NOLATAC Training Center - New Outdoor Range in Avondale

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    And this is why we can't post in the WTS threads.

The OP started this thread as info on a range that was trying to get its feet off the ground for those that may have interest, and it is turning into a dumpster fire.

If you can shoot 2k yards at your hunting camp, great. Good for you. If you have a range in your back yard, that is awesome. If you have the ability to purchase cheap land in the middle of BFE, do it and shoot till you have a blister on your trigger finger. Bottom line is that if you don't like the membership dues/shooting appointment arrangements being offered by this range, move along. It won't be a fit for everyone.
    I can tell you that a range of this size will cost plenty of $$$$$$$$ to run and maintain. If the membership numbers/dues are not there to keep it going, the management of the range will have to make decisions on how to balance those numbers to keep the gate open. If they don't, it will grow up in weeds. I truly hope that don't happen.
    Will I be purchasing a membership? Nope, It's not for me. I shoot 600 yards at Palo. If want to shoot a 1000 Yard match, I will take a 3.5 hr ride up to Bar 3 in Laurel, MS and pay the $40 fee. I do hope they consider holding matches there down the road though. It would be great to have another venue so close.

I've been a member of this forum for over 6 years and in that time have almost unequivocally determined that the two biggest gripes of shooters on this board is 1.) Not enough places in close proximity to where the shooters live to shoot at; and 2.) not being able to ask questions on classifieds. Both of which, I do not have a personal problem with. Nonetheless, anyone that doesn't root for any outdoor range (particularly a long range one), within 30 minutes of a major metropolitan center to succeed, is either a douche, or just an a-hole! Or both!

I for one, not only hope that it succeeds from a firearms enthusiasts standpoint; but also an entrepreneurial one! Last time I watched an example of douches wanting everything good to fail was on the news last night; when 8 seconds in there were phony democrats decrying any of Trump's successes to at least try to make America Great Again!

Think about that next time you have nothing to do.

nola.bugler

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 25, 2013
    New Orleans
    I've been a member of this forum for over 6 years and in that time have almost unequivocally determined that the two biggest gripes of shooters on this board is 1.) Not enough places in close proximity to where the shooters live to shoot at; and 2.) not being able to ask questions on classifieds. Both of which, I do not have a personal problem with. Nonetheless, anyone that doesn't root for any outdoor range (particularly a long range one), within 30 minutes of a major metropolitan center to succeed, is either a douche, or just an a-hole! Or both!

I for one, not only hope that it succeeds from a firearms enthusiasts standpoint; but also an entrepreneurial one! Last time I watched an example of douches wanting everything good to fail was on the news last night; when 8 seconds in there were phony democrats decrying any of Trump's successes to at least try to make America Great Again!

I agree. There's a lot of complaining in this thread. It's real simple...if it makes sense for you from a training or financial standpoint, go for it. If it doesn't, then wish them well and move on.

I'm personally looking forward to training there, and it looks like the owner is trying to bring in some of the better-known trainers. I definitely need work on my handgun, shotgun, and carbine, and maybe I'll dip into long-range courses too. You don't need to be a member to participate in that. I like Advantage Group, Phobos, VATA, BearCo, etc., but since I live in the New Orleans metro area, it'll be nice to not have to drive to Slidell, Covington, or rent a hotel in Robert.

As for the issues with the track itself, there's no predicting what'll happen, just like there was no predicting that Eymard was going to close and there isn't a guarantee that Palo Alto or the Thibodaux range will be there forever. I hope NOLATac Training Center will be here for the long run. More outdoor shooting options is NOT a bad thing.

Last edited:

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles

Well said sir.

Sig66

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2016
    NOLA Westbank
    Well, I didn't like the things I've just read about the financial stability of the track, considering that I bought into the gun range, so I hope it goes better than some of you predict! I knew about the track, as I live very close, but did not know anything about the financial condition of it. I would feel like such a sucker if it fails! As stated, the track itself could very well have money issues and go under, or be sold to another owner, that may not want a gun range adjacent to his track, either of which could spell doom for the range.

My primary reason for joining was such close proximity to an outdoor range, considering I live in Marrero. Driving an hour to Honey Island, or the Sheriffs range in Houma, wasn't terrible, they are both great ranges, but and hour each way, to either of those is a lot less desirable than 15:00 from my house!!

Lets just hope that this works out...

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    I went to the wine and dine pretrack sales pitches. They talked all about rainbows and unicorns with trackside houses and garage rentals and track time every day available. Thank GOD I didn't fall for any of that and get suckered into a lot or garage. The track turned out exactly how I thought it would, and for anybody who thinks they're still planning for the Phase 2 expansion, well, good luck with that. As far as I'm aware, that was off the table before they even finished pouring the main track. They seem content with the karting/autoX/carshows and bikes and some track days sprinkled about, enough so that I'm not really worried about the range. And if I'm wrong and it shuts down, OMG, I'll be out a grand, BFD! In the mean time, I've shot there every weekend since they opened, and I'll be out there again this weekend.

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles
    Things seem to be progressing along with the range according to plan. While I don't doubt the information that has been passed, Brandon doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would put his reputation and business on the line if there was signifigant chance of failure. That said, stranger things have happened. As with any new place to shoot, I wish it well, and it seems like they have busted ass to make it nice and are not stopping. LOL

Saw he posted this on Tigerdroppings

https://www.facebook.com/nolatactc/...heater&notif_t=like&notif_id=1501286899672903

Last edited:

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I don't understand why the people running the range don't join BS and help answer questions and promote the range on the biggest LA gun Forum.

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles
    Because he was banned here a couple of years ago..

Yeah, he came back on for like a minute, literally, LOL when new management took over, and then people bitched and moaned, so he was banned again. i asked him the same thing, and he said that he spoke with the new management and everything was suppossed to be worked out and he wanted to pay for a sponsorship, but no one will get back to him or move forward on it.

I think all the drama with him was before my time, but seems kinda silly after all that time not to let the guy at least have a chance if for nothing else than to answer questions about the ranges he runs.

Above my pay grade. lol

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Well, I didn't like the things I've just read about the financial stability of the track, considering that I bought into the gun range, so I hope it goes better than some of you predict! I knew about the track, as I live very close, but did not know anything about the financial condition of it. I would feel like such a sucker if it fails! As stated, the track itself could very well have money issues and go under, or be sold to another owner, that may not want a gun range adjacent to his track, either of which could spell doom for the range.

My primary reason for joining was such close proximity to an outdoor range, considering I live in Marrero. Driving an hour to Honey Island, or the Sheriffs range in Houma, wasn't terrible, they are both great ranges, but and hour each way, to either of those is a lot less desirable than 15:00 from my house!!

Lets just hope that this works out...

Dude, just go do your thing and enjoy it. Ignorance is bliss.
    For some reason the track seems to be a topic that draws negativity, rumor and speculation. While it does have it's problems and I have had to deal with some myself, as have friends, I have found that I just worry about myself and what I can control, IE: 'My end of the deal'. That doesn't mean NOShooter is wrong. There is not one thing he said that I haven't heard before or seen first hand. I think he truly is trying to present some info for the good of his fellow gun owners. He is not an a-hole or a douche bag, has earned the right to his opinion first hand and probably spent his money doing so. My brother wanted to get a garage there and I talked him out of it. A lot of that stuff doesn't affect the range anyway. I can tell you that all expenditures we make based on the track being there are tempered with the possibility it could go away any day now. I just choose not to waste a lot of time pissing and moaning on every negative what if. I prefer to get the most out of it while I can.
    I don't know the financial situation. I doubt anyone else truly knows either. I also don't know where facts end and rumor begins in certain areas. The owners of the track have a vested interest in the range succeeding. From what I know they are putting out the money and letting Brandon make the decisions.
    I do karting there. We had our issues. Since 2 people left I have not had any major complaints. There have been more than 2 leave that I loved dealing with. Some of it also comes from me adjusting my expectations. So that makes it 3 out of 4 guys running karting that were great to deal with. The guys I now deal with are great. They do what they promise. When they can't I know it up front.

Last edited:

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    I went to the wine and dine pretrack sales pitches. They talked all about rainbows and unicorns with trackside houses and garage rentals and track time every day available. Thank GOD I didn't fall for any of that and get suckered into a lot or garage. The track turned out exactly how I thought it would, and for anybody who thinks they're still planning for the Phase 2 expansion, well, good luck with that. As far as I'm aware, that was off the table before they even finished pouring the main track. They seem content with the karting/autoX/carshows and bikes and some track days sprinkled about, enough so that I'm not really worried about the range. And if I'm wrong and it shuts down, OMG, I'll be out a grand, BFD! In the mean time, I've shot there every weekend since they opened, and I'll be out there again this weekend.
    I have been there when every race surface had an event. Pretty impressive.
    There have been several massive karting events there. As a kart track it is on a world class level.
    But yeah no guarantee it will last forever.

Last edited:

miscverb

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 23, 2016
    Destrehan LA
    I am a member of NOLATAC and the range is GREAT! It is getting better by the day, and WE ALL need gun ranges to be successful in these times of political attack on the sport we love. Anyway, come on out and enjoy some shooting if and when you can. Have a good day.

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles
    I am a member of NOLATAC and the range is GREAT! It is getting better by the day, and WE ALL need gun ranges to be successful in these times of political attack on the sport we love. Anyway, come on out and enjoy some shooting if and when you can. Have a good day.

Since it is members only, do you know if they plan to have any "open house" or public days?

Sig66

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2016
    NOLA Westbank
    He told us that eventually he will try to open the club to the public, one weekend a month, but nothing has been said about when that will start. Right now, I think he's focusing on letting us members shoot as much as possible, before allowing non-members to come in and shoot.

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles
    He told us that eventually he will try to open the club to the public, one weekend a month, but nothing has been said about when that will start. Right now, I think he's focusing on letting us members shoot as much as possible, before allowing non-members to come in and shoot.

That makes sense.

miscverb

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 23, 2016
    Destrehan LA
    Since it is members only, do you know if they plan to have any "open house" or public days?

I have not heard that at this time. Also there is a monthly payment plan as well if anyone is interested.

Also you can go shoot with a member up to 4 times per year for free (this assumes the member is claiming you so to speak), or you can shoot with a member for $40 per day.

Last edited:

NOShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2014
    New Orleans
    Dude, just go do your thing and enjoy it. Ignorance is bliss.
    For some reason the track seems to be a topic that draws negativity, rumor and speculation. While it does have it's problems and I have had to deal with some myself, as have friends, I have found that I just worry about myself and what I can control, IE: 'My end of the deal'. That doesn't mean NOShooter is wrong. There is not one thing he said that I haven't heard before or seen first hand. I think he truly is trying to present some info for the good of his fellow gun owners. He is not an a-hole or a douche bag, has earned the right to his opinion first hand and probably spent his money doing so. My brother wanted to get a garage there and I talked him out of it. A lot of that stuff doesn't affect the range anyway. I can tell you that all expenditures we make based on the track being there are tempered with the possibility it could go away any day now. I just choose not to waste a lot of time pissing and moaning on every negative what if. I prefer to get the most out of it while I can.
    I don't know the financial situation. I doubt anyone else truly knows either. I also don't know where facts end and rumor begins in certain areas. The owners of the track have a vested interest in the range succeeding. From what I know they are putting out the money and letting Brandon make the decisions.
    I do karting there. We had our issues. Since 2 people left I have not had any major complaints. There have been more than 2 leave that I loved dealing with. Some of it also comes from me adjusting my expectations. So that makes it 3 out of 4 guys running karting that were great to deal with. The guys I now deal with are great. They do what they promise. When they can't I know it up front.

I've been pondering how i would respond, or if i would respond at all to the subsequent comments on the information that I shared.

I've come to the conclusion that, in all reality, I do hope that the range succeeds. My issue is not with the range, brandon, people who have joined, people who want to, etc. I would love it if there was a world class long distance shooting center 20 minutes from my house.

My issue is with the track. The way it has been ran. The wrongs that have yet to righted. the unkept promises. The lack of any semblance of customer service. The gross negligence.

I also have an outstanding issue with the track in which their negligence damaged my property that is kept at the track in a garage.

All that being said, it is not out of the question for me to join the range after i get my situation squared with the track. It sucks that the track will see , even a percentile of whatever i spend to join the range. It sucks that the future of the range is so tied to what is a really poorly run motorsports park.

I kind of wish that Nolatac had purchased or leased land that is adjacent to the park, but I understand from a cost/investment perspective why Brandon did what he did.

It would be great for those interested if those of y'all that are frequenting the range could take pictures and give us a brief run down of the amentities and setup. That might help entice some additional folks to join up and go shoot.

I also believe that to truly draw more people, some sort of open house/meet and greet ( whether it involves live fire or not) would be hugely beneficial to the goal of getting a strong membership base out there.

I'd also say that Brandon may want to give some thought to approaching those that already lease garages or belong to nola some sort of bundle discount if they opt to join the range too.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    I've been pondering how i would respond, or if i would respond at all to the subsequent comments on the information that I shared.

I've come to the conclusion that, in all reality, I do hope that the range succeeds. My issue is not with the range, brandon, people who have joined, people who want to, etc. I would love it if there was a world class long distance shooting center 20 minutes from my house.

My issue is with the track. The way it has been ran. The wrongs that have yet to righted. the unkept promises. The lack of any semblance of customer service. The gross negligence.

I also have an outstanding issue with the track in which their negligence damaged my property that is kept at the track in a garage.

All that being said, it is not out of the question for me to join the range after i get my situation squared with the track. It sucks that the track will see , even a percentile of whatever i spend to join the range. It sucks that the future of the range is so tied to what is a really poorly run motorsports park.

I kind of wish that Nolatac had purchased or leased land that is adjacent to the park, but I understand from a cost/investment perspective why Brandon did what he did.

It would be great for those interested if those of y'all that are frequenting the range could take pictures and give us a brief run down of the amentities and setup. That might help entice some additional folks to join up and go shoot.

I also believe that to truly draw more people, some sort of open house/meet and greet ( whether it involves live fire or not) would be hugely beneficial to the goal of getting a strong membership base out there.

I'd also say that Brandon may want to give some thought to approaching those that already lease garages or belong to nola some sort of bundle discount if they opt to join the range too.

I felt the need to defend what you said and not just let you go under the bus. I wasn't sure about the CEO's cutting grass comment - seemed far fetched - but it was confirmed. As I type this I am recalling the day I went and got all of my kart stuff off of NOLA MSP's property due to issues there. Their issues, not mine. Luckily we had an alternative within 5-10 minutes away. I was @ a friends garage last night and he has had issues and is pretty aware of the problems as well. I still have keys to a couple of garages there. One may or may not be occupied by who gave me the key now that I think of it. I do know there has been a lot of employee turnover there. I think the owner has a way of getting BS's by certain people.

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles

i mean I know the guy had some issues here in the past, but with the board under new ownership, and the guy owning two of the more successful and nicer "local" ranges, is there any particular reason he is not back? I am pretty sure he wants to sponsor here. Wasn't it like several years ago when he was booted? I mean ****, he had to grow up at least a little bit huh? LOL

Regardless, thanks for clearing up your position. I think I see where your heartburn comes from. Yeah, I want to see any range succeed not only for personal options, but to make shooting more of a "normal" thing because there is more of it.

Is there anyone in the leadership here to see if he could be invited back to answer some of these questions and help promote the range. I am sure he would even do a BS.com day or something. Just a thought.

Top Bottom