Trapdoor Springfield

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dishdog1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2016
    Keithville, la.
    I have a model 1873 Trapdoor Springfield that shoots 45/70 ammo. Have been wondering if the modern ammo is safe to use in it. I've never shot it and would like to try it out, just don't want to "damage" it or myself in the process.

Doctor481

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    If the gun is in good shape the "black powder equivalent" loads should be safe to fire in it. I wouldn't use the modern hunting rounds intended for the newer firearms. I also have a Trapdoor and it's fun to break it out when the guys come by to shoot their AR's and such. That thing kicks worse than my 458 SOCOM.

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    Dishdog,

I'm in the Shreveport area so help is not far away. As has been said, use only black powder (or equivalent) loads. While there are some modern powders that have a low enough pressure, they have a higher flame temp. Another problem is the Trapdoors have a larger bore than we think of as 45 today, often .464 & sometimes bigger. Fear not, I have the correct bullet mold (405 grain).

If you pm me the serial number (X out the last couple of digits if you wish), I'll tell you when it was made. Don't be surprised if it's not a model 1873, they didn't change the markings right away.

BTW, I have an 1884 rifle.

Doug

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    Best to look for Cowboy Action loads. I've found Ultramax CB45701 at 940 ft/lbs and 1100 FPS to work, think I got it at Cabelas or might have been Bass Pro. I've googled others but haven't tried them. Powder River also looks like they have some good trapdoor products. Definitely no modern high pressure 45-70 ammo.

dishdog1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2016
    Keithville, la.
    Thanks for the info. The serial number on mine is 200050. Any information about it would be appreciated.

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    Yours was born in 1883, the last serial number that year was 228,854. So it is a model 1873, just a very late one.

I reload to the carbine load, the object is to have fun not kick your shoulder off. And a can of 777 lasts a bit longer.

Top Bottom