Are Opossums Aggressive?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mukwah

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    Shreveport,La
    Cornered one in my garage once. Kept poking at him to get him out. Then he bowed up at me. I'll tell you, he was pretty gnarly looking when he started showing teeth. Decided best just to leave him be. Next day he was gone. Good riddance!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I had one on a limb just above the fence around my yard at 2:30am, my dogs were going nuts! So I took a shovel to push him off and let him fall on the other side but when I pushed him off he got a claw on the limb and swung (like a cartoon) back INTO my yard, he was dead before he hit the ground

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    I used to trap many of them years ago in spring traps baited with horse feed because they kept trying to get into our horse's feed. Go out and find them with a foot/leg in the trap. Shovel to the head dispatched them quickly. Found one in our outside trash can, a .22 to its head dispatched it quickly. My Dad found one in the hole of a tree with babies one day, a .410 took care of all of them with one round fired. Nasty creatures they are!

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I was at the Fire Dept. years ago and my cousin a Deputy stopped by and while we were visiting he got a call. It was two brothers and one shot at the other and the reason was they were cooking a possum and one wanted to salt it and the other didn't

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I was at the Fire Dept. years ago and my cousin a Deputy stopped by and while we were visiting he got a call. It was two brothers and one shot at the other and the reason was they were cooking a possum and one wanted to salt it and the other didn't

Makes sense. Not like shooting kin over silly stuff, like drugs, wimmins or money.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Been having one that hangs around the camp yard. We have a mutual understanding, it seems like: I throw out table scraps and he always makes sure they're gone by the next morning. The little guys actually named him "Paul", so I guess he's here to stay.

Paul is probably in the Fortune 500 of the possum world- he eats a lot better than most. :dogkeke:

YoungMarine

Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    W. Feliciana
    Opossums look mean, especially while hissing at you while showing their gnarly teeth, but despite the defensive posture I have never had one attack me. They used to get in our trash every once in awhile as a kid and I would pick them up by the tail and bring them back in the woods. They calm down when you grab them by the tail.

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    My grandmother baked them like chicken, and it tasted like baked rabbit or chicken, only with more fat. I came on a cow carcass one time and kicked it - two possums came out of the body! I haven't eaten one since then (late 1950s).

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    This is a happy possum.
    Possum-M.jpg

This is a possum who should have eaten fewer apples. The yote thanks me.
    PICT7445-M.jpg

Top Bottom