Are Opossums Aggressive?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    The one i have here jumped me the other night. The internet says they are not but that sucker jumped me mouth open and hissing.
    When the wife or I would see it before it would run away.
    It did finally run off! Man I could see my self at the ER getting a bite cleaned up and shots for god knows what!

nolaboy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2015
    New Orleans Lousiana
    The one i have here jumped me the other night. The internet says they are not but that sucker jumped me mouth open and hissing.
    When the wife or I would see it before it would run away.
    It did finally run off! Man I could see my self at the ER getting a bite cleaned up and shots for god knows what!
    Maybe if cornered. They bark but don't really bite. The hiss is a defense mechanism right before they play dead.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    Around my area, we quickly put some lead in its head very shortly after one decides to give us a hiss! ;)
    Of course, we live in the country and dont have to worry about any ordinances!

nolaboy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2015
    New Orleans Lousiana
    Actually I don't even think they will fight when cornered. If so it's very little. An exception might be a mom protecting her cubs. My dog used to get a hold of them all the time and they would go from hiss to play dead almost instantly. Theyd play dead until my dog got bored or they expired. We would assume it expired if it was still laying in the same spot the next morning.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    I have seen some be aggressive, but 99% of they time they prefer to play Opposume....

jlee

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 29, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    We had a family take up residence under my lawnmower in the garage. They kept hissing at the dog and then at me when I went to evict them. Lead wasn't an initial option due to them being in the garage, but after the two babies were dispatched, the momma tried to jump out at me and my neighbor.

In the end, all three were relocated to a happier place. I was mostly worried about the dog getting bit or scratched because she wasn't letting up. They may not be aggressive, but if you back anything into a corner the unexpected is bound to happen.

Hermit

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 27, 2007
    Ascension
    I haven't encountered any aggressive ones,
    but they don't chase away; they stand their
    ground and hiss. When I come across one,
    I scoop it up in a landing net and toss him
    in the field across the street. Surprisingly,
    they don't just come back right away.

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    opossums aren't normally aggressive, but if they're defending babies/home or feel threatened they can be a handful to handle.

At my parents house ( Back end of Belle Chasse ), we see coyote, opossum, armdaillo, snakes, etc... you name it. Me and my dad shoot on sight, no questions asked. after we called PPSO and alerted them so no eyebrows were raised if gunshots were reported, they told us, not to bother calling anymore, they remember who we are. lol.... we keep a "high powered" pellet gun, (.177 at 1200fps) and a 5.56AR right by the back door at all times. lol...

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    They look slow, but corner one and poke him. He'll likely look away and open his mouth. Go in for another poke and you'll never see it coming. I ain't saying they're as bad as a mad coon, but check them teeth.
    Word of advice, as easy as it is to sneak up on a fat possum and as tempting as it is to give him a good crow hopping punt, better to pick up a stick before ya break yer foot.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    LOL!

I had a possum stand up to my (130 lb) doberman years ago... I was a afraid the possum was sick so decided to pull the dog inside. That was one strong dog!

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    In my experience they are faster than I expected. I think they won't run until needed and sure running will work. They may have poor eyesight or something as they seem to not be 100% aware fully out in the open and visible and rely on stillness as hiding totally in the open.

I have seen a cat that got into it with a possum. Cat got ripped open pretty good.

I hear you put a honey bun in a garbage can, then ramp a plank up on the can rim the possum will walk the plank to the honey bun and go for it. Then it can't get up out of the can.

I'm pretty sure I have seen DBMJR1 on another forum alluding to him having a recipe for possum . . .

Last edited:

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    In my experience they are faster than I expected. I think they won't run until needed and sure running will work. They may have poor eyesight or something as they seem to not be 100% aware fully out in the open and visible and rely on stillness as hiding totally in the open.

I have seen a cat that got into it with a possum. Cat got ripped open pretty good.

I hear you put a honey bun in a garbage can, then ramp a plank up on the can rim the possum will walk the plank to the honey bun and go for it. Then it can't get up out of the can.

I'm pretty sure I have seen DBMJR1 on another forum alluding to him having a recipe for possum . . .

The secret is to catch the critter alive and feed it cat food for a week.

Top Bottom