NOLATAC Training Center - New Outdoor Range in Avondale

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles
    For those following - I saw Brannon just posted this on Tiger Droppings.

Just an update for those who care; we are up to 75 members and are getting to the end of our 2 for 1 Plankowner program.

NOLATAC Training Center

We have a very knowledgeable,mature, and social group of members. I am really pleased with how this is shaping up.

We have a Trap / Skeet club who will hopefully be moving in and setting up soon with 3-4 fields.

The Drone Shooting NOLA
    public launch has been moved to Nov 1 in order to give our pilots a little more time to get trained up, but we have all the equipment and are ready to rock and roll.

We should start pushing back the long range berm mid NOV in order to get to the 2000 yard mark. To my knowledge, we will have the only range with over 1-Mile and the ability to shoot .50CAL.

The flame thrower range is scheduled to launch with the Drone Shooting NOLA launch.

Our current priority is getting the first large 100y wide "pistol" bay divided into 4 separate 24 yard wide bays. Some will be completely covered.

We are also working to begin construction hopefully at the start of the year on our "Joint Law Enforcement Training Range" that will be a 25y wide x 60y deep completely covered training bay with LE turning targets, astro-turf ground, and a playground rubber "pit" for combatives training with it's own classroom and student area.

We have a couple of LEA that are using our location primarily or exclusively for their in-service and qualification training, and we are working with several more to get them taken care of. The Joint LE Training Range will be a game changer for our local law enforcement on all levels to have a legit and safe place to train and qual regardless of weather conditions and to safely conduct low-light and more dynamic training.

Lastly, on the competitive side, NOLA Shooting Sports had their first match last month. We have a group looking to start a 3-Gun league and a steel challenge league. I have also had people approach me about doing some pistol bullseye matches. We will support anything we can safely and logistical support as long as the club has their own match staff.

Training is going great. We have become one of the primary ranges for local instructors like Phobos Solutions, BEARCO Training, Harrell Carry LLC, and of course our in-house courses with myself and my guys from NOLATAC Training and Consulting.

We have a host of instructors scheduled through 2018 including several instructor level courses, and courses from many nationally recognized instructors. Best place for all of that is on the events section of our FaceBook page found here: NTC Events Schedule

Our members seem real happy, and I am very happy with everything so far. We have secured contract agreements for some large training conference events that will be moving here, as well as negotiating some large scale competitions of various types in the coming year or two.

The NOLATAC Veterans Training Program is progressing, and we hope to be able to release a catalogue of classes for next year. We have added paramotor instructor to the program, as well as a few other unique opportunities for veterans to utilize the GI Bill benefits for more relevant vocational training.

JBgleason

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    NorthShore
    What is the latest on this facility? Anyone been lately? Have any of the promised improvements come to fruition? Are they running classes regularly?

miscverb

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 23, 2016
    Destrehan LA
    there has been a lot of classes going on there. also the range is now at 1300 yards from the ground, with two main courses of fire. the main courses of fire are the "short range" which is at 775 yards and the "long range" which is at 1300. either range course of fire may be used depending on other ongoing activities on a specific day. the plan is to ultimately have the "long range" at 1 mile or so. take care.

Last edited:

bigsampson

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Which is it?

"Thursday through Sunday 10AM to 5PM, and Monday 10AM to 5PM."

"The days and hours are dictated by when a member schedules the time and day to go out there."

Does it have set hours or do you have to make an appointment?
    I heard some people saying they had a hard time getting to use the range because it wasn't open set hours.

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    Which is it?

"Thursday through Sunday 10AM to 5PM, and Monday 10AM to 5PM."

"The days and hours are dictated by when a member schedules the time and day to go out there."

Does it have set hours or do you have to make an appointment?
    I heard some people saying they had a hard time getting to use the range because it wasn't open set hours.

I'm not a member, but members have told me you have to make an appointment, unless something changed recently.

Per the range website:

MEMBERS MUST NOW SCHEDULE RANGE VISITS - MUST HAVE ORIENTATION AND MEMBER CARD TO SHOOT

https://nolatactc.com/

Access to range by appointment on available days: Currently Thursday, Friday, Sat, Sun, and Monday from 10AM - 6PM (or sunset if earlier) on pre-scheduled periods available on the calendar link above.

Last edited:

JBgleason

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    NorthShore
    MEMBERS MUST NOW SCHEDULE RANGE VISITS

I think that begs the question of - How far in advance must you schedule? 24 hours, 2 hours? Does this mean that if you get off work early on a Friday you can't run out to the range?

Sig66

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2016
    NOLA Westbank
    I’m a member. You’re supposed to schedule via the website, at least 48hrs out, which I’m not crazy about, but considering the quirky arrangement with the track, and for the RSO’s, it’s what they have to do right now.
    At some point it may be staffed from open to close, where you can just show up, but that’s NOT the case now. To be fair, he has been good about letting me go last minute, but it just depends on whether an RSO is already out there.

JBgleason

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    NorthShore
    I’m a member. You’re supposed to schedule via the website, at least 48hrs out, which I’m not crazy about, but considering the quirky arrangement with the track, and for the RSO’s, it’s what they have to do right now.

Good info. Thanks.

Seems like that is some critical info that should probably be on the website or something.

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles
    Members reserve their times via the website outside of 48 hours. Inside of 48 hrs, they text the owner directly. To my knowledge, most people are able to go at the times they desire with rare exception. However, it is not a "show up when you want" kind of place.

Probably would be best to just call Brandon and talk to him.

escknx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2018
    Kenner LA
    Is there any open house day or daily/hourly fee just to see whats going on there before buying 1k membership?

I'm a port capt here at Miss River and do not have fixed schedule to make even 24hr appointments, are they planning to establish no-schedule policy for members?

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles
    Wow! I had no idea of that price! Unbelievable!

Apparently it is pretty beliveable seeing as how they have about 100 members I think. It is definitely not a place designed for everyone, but the ammenities they have and the quality of the place definitely appeals to some shooters.

Top Bottom