Makarov: Which Country?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    I am talking about true military Makarov pistols, not the later commercial Russian IJ, or other pistols produced in the 9x18 makarov caliber.
    Which country military Makarov pistol is your favorite; Russian (if you are lucky to possess one), East German, Bulgarian, Polish, or Chinese.
    I dont have a Russian but have 1 or more of the Bulgarians and 1 or more of the East Germans. While the Bulgarians are nice, my East Germans are my favorite.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    I am talking about true military Makarov pistols, not the later commercial Russian IJ, or other pistols produced in the 9x18 makarov caliber.
    Which country military Makarov pistol is your favorite; Russian (if you are lucky to possess one), East German, Bulgarian, Polish, or Chinese.
    I dont have a Russian but have 1 or more of the Bulgarians and 1 or more of the East Germans. While the Bulgarians are nice, my East Germans are my favorite.

East German variations are the most sought after. They are the best quality.

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    I too like the Simson-Suhls the best. I don't know anyone who has a Soviet Makarov not listed as a Bulgarian. There were a number of them years ago with the bifurcated triangle with a big Bulgaria import stamp.

Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    This thread is relevant to my interest.
    I've recently been fighting a strong desire to get a makarov.

Are there any places in the nola area that has any to look at for sale?

Last edited:

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    This thread is relevant to my interest.
    I've recently been fighting a strong desire to get a makarov.

Are there any places in the nola area that has any to look at for sale?

I dont know about the nola area, but I got both of my Bulgarians from southernohiogun.com. One was completely matched with 2 matching mags, holster, cleaning rod, and service/maintenance log book that was also matching to the firearm. The other was just matching numbers on the firearm itself with 1 unmatching mag. My two East Germans were purchased from individuals off of gunbroker.

Last edited:

Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    I dont know about the nola area, but I got both of my Bulgarians from southernohioguns.com. One was completely matched with 2 matching mags, holster, cleaning rod, and service/maintenance log book that was also matching to the firearm. The other was just matching numbers on the firearm itself with 1 unmatching mag. My two East Germans were purchased from individuals off of gunbroker.

Yeah I looked at southernohio. I was hoping to see some locally. I wonder if the gun show has some. There's one coming up in June in Kenner.

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    I have 2 Russians I bought in the 80's. Don't tell me they're worth something now.

If they are original Russian military Makarov PM pistols, they are worth a good amount! Even if they are the Russian commercial IJ models they are still worth a good amount but not as good as the military versions! It you paid a good decent price for them back then, you most likely done good!

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    If they are original Russian military Makarov PM pistols, they are worth a good amount! Even if they are the Russian commercial IJ models they are still worth a good amount but not as good as the military versions! It you paid a good decent price for them back then, you most likely done good!
    Yeah, they're original mil surp armory pistols. I remember buying them because they were so cheap but don't remember what I paid for them. It was at the height of the Ruskie import era during the 80's. I mostly bought AK's and SKS rifles back then.

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    Yeah, they're original mil surp armory pistols. I remember buying them because they were so cheap but don't remember what I paid for them. It was at the height of the Ruskie import era during the 80's. I mostly bought AK's and SKS rifles back then.

Just looking at starting bids on the broker, the commercial IJ is around $450 and the true Russian military is starting out at around $700 and up. Even saw one that was starting out with a bid over $1000. :eek3:

frogger2662

Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jan 14, 2008
    Denham Springs
    East Germans are my favorite. I own two of them. 1962 and 1964.
    I own two Bulgarian Makarov's also. The trigger pull's are a little rougher
    to start with but after time they smooth up.

bonewagon

Carbon Sasquatch
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Nov 9, 2009
    Jeff Davis Parish
    I have a Russian military Makarov PM with no import markings and proper Soviet markings. Made in 1975, I believe with matching holster and 2 mags. Has some finish irregularities in the blueing and some pretty good pitting in areas of the slide. Is tight as a drum and functions like it should. Supposedly possibly used in a conflict at some time. Great shooter and conversation piece. Like it and my CZ 82. Feels good in the hand. I can post some photos if anyone is interested in seeing. Will have to grab it out of the safe. Bifurcated triangle in circle marking on left side of pistol. May sell it for right price. Who knows?

Last edited:

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    I have a Russian military Makarov PM with no import markings and proper Soviet markings. Made in 1975, I believe with matching holster and 2 mags. Has some finish irregularities in the blueing, but no rusting and tight as a drum. Supposedly possibly used in a conflict at some time. Great shooter and conversation piece. Like it and my CZ 82. Feels good in the hand. I can post some photos if anyone is interested in seeing. Will have to grab it out of the safe. Bifurcated triangle in circle marking on left side of pistol. May sell it for right price. Who knows?

Heck yeah, please post up some pics of it!

bonewagon

Carbon Sasquatch
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Nov 9, 2009
    Jeff Davis Parish
    Well my memory of condition was not correct. Once I pulled it out of the safe I remembered it had been in conflict and had some pitting on slide. I took lots of photos and you should see the condition. It is tight indeed, but has been fun to shoot and play with. Here goes. Sorry again for misrepresenting what I thought of overall condition.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Deb Mev
    Top Bottom