Do's and Don'ts Tips for first time seller?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steve Chance

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2017
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Hi guys,

I need to sell a hand gun and someone said to use the classified forum here. I realize this is not the section for posting a "WTS" add, I just need some tips from guys with experience. I'm a newbie to selling (anything) to someone based on an internet ad, and I REALLY DON'T WANT TO GET SCREWED.

I'm thinking I should sell locally (rather than shipping), I should meet them in a safe place, and only take cash. I'm also thinking I should ask to see their license so that I know that they're at least 21 years old, and I feel like I should use my phone to take a picture of the license, in case the gun is used in a crime the next day and traced back to me.

I'd appreciate any advice you have, especially regarding what qualifies as a "safe place" to conduct the transaction.

Thanks!!
    Steve

Fugum

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Metairie
    I'd definitely meet in a public place and cash is always king. I'd have no problem showing my license and completing a bill of sale but I'd have a problem with letting you take a pic of my license.

snipehunter7

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 31, 2016
    Franklinton, LA
    You're on the right track - public place where you feel comfortable, check their ID (agree with Fugum that a picture is too much to ask and unnecessary) and do a BOS if you want, cash (inspect it to make sure it's real).

I always research the person I'm meeting and TALK to them on the phone. Search their phone number, email, FB profile, whatever you can find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Meet in a populated place (I have heard some police departments allow this). Bring a friend with you. I would use a bill of sale, that way, if anything crazy happens years down the road, you know when you sold the gun, you won't know how many people (if any) have owned the gun after you sold it.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Look for their feedback on here as well.. I have met with a ton of members face to face and had great transactions with many of them!

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    You're on the right track - public place where you feel comfortable, check their ID (agree with Fugum that a picture is too much to ask and unnecessary) and do a BOS if you want, cash (inspect it to make sure it's real).

I always research the person I'm meeting and TALK to them on the phone. Search their phone number, email, FB profile, whatever you can find.

I completely agree with this. I do this before a transaction whether I'm buying OR selling. Its good to have a basic idea of the individual before you meet with them, even in public, considering firearms will be present.... I feel a more relaxed when meeting with Bayoushooter members, due to NEVER having a bad experience meeting anyone on here in the past, but its still good to have whatever knowledge you can gain.....

Last edited:

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    what a noob!!!! lol joking man, I was the same way when I first started buy/sell/trade... was scared to death. I have never had an issue. I used to keep bill of sales and all that stuff, but with the amount of guns I have bought/sold/traded, I would have a huge file cabinet full of papers and also I have never once been questioned by cops/investigation about a where abouts of a firearm I may have bought or had possession of that was used in a crime.. If somebody request a bill of sale I have no issue with it, I personally just don't do it on my end.. To me one of the perks of buy/sell/trade is to get out of taxs, get a gun that you don't have to file paper work on, and no im not paranoid or anything I have a chp, and more than enough suppressors and sbrs. I did have one person that was selling a handgun and required us to meet at a gun dealer and he make me fill out the papers to buy gun, yea that's silly and that deal never worked out..... just be on your toes, and talk to the fella on the phone before to get a good idea of his attitude and mindset, never show a gun with "loaded mags" in the same box, and keep an eye on him to make sure his body language isn't throwing any flags, and my golden rule is for GOD sake never sell a gun without having a gun on you also...

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Also, a handgun buyer in a personal sale does not have to be 21 (18 or older). Use the license to ensure he/she is an LA resident (illegal to sell to a resident of another state) and who they say they are, as in, the license info matches the BoS info. Good Luck!

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Most everything has been covered about keeping you safe.
    But just to give a different opinion, a bill of sale serves no purpose. If it make you feel better to have one then do it, just make sure the buyer knows in advance that you want one. Some buyers won't do one so this may limit your buyer pool if you require it.

Also, a handgun buyer in a personal sale does not have to be 21 (18 or older). Use the license to ensure he/she is an LA resident (illegal to sell to a resident of another state) and who they say they are, as in, the license info matches the BoS info. Good Luck!

As stated above the buyer only has to be 18, doesn't matter if it is a handgun or long gun, but they do have to be a resident of the LA to not use an FFL. It is not illegal to sell to a resident of another state, you just have go through a FFL dealer.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    As stated above the buyer only has to be 18, doesn't matter if it is a handgun or long gun, but they do have to be a resident of the LA to not use an FFL. It is not illegal to sell to a resident of another state, you just have go through a FFL dealer.

Ah, good clarification. I didn't think of that.

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Most everything has been covered about keeping you safe.
    But just to give a different opinion, a bill of sale serves no purpose. If it make you feel better to have one then do it, just make sure the buyer knows in advance that you want one. Some buyers won't do one so this may limit your buyer pool if you require it.

Just to clarify, even a FFL dealer cannot transfer a handgun to a resident of a different state. You can sell a handgun to resident of a different state, but you would have to ship it to a FFL there. In other words, you cannot go to a FFL in Baton Rouge to do a transfer of a handgun to a Florida resident.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Do not use armslist, there was a member on here robbed at gunpoint in broad daylight trying to sell a gun on those sites

Steve Chance

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2017
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Thank you all for taking the time to reply, I've learned a lot in a short amount of time!
    Such as:
    Bring a friend (preferably a friend with a gun).
    Meet in a public place. So I’m thinking like a McDonald’s parking lot is ok, but inside the McDonald’s would probably freak the employees out.
    Snipehunter7 said, *inspect the cash to make sure it’s real*, that’s a very good point.
    whitsend said, *must be 18 and a resident of Louisiana*. I didn’t realize that! Thanks for the education!

If the gun sells, I'll try to add a final post here to let y'all know how I did with the sale.

Thanks Again!
    Steve

snipehunter7

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 31, 2016
    Franklinton, LA
    I don't know how the Bass Pro in Denham would react, but a few years ago I met a guy in the lobby of the Bass Pro in Grapevine, TX. He said he did all of his deals there. They also had an indoor range so firearms were normal.

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    I don't know how the Bass Pro in Denham would react, but a few years ago I met a guy in the lobby of the Bass Pro in Grapevine, TX. He said he did all of his deals there. They also had an indoor range so firearms were normal.

I've done several transactions in BASSPRO's parking lot in Denham. They have no issues with it. The first time I did it, I showed up early and asked the store manager about it. He said no biggie......

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I always meet at a place like mentioned above but park where i know the cameras see all. That way if something did happen it is being recorded. {ie} to me no use meeting in a public place and not use it 100%

Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    For a bayoushooter member I'd just leave the gun in the mailbox with an envelope for them to put the money in. Everyone else gets the broad daylight public parking lot treatment.

Top Bottom