Gonzales, LA
    If she has arthritis I don't think you want to go with too small of a gun I think that Smith & Wesson has a airweight that might work

Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    I second, a .38 special revolver. I have a Rossi SS 5 shot I purchased new like 27 years ago. Sleeps with me most any night, under my pillow.

Inexperienced or minimally experienced personnel have no business being given any semi-auto handgun for protection imo. Too many complications, racking slides, thumbing off safeties, rotating mags periodically. My Rossi is always ready to go, with an estimated 7/8 pound DA pull. And you can load it with low or moderate velocity factory ammo, or +P.

Get her a snubnose .38 spec revolver. S&W works very well.

Yeah, I forget how difficult an auto can be for some. It's easy to tell everyone to get a G19.

The .32 S&W rounds were used by police officers for decades. They don't have the heft of a .38 or 9mm, but I wouldn't want to get shot with one.

Another option is .22 magnum. Lots of choices in that caliber.

Mike
    Yeah, almost forgot about the .22mag

If she has arthritis I don't think you want to go with too small of a gun I think that Smith & Wesson has a airweight that might work

It's not debilitating but present. She very well may refuse to carry. Her decision

Redd508

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    A number of companies make small framed revolvers in 32 H&R mag, including Smith. It might be a good compromise on size, recoil and enough gun with the right loads. I like the Taurus 38 snubs and have had excellent service from them. Those are also made in 8 round 22 mag versions tho i dont have personal experience with them. 22 mag may be on the bottom end of what anyone recommends but i'd use it if its what i had.

nwmousegunner

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Homer,La.
    I don't disagree with any of the previous post. I am surprised no one mentioned the small Berettas orTaurus .22 and .25 acp. The Beretta 950 single action holds eight rounds in the magazine and one in the barrel. The double action model 21A about one less at least in .22. They all have a tip up barrel, so you don't have to rack the slide to load a round in the chamber.

Redd508

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    I liked the tip up 22 from Taurus until i got to shoot one. At best it was a 5 yard gun. It could easily have been just that particular gun and ammo combination but i'd look at other options first.

iwhodat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2017
    River Ridge, Louisiana
    A 32 revolver would be a good choice. My grandfather gave one to my mom years before I was born. It was an old police issue pistol. It was the only firearm she had for years. She is a small woman and could easily handle that pistol. I still have it in the safe with the rest of my toys. She now carries a First Gen Glock 19 or her CZ82

nwmousegunner

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Homer,La.
    Redd I have several .22 and .25s in my pocket pistol collection. When I practice with them it is usually at ten to twelve yards. I don't have any trouble hitting a 1/2 liter water bottle at that range. My biggest problem is 73 year old eyes focusing on the tiny sights. I don't shoot the Taurus as much as some others because of the double action only trigger. For me the little guns are just for fun but I shoot what collect. Personally if I carried one I would go with a Beretta model 20 or a Baby Browning over the Taurus.

Redd508

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    I typically shoot my handguns at longer ranges. My Ruger Mk2 is my squirrel gun. I can assure you it wasnt operator error. As stated above it may have been a poor choice of ammo for that particular gun. I could not consistently hit a 10" target at 10 yards with that 22.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    How easy is it to find that .327 fed mag ammo? Is it common locally? I am just asking because I have no idea.

We sell it at Gretna Gun Works. Whats nice about the 327 Fed Mag is that you can shoot 327 Fed, 32 h&r mag, 32 s&w long, and 32 s&w short, and 32 wadcutter. You have options for sure. Dont expect to go to walmart and find ammo but maybe academy would have it. Im sure a LGS in Acadia would carry it.

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    We sell it at Gretna Gun Works. Whats nice about the 327 Fed Mag is that you can shoot 327 Fed, 32 h&r mag, 32 s&w long, and 32 s&w short, and 32 wadcutter. You have options for sure. Dont expect to go to walmart and find ammo but maybe academy would have it. Im sure a LGS in Acadia would carry it.

Okay thanks! I wasnt aware of all those ammo options.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom