Sales Tax on a Vehicle I Already Own?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Wife and I just moved to the red stick from North Carolina. Went to change our licenses and vehicles over, and I found out that I have to pay sales tax on my truck.

My truck. The truck I bought four years ago. The truck I paid sales tax on four years ago.

What. The. Hell.

Mike

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Wife and I just moved to the red stick from North Carolina. Went to change our licenses and vehicles over, and I found out that I have to pay sales tax on my truck.

My truck. The truck I bought four years ago. The truck I paid sales tax on four years ago.

What. The. Hell.

Mike

I've heard this before, but never experienced it first hand. I'd say that's just f**ked up. I mean you already paid sales tax on it once already. Louisiana isn't the only one who pulls this sort of BS from what i have heard second hand. Know why many people don't get new tags and drive on their old OOS plates forever?

Why couldn't they just charge you like say $120 for a new LA registration and a license plate? Why rape people because you can?

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    If IIRC, you pay the difference in sales tax from NC to LA. LA is probably 10%, NC is probably around 6% (I'm guessing), so you pay 4%...
    Baton Rouge's auto insurance is about 40% higher than most parts of NC at a guess. OTOH, the food here makes it worth all of that!

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    If IIRC, you pay the difference in sales tax from NC to LA. LA is probably 10%, NC is probably around 6% (I'm guessing), so you pay 4%...
    Baton Rouge's auto insurance is about 40% higher than most parts of NC at a guess. OTOH, the food here makes it worth all of that!

North Carolina charges 3% on vehicles. So yes, I'll pay the difference ... which is only 7%.

I'll be curious to see how they value my pickup truck. When the county tax assessor in North Carolina assessed it, they pulled a generic book value for a GMC Sierra, not taking into consideration that it was a 3/4 ton with the diesel engine. That worked in my favor. Hopefully Louisiana does the same, and I'm only out a couple hundred dollars (which is still highway robbery ...).

Insurance just about made me cry. We'll be paying over twice what we were in NC, and that's with both of us having a long (20+ years) and clean driving record.

This confirms my suspicion that lawyers should not be in politics.

Mike

Last edited:

rabiddawg

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    Don't get me wrong cause I would be pissed too but if you don't pay La. Sales tax on it and you trade it in La. for a new one you would be double dipping. If I'm thinking right, there is a tax benefit to trading in your old truck. Perhaps that is why the state does this.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Don't get me wrong cause I would be pissed too but if you don't pay La. Sales tax on it and you trade it in La. for a new one you would be double dipping. If I'm thinking right, there is a tax benefit to trading in your old truck. Perhaps that is why the state does this.

By double dipping, I assume you mean that I'd only be paying sales tax on the difference between the new vehicle and my trade. This may be true, but that would be true of every other possession I brought to Louisiana with me.

I'm still flummoxed at the idea of paying sales tax when there is no actual sale to tax.

Mike

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Insurance just about made me cry. We'll be paying over twice what we were in NC, and that's with both of us having a long (20+ years) and clean driving record.

This confirms my suspicion that lawyers should not be in politics.

Mike

I'm an insurance agent... I could go through a whole list of reasons as to why rates are higher here but it all boils down to lawyers should not be allowed to make laws that benefit them later...
    We really need serious tort reform in LA!

Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    I thought that was what the license plate fee was. Every time you renew the tag you pay taxes on your vehicle. I've never ran the numbers but the amount of income that goes to taxes of some kind has to be close to 50%

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    it's been that way in every state I've moved into. At least you don't have to pay an annual property tax on vehicles in LA like you have to in many states (shhhh, don't tell Gov Edwards)

snipehunter7

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 31, 2016
    Franklinton, LA
    Had the same issue when we moved here. They check the value of your vehicle and assess based on that. If your vehicle is newer (I think they said 1 year, maybe 2) then you basically get credit for what you paid when you bought it in your prior state of residence against LA taxes.

I was damn tempted to keep TX registration and DL. In hind sight I probably should have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WildBillKelso

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2015
    Northshore/New Orleans
    I think you have to pay the difference between N.C. and La sales tax.

Insurance down here is high because of the uninsured and the rest of the population thinks drunk driving is a ''Sport''

These two things. However, my insurance rate actually went down moving from the Baltimore/DC metro area. I get a laugh out of hearing nola locals complain about the traffic and aggressive driving.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA

What. The. Hell.

Mike

They don't call it a tax... its an "Impact Fee". If you bring a vehicle in from another state you have to pay the impact fee, however, if you are new to the state, you can DECLARE THE TAX your paid for your vehicle in the state you're coming from as a CREDIT.

http://www.dmv.org/la-louisiana/car-registration.php

Top Bottom