A fishing story

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    A FISHING STORY

The king wanted to go fishing, so he called on the
    royal weather forecaster and inquired as to the weather
    forecast for the next few hours.

The weatherman assured him that there was no chance of
    rain in the coming days, So the king went fishing
    with his wife, the queen. On the way he met
    a farmer on his donkey.

Upon seeing the king the farmer said, "Your Majesty,
    you should return to the palace! In just a short
    time I expect a huge amount of rain to fall in this area".

The king was polite and considerate, he replied: "I
    hold the palace meteorologist in high regard. He is
    an extensively educated and experienced professional.
    And besides, I pay him very high wages He gave me a very
    different forecast. I trust him."

So the king continued on his way.
    However, a short time later a
    torrential rain fell from
    the sky. The King and Queen
    were totally soaked and their entourage
    chuckled upon seeing them in such a
    shameful condition.

Furious, the king returned to the palace and gave the order
    to fire the professional. Then he summoned the farmer and
    offered him the prestigious and high paying role of
    royal forecaster.

The farmer said, "Your Majesty, I do not know anything about forecasting.
    I obtain my information from my donkey. If I
    see my donkey's ears drooping, it means with
    certainty that it will rain."

So the king hired the donkey.

And thus began the practice of hiring dumb
    asses to work in the government and
    occupy its highest and most influential positions.

The practice is unbroken to this date and thus, the
    democrat symbol was born!!!

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    i thought that was going in a totally different direction (but yeah, I get that whole gubment angle!).

It always amazes me that weather forecasters can be wrong on so many occasions and still keep their jobs. If I were wrong as much as they are, in my job, I woulda been fired several times over!

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    i thought that was going in a totally different direction (but yeah, I get that whole gubment angle!).

It always amazes me that weather forecasters can be wrong on so many occasions and still keep their jobs. If I were wrong as much as they are, in my job, I woulda been fired several times over!

The reason is they all use the same source. NOAA! What should puzzle you far more than why they don't get fired for their incorrect prognostications is why they have jobs and there is so much time spent on the weather in the first place?!?

If I may rant a bit....

First, there is only one official source of weather in the Continental US and that is the National Weather Service which is an arm of NOAA. They own all of the major weather monitoring stations and radars in the country. Basically, they belong to "we the people" of the US. Every person in the world that has a PC, Smart Phone, Laptop, I-watch, X-Box, Cable, etc...can get the exact same feed that any local news agency weather man gets. I have an email feed to them which sends me every local weather event that affects the state. Which makes the entire dog and pony show of wasting 10-12 minutes of a 30 minute local news cast on weather ridiculous.

Secondly, and most interesting, weather conditions are not predictable outside of a few days, and even then things can, and do, change. When you see a 7 day forecast, it is a waste of your time. There is not one single weather person in the cosmos that would stake their life on a forecast being correct more than 2 or 3 days out. The infuriating part is, they boldly and confidently tell you what to expect tomorrow, it ends up being completely incorrect (because Mother Nature is unbelievable), and they don't even apologize or explain why they were so far off. In fact, I have been paying attention to how inaccurate they are most of the time, and am stunned they still have people believing they can plan their lives around this.

I do not know who watches the local news and would rather see 10 minutes of that fortune telling nonsense than an additional 10 minutes of hard news that affects our lives more directly. But someone is, because all 3 of the local networks sure waste a lot of time and money on that silliness; and it is because someone is watching, waiting for, and believing that horseshit. I wish those of you that do, would stop.

I get it too! You can glean some info to help you plan some things, but who in the hell needs to hear the tide info and the temperatures of the areas around you? And why waste so much air time on it? There are more places to get that info now than anyone could imagine. And OMG! That stupid "futurecast" radar image is the most ridiculous element of all. I can tell you, it has NEVER been accurate; and, never will!

Bottom line is, the weather on the local news should be 0 minutes of the 23-25 minutes of actual news air time. It should be on the ticker along the bottom of the screen. And local so called; meteorologists? Out of jobs, unless they work at NOAA. In fact, I would rather see an extra 5 minutes of air time going to more LSU garbage than weather, and that says a lot about how I feel about weather on the local news. There is so much more that we should be hearing about real issues on the news. Sadly, there really isn't a place to go to hear all of the stuff that REALLY affects our lives here; so you get what they think you should care about, and throw in some gratuitous sports, along with the agony that is tea leave reading and Quija.

Oh well!
    :mamoru:

And BTW; the fishing story is funny and true!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom