model 1917 Eddystone

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AZ2VET

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 2, 2017
    Ponchatoula, La.
    I have an opportunity to buy a 1917 Eddystone, barrel is marked 12-18, not sporterized in any way. Price is approximately $350 but my 2 concerns are, First the bolt has a bit of a sticking point at the midway point. Second is that the safety will not fully engage.
    With these two issues would it be worth buying it and bring to a gunsmith for repair and not end up being over the value of the gun. Will try to get pics later.

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    Something is not right with the bolt or trigger group. Do not try to shoot it until it is fixed! Depending on condition, you probably have about $250-350 to play with to try to fix it.

AZ2VET

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 2, 2017
    Ponchatoula, La.
    Was just informed he will let it go for $300. I am going to take the leap and get it and go from there. Will try to get it to a gunsmith in a day or so and see what he says for repair cost and turnaround.
    Can't get any good pics yet do to lighting issues.

usmc-nav

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I'll think you will be glad you got it. I have a Winchester and really like it. Is the stock marked with an E on the end?

AZ2VET

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 2, 2017
    Ponchatoula, La.
    If you mean on the front end of the stock it is stamped with a T actually. Which kinda has me wondering what that means. Guess I need to try and find a site about proofmarks for it.

AZ2VET

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 2, 2017
    Ponchatoula, La.
    Yea that "T" has me curious. I removed the butplate and the serial number matches the receiver. There are a few pieces that are stamped with an "R" though, the bolt handle and the front sight to name two.. I took it apart and did a little lite cleaning with Ed's Red and paper towel as well as added a bit of grease to the recoil spring and bolt. The bolt moves much better now. As for the safety, I removed that small piece that sits just behind the safety and screws into the side of the tang area. With it out the safety goes fully into position and stays there but with it in place the bottom inside edge of the safety lever hits it and is stopped from going into position. So, one of the two have got to be out of spec, but which one.

AZ2VET

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 2, 2017
    Ponchatoula, La.
    I brought it over to a friends on the way home to show it to him. We ended up putting a brush down the barrel to get a really good look at it, pitting from muzzle to chamber. It is going back to the owner. That was a close one.

Top Bottom