Guns as Gifts

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mforsta

Pops
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Denham Springs
    I have given both of my adult children (27 & 25 years old) guns as gifts recently. If any of you have done this, have you done any kind of paper work showing that the ownership has changed. The only reason I bring this up in for insurance purposes for proof of ownership if the gun were to be stolen.

mforsta

Pops
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Denham Springs
    The only paper work I have done in gifts of firearms has been a bill of sale, even though they were gifts and not sales. Did it just to show transfer of ownership.

This is what I was thinking along with giving them the original sales receipt. Just a CYA so the insurance company won't try and screw them if something were to happen.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    This is what I was thinking along with giving them the original sales receipt. Just a CYA so the insurance company won't try and screw them if something were to happen.

I've talked to my ins guy and he said the biggest help is having the make, model and serial number. And I'm sure you know most home owners policy's suck when it comes to "theft" and guns.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Yes, I usually include all of that info on any bill of sale for any firearm regardless if a gift or actual sale.

I'm not into bill of sales in general but that's for another thread lol. Bottom line is my ins guy says my contents insurance will cover it "if its in my house".

Advice 1) Is for the OP to contact the insurance company that covers that property.

Advice 2) Is if concerned about theft and we are talking about home owners the OP really needs to call the ins company and ask questions.

mforsta

Pops
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Denham Springs
    Most insurance policies have a limit as to what they will cover for firearms and jewelry that is stolen unless the items are itemized on your policy. Another way to cover them is the have a personal articles policy covering said items and that can get cost prohibitive. I just don't want my children to get screwed by the insurance company saying that they didn't own the items, that's the reason for the original question. I have a database with all serial numbers and pictures of all property so I don't miss anything in case of a theft.

The_Shadow

The Shadow Knows!
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 24, 2010
    Southeast, LA
    NRA membership can cover firearms if lost or stolen up to a $ amount. They also offer secondary policies for a reasonable cost.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I have a rider on my home insurance policy to cover my guns. I maintain a detailed database of my guns (make, model, serial number, date and place and price of purchase, etc) that I *do not* share. My insurance company tells me that my fastidious record keeping is sufficient should I make a claim for loss.

Mike

Top Bottom