Do's and Don'ts Tips for first time seller?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I've never had an issue selling to a bayoushooter member, most of them are really cool guys, some of which we still keep in contact. I had a suspicious person the ONE time I listed a slow moving product on Louisiana sportsman. Had all kind's of red flags the day we decided to meet. Didn't want to talk on the phone, finally did, and you immediately could tell his race. Then tells me he doesn't have a LA ID but would his car registration work? I didn't meet up with him, and since either sold to friends, family or bayoushooter members. Sold a few online on other forums too, but those were shipped to FFL's.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    But just to give a different opinion, a bill of sale serves no purpose. If it make you feel better to have one then do it, just make sure the buyer knows in advance that you want one. Some buyers won't do one so this may limit your buyer pool if you require it.

There's not a strict legal requirement for a bill of sale, but I insist on signed bills of sale for any private firearms transaction that I engage in. If the BATF ever comes knocking, a bill of sale is going to show good faith diligence on the part of both parties.

I agree with all of the other advice offered here. I also appreciate talking to the other party on the phone before meeting in person; that gives me some sense of who I'm dealing with.

Mike

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I've never had an issue selling to a bayoushooter member, most of them are really cool guys, some of which we still keep in contact.

Same here noob, maybe I have been lucky but everybody I have met FTF and dealt with here has been cool. Smooth deals in a public place/parking lot.

Most of the crazies here seem to self-destruct somewhere along the way. Just cannot help themselves/play by the rules.

Last edited:

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    I sounds selfish, but most of the people I meet from this site after talking in person for 10-15 mins for the transfer I feel like they really could make good friends to hang out with on a reg biases, I mean we obvious all have the same addictive hobby, but with my family life, 3 kids, shift work with more overtime than a man should have to work, I just don't have any time for more friends lol, kinda sounds mean like that huh

That's why I really wish I could make the meet and greet, but overtime is a sob... But hey it feeds my addiction and of course my wife's lol

Last edited:

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    What everyone else said and I would add: Document a bill of sale including date, cost, gun manufacturer, gun model, gun serial no, buyer signature, seller signature, with both LA Driver's License numbers under each signature. I state the conditions of the sale ahead of the meet time. I've never had anyone decline. If they decline I would move on. I keep the bill of sale in my records.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    rynola
    Top Bottom