NOLATAC Training Center - New Outdoor Range in Avondale

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dtrice

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2011
    Metarie, LA
    I can shoot out to 300 yrds at my range. I drive 45 minutes one way and it does not cost me $1000 per year. And if I decide to shoot further than than that, I can just go out to my personal property in the country and shoot to my hearts content with no cost except for the cost of the ammo. And also, I dont have to worry about anyone else "muzzling" me. I guess I am lucky.
    Which range do you go to?

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles
    I was really interested until I found out it's only going to be open to it's members for one pre-scheduled weekend per month. So if I'm not available for the few open days per month, then I just can't shoot there til next month? Am I missing something??

That is the minimum it is guaranteed to be open. It will be open more than that from what i read him post elsewhere. That is just letting you know that worst case, it would only be open 5 days in a month, but most weekends should be open.

homeslice

Be honest.
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    St. Charles Parish
    For $1,000.00/yr. it should be like MCTA. Full use of range 24/7.

I agree. But right now, it's $500 a year for the first 100 members. I think he's doing the best he can with the scheduling of the racetrack's events so they don't conflict. Being a good neighbor, etc. Also he has a referral program where if you refer a member you get a month for free. I guess the place is more tailored to those in the immediate area who want the capability to shoot 1300 yards, and soon he hopes up to 2000.

NOShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2014
    New Orleans
    I agree. But right now, it's $500 a year for the first 100 members. I think he's doing the best he can with the scheduling of the racetrack's events so they don't conflict. Being a good neighbor, etc. Also he has a referral program where if you refer a member you get a month for free. I guess the place is more tailored to those in the immediate area who want the capability to shoot 1300 yards, and soon he hopes up to 2000.

1. Some folks around orleans parish are wary of Brandon for many reasons. Some plain just don't like him. It's a business and to a degree, I can get over that.

2. The park has had its issues over the past few years. I've had a garage over there for almost as long as theyve been open. Over the years, it's been quite a challenge at certain times. I'm opting to invest money in rennovating my stupid large car port into a garage. once I'm done with that, I'll vacate my garage. The park has increasingly taken away services that were once included and raised rents.

3. A year ago there where signs up at the gate entrance to the park that said " NO GUNS" in BIG bold letters. How long will a firearms friendly stance actually last out there? I had 2 safes in my unit and was politely asked if I'd move them. They were out there because, at the time, there was 24/7 security and it was a much better option than having them at my house.

4. Brandon missed the boat in not offering discounts to park members and garage tennants. these are people that have expensive toys and are used to coming out to the park.

With eymard's being closed and hugh's family squabbling over the range, the long distance options have dried up. ( which really sucks for me, as that's what is most enjoyable for me.)

If the park/brandon got thier stuff together and made this a viable thing, including NRA endorsements and some sanctioning body endorsements, that might start to change my mind.

For now, the " plan" seems eerily similar to what Laney promised the lifetime park members, which has not and will never actually materialize, which is a shame. Even the motorsports memberships promised much more than we ever recieved, which is why I've dialed my money spent back to just the garage. Hell, they even constantly rent the park out to the drifter kids, who bring a crowd that can't even handle being respectful and cleaning up their own trash and ciggarette butts. I don't want to even imagine what injecting firearms into that crowd would mean.

All in all, the park experience has become much less fun or enjoyable over the last 2 years. Hell, it takes 4-8 weeks to even get an email response from the CEO or CFO. The shining stars over there are Holly and Renell ( who is awesome and if i had a position to fill, I'd hire her in an instant.)

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I shoot pistols, and have little use for a long range.

However, having a range this close to home would be tempting. I spend at least $500/year just driving back and forth to Honey Island.
    The deal killer for me is the guest fees. Nobody likes to shoot alone. $40/day for visitors, on top of $1K/year membership is not acceptable to me.
    I'll pass.

- - - Updated - - -

I shoot pistols, and have little use for a long range.

However, having a range this close to home would be tempting. I spend at least $500/year just driving back and forth to Honey Island.
    The deal killer for me is the guest fees. Nobody likes to shoot alone. $40/day for visitors, on top of $1K/year membership is not acceptable to me.
    I'll pass.

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    1. Some folks around orleans parish are wary of Brandon for many reasons. Some plain just don't like him. It's a business and to a degree, I can get over that.

2. The park has had its issues over the past few years. I've had a garage over there for almost as long as theyve been open. Over the years, it's been quite a challenge at certain times. I'm opting to invest money in rennovating my stupid large car port into a garage. once I'm done with that, I'll vacate my garage. The park has increasingly taken away services that were once included and raised rents.

3. A year ago there where signs up at the gate entrance to the park that said " NO GUNS" in BIG bold letters. How long will a firearms friendly stance actually last out there? I had 2 safes in my unit and was politely asked if I'd move them. They were out there because, at the time, there was 24/7 security and it was a much better option than having them at my house.

4. Brandon missed the boat in not offering discounts to park members and garage tennants. these are people that have expensive toys and are used to coming out to the park.

With eymard's being closed and hugh's family squabbling over the range, the long distance options have dried up. ( which really sucks for me, as that's what is most enjoyable for me.)

If the park/brandon got thier stuff together and made this a viable thing, including NRA endorsements and some sanctioning body endorsements, that might start to change my mind.

For now, the " plan" seems eerily similar to what Laney promised the lifetime park members, which has not and will never actually materialize, which is a shame. Even the motorsports memberships promised much more than we ever recieved, which is why I've dialed my money spent back to just the garage. Hell, they even constantly rent the park out to the drifter kids, who bring a crowd that can't even handle being respectful and cleaning up their own trash and ciggarette butts. I don't want to even imagine what injecting firearms into that crowd would mean.

All in all, the park experience has become much less fun or enjoyable over the last 2 years. Hell, it takes 4-8 weeks to even get an email response from the CEO or CFO. The shining stars over there are Holly and Renell ( who is awesome and if i had a position to fill, I'd hire her in an instant.)

I have no knowledge or experience with this range/outfit but, if what you are saying is true, I see a failure to continue to exist in their future. And if true, rightfully so for their failure.

homeslice

Be honest.
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    St. Charles Parish
    NOShooter - Can't speak to your dealings with the park management. But for what it's worth, they (range vs racetrack) simply coordinate schedules so they aren't conflicting with each other. Other than that, it's two separate businesses. I can speak to what I've seen thus far. And if it continues on being developed it will be a great place.

DBMJR1 - It's $500 a year right now for the first 100 members. Plus members get guest passes, I think it's 4 per year.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    NOShooter - Can't speak to your dealings with the park management. But for what it's worth, they (range vs racetrack) simply coordinate schedules so they aren't conflicting with each other. Other than that, it's two separate businesses. I can speak to what I've seen thus far. And if it continues on being developed it will be a great place.

DBMJR1 - It's $500 a year right now for the first 100 members. Plus members get guest passes, I think it's 4 per year.

What I read was that it's $1K/year, with buy one get one free for the first 100 members. That means that the third, fourth, etc are all going to cost $1K/year, assuming they don't raise the rates.

Say I shoot, conservatively, 50 times a year, and bring a guest each time. That's 46 X $40 = an additional $1,840.00 a year, bringing the rate to $2,840/year.

For that kind of money, over ten years, I could spend less money buying a used Prius to drive back and forth to Honey Island, and leave my truck at home.

Last edited:

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    What I read was that it's $1K/year, with buy one get one free for the first 100 members. That means that the third, fourth, etc are all going to cost $1K/year, assuming they don't raise the rates.

Say I shoot, conservatively, 50 times a year, and bring a guest each time. That's 46 X $40 = an additional $1,840.00 a year, bringing the rate to $2,840/year.

For that kind of money, over ten years, I could spend less money buying a used Prius to drive back and forth to Honey Island, and leaving my truck at home.

Yep, you got that right! And after spending your money on the Prius, you would still have some concrete value of some sort to either keep or sell off to recoup some of your funds that you paid out for it. ;)

Last edited:

JoeLiberty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    United States
    I guess the place is more tailored to RICH PEOPLE WITH FLEXIBLE SCHEDULES in the immediate area who want the capability to shoot 1300 yards, and soon he hopes up to 2000.
    Fixed it for you.
    I'm in the immediate area. I want the capability to shoot long range. Hell I'd settle for being able to shoot 200yds in the area. This place is not tailored to me though. Reminds me of H&K management. Going after that law enforcement and military money. Forget the civilian market, unless you have $1,000, then you can play along... sometimes.
    6237575982_bbe9b8e7b4_z.jpg

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    Good luck to y'all and your car deals. :rofl: I'll be shooting at 1300 yards, not necessarily hitting anything. But I'll be shooting at it! Haha.

Sounds like you be renting a hooker while you are intoxicated. You paying for it but not be hitting a darn thing! :dogkeke:
    At least those with the car deals will be driving what they paid for! :rofl:

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles

For that kind of money, over ten years, I could spend less money buying a used Prius to drive back and forth to Honey Island, and leave my truck at home.

The multiple videos I saw on their facebook page say the 2 years for the price of one is the price you keep as long as you do not allow your membership to lapse, even if they go up on prices. I talked to a couple of folks who have become members or inquired directly, and they say that is the case, you keep the pricing, making it only 500.00 per year. Given what they have, what they are going to have, and their lower pricing for spouses, it seems like a decent value if that is the kind of place you are into.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna

As long as you don't let your membership lapse, the first 100 will continue at what is effectively $500 a year for as long as you stay current. That is how it was explained to me.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    That whole place is doomed, the CEO and CFO are cutting the grass out there to save money. NOLA motorsports park is in debt up to it's eyeballs and falling quickly.

homeslice

Be honest.
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    St. Charles Parish

This sign has been removed, by the way. Just last weekend. Little silly to have a range on the property with that sort of thing still up.

jdavid1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    Hammond, LA

For that kind of money you could buy your own property to shoot at.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ChefBQ
    Top Bottom