Sales Tax on a Vehicle I Already Own?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Insurance down here is high because of the uninsured and the rest of the population thinks drunk driving is a ''Sport''

You got that right. There was a statistic I read a few years ago in southern Louisiana, 1 out of every 7 vehicles on the road at any given time does not have current liability insurance.
    People continue to drive down here with 2 plus DWIs too. DWI enforcement and prosecution is a joke in southern Louisiana. I don't know how it is in the northern portion of our state, but down here its pretty much a joke.

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Donate it to the wife!
    Should be no sales tax for new "owner".

It's a use tax based on the value of the vehicle brought into Louisiana, and you will get a credit of 3%, up to $1000, for the sales tax you paid in NC. The use tax you have to pay to register it here is the 4% state tax, not the Parish tax, so it's not the full 9% or 10% depending on where you're living. That 3% credit will cover a value up to $33,333. Link:

http://web01.dps.louisiana.gov/omv1...efca2d66886a0ae6862564bb0069108e?OpenDocument

If the value is over $33,333, then donation will work to avoid the sales/use tax.

Last edited:

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    It's a use tax based on the value of the vehicle brought into Louisiana, and you will get a credit of 3%, up to $1000, for the sales tax you paid in NC. The use tax you have to pay to register it here is the 4% state tax, not the Parish tax, so it's not the full 9% or 10% depending on where you're living. That 3% credit will cover a value up to $33,333. Link:

http://web01.dps.louisiana.gov/omv1...efca2d66886a0ae6862564bb0069108e?OpenDocument

If the value is over $33,333, then donation will work to avoid the sales/use tax.

Thanks for the info. My pickup truck dates back to 2006 and would be worth over $30,000 only in my resale dreams. I'm waiting at the OMV now to find out what the damage will be ... fingers crossed that it's low.

Mike

Xenon

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Metairie
    honestlou got it right.

You pay a tax to USE property in the state even if it is not purchased here. Anyone that has gone through a Sales tax audit should be familiar with this.

Most states do the exact same thing, with a caveat... LA has a fairly new law (thanks JBE!) that only allows the credit (for what you've already paid) from states with reciprocity on a rate to rate basis (not dollars, due to value changes). i.e. they must allow for the same credit on the other end.

Top Bottom