John Deere 3039R vs. Kubota L4060

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Madisonville
    I'm looking to purchase a midsized compact utility tractor to clear woods, build roads, dig ditches, create food plots, mow, etc. on 50 acres. Have quotes from JD & Kubota for roughly the same tractor (about 40HP 4WD). Purchasing with loader, backhoe, box blade and bush hog. The Kubota has a bit more power across the board and is about 2% cheaper. The increased power and price savings are negligible, so it's not a deal maker.

I'm new to tractors and wanted to get your opinion on considerations other than power and price for a new tractor owner.

Thanks!

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Both make great tractors.
    How is your local dealers service dept?

Also look at LS or Kioti tractors.
    I haven't done a direct price comparison but I've heard they are prices significantly lower. It's worth checking out.
    There is an LS dealer in Hammond, but it looks like the closed Kioti dealer is in Houma, LA or Columbia, MS.

http://lstractorusa.com/find-a-dealer
    http://www.kioti.com/find-a-dealer/

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    My best friend got a new Kubota last year. I think it's about a 50 hp. 4 wheel drive with a front bucket. He had a smaller one he bought used and had it a few years. He loved it so he bought a new bigger one. I haven't used the new one but I did use the older and one and it was a great tractor and comfortable to use. I've had a MF 135 since about 1970 it was nice to use a up to date tractor.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    My dad has a Kubota and loves it, easy to operate and it works hard.

Hoggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Madisonville
    Kioti and MF were under consideration but their facilities are too far away from me. I want a local service dept. It's tough to shop service departments before I have a use for them.

The packages are similar except for the insurance cost which I just obtained today. Insurance is required when financing. JD's insurance is ok at $650 but Kubotra wants more than $4500. The sales pitch is that Kubota's insurance covers a lot more. Trying to figure out if that's accurate or not. The sales people at Kubota are much easier to deal with than the sames people at JD... should that be a consideration? After the initial sale I'm done communicating with the sales guy, right?

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    I have 2 friends with Kubota and they like them. As with any heavy equipment they have there issues. Consider this when you purchase it, one of my friends has a factory top on his to keep him in the shade and the other does not. In the summer NO ONE wants to drive the one without the top.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    I was in the same boat.. I went with the john deere 3038e 4x4 with the front end loader, box blade, disk, 60" grooming motor and I match quick attatch... I looked at the Kubota but everything that came with the john deere would have had to been upgrade on the Kubota. The 3038 has the hst transmission standard which is very nice and very easy with my grooming mower can stop at anytime with out clutching ect. I am more than happy with it and have almost 100 hours on it without a lick of problems with it. Just something to go with my complete pacakage was around $22,000 out the door with 0 percent interest for 6 years and bumper to bumper 100% covered warranty for 6years. I have 7.5 acres I live on and from before I moved there till now I have prob moved over 50 dump truck loads of dirt at my lot and my neighbors. I currently have almost 100 hours on it and its 2 years old. Everything is still tight no hydraulic drains or loose pressure in buckets or equipment.. in other words if I park it with the bucket up or the disk off the ground, a week later they in the same spot, haven't dropped a bit. I couldn't recommend the john deere 3038e enough

Last edited:

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    When I bought mine, I considered those 2 and would up with a mahindra and no regrets 8 years later. John deere had half the hydraulic flow, half the lift capacity and weighed 500 pounds less. It was same price as mahindra and I didn't care for the controls. Kubota spec'd similar to mahindra but was 3 grand more.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    2 things, don't settle for 2 wheel drive, and DONT GET A TRACTOR WITHOUT A FRONT END LOADER!!!! I had a buddy come over and help me with his tractor one day, a mahindra I think 47hp, I know it was in the 40's hp raiting. He had no issue picking up full loads of dirt and gravel, but his was only 2 wheel drive, he could never move a full load without getting stuck, my 38hp was running circles around him only because he was 2 wheel drive that is, I could have a bucket falling over and run anywhere I wanted to... And as far as the front end loader, wow, I have used it for more things than you can ever imagine!!! They are priceless!!! Moving feed, cement bags, your wife's plants, wood, limbs,hanging deer/hogs up to skin... heck I've even filled it up with water and watered my food plots lol, they are deff worth the extra $$

Last edited:

Scottr88

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Gonzales
    I have had two different Kubota tractors a l2800 4wd and now have a l4600 4wd with front end loader and canopy.John Deere Makes a great tractor,but they are very proud of that name and it rolls over into the parts and filters that you buy for it also.I have had no issues in the last 17 years with my Kubotas and would not hesitate to buy another one.I see you are in Madisonville,shop around and get a few quotes.Seal tractor in Woodville usually has the best price and are good people to deal with.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I have had two different Kubota tractors a l2800 4wd and now have a l4600 4wd with front end loader and canopy.John Deere Makes a great tractor,but they are very proud of that name and it rolls over into the parts and filters that you buy for it also.I have had no issues in the last 17 years with my Kubotas and would not hesitate to buy another one.I see you are in Madisonville,shop around and get a few quotes.Seal tractor in Woodville usually has the best price and are good people to deal with.

My buddy got his in Woodville and he's a shopper.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    Like a few others have said they both make good tractors. However i have a bad taste for jd based on a friends tractor. While it has had a rough life every electronic has caused him issues basically he has jumped everything out at this point. I have aa 2010 mahindra 35hp with loader and its been a workhorse. It flooded 7' under water in august. Drug it on a trailer to the dealer for a full flush and service. Its still running strong today. One thing to look at where most compact tractors suffer is weight. You can have all the hp you want but if you cant put it to the ground its pointless. My 35hp weights in at 4200l s without the loader.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    I bought a Kubota about 12 years ago. Mine is smaller, L2800. I use mine in the woods maintaining a deer lease. It's only 2 wheel drive but where I hunt it works OK. I didn't have the budget for 4WD and front loader but would strongly urge anyone to go that route if you can afford it. Mechanically, my Kubota has been flawless. Other than maintenance items, the only parts that I have had to replace have been the result of the abuse I have put this tractor through. I had a limb snap up and crack the fuel bowl once and a similar limb snap pulled out a wire from a lockout switch. Then the usual flat tire now and then. My tractor has never been in the shop. I have a friend who has a similar JD 4WD with the front loader. He is constantly working on his with electrical problems.Just my personal experience on Kubota vs JD.

Those of us who have these smaller tractors know how valuable they are for countless uses.

BSGA

BSGA
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Southwest,Louisiana
    In addition to my regular oilfield job, I run a little farming operation on my time home.I've run both, and like both. However,when I was shopping for a midsized one (50-70 hp)a few years ago I wanted to add a backhoe to it on the 3 point.Kubota,Mahindra, etc. all told me if I did that without out adding the 4 point frame that straddles the the tranny/diffential, they would void my warranty if they found out. JD response"We could care less, you can't break the housing on this thing." Turns out, the JD was 700# heavier (more steel in it) than the closest one (Kubota) and almost no price difference or difference in features.No brainer,went with the JD and been very happy.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Kubota has better service in LA than John Deere. If you need anything special done/fixed under warranty, JD has to fly a tech in from Tennessee. Apparently the "local" dealers aren't qualified.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Kubota has better service in LA than John Deere. If you need anything special done/fixed under warranty, JD has to fly a tech in from Tennessee. Apparently the "local" dealers aren't qualified.

That depends on where you are and what dealer you use.
    Here in North LA, John Deere has a strong presence, one dealer controls almost the entire region, and has lots of certified techs.
    Hence my question about the local service dept at each dealer.
    I would recommend calling each service dept and asking how long a wait to get service on a small tractor.
    Also go visit each service dept. and ask for the tech certifications.
    Find someone in your area that has used the service dept and ask how the experience was.
    Specifically for JD, do farmers with big tractors take priority over small tractor service? Are the techs certified on the small tractors or just the big stuff? Do they have a tech dedicated to small tractors, so you don't get bumped to the back of the line by a big farmer the spends $300k+ per year with JD?
    You may have dealing with the sales guy even after the sale. Especially if service is giving you the run around, or taking too long, the sales guy can go to bat for you, or not. If you spend $20k on time with the same salesman that some farmer spent $2m with over the last few years, he may push service to get to the big guy first. That should be less of an issue with Kubota, LS, Kitoi, and other brands that's main focus is smaller tractors vs. JD who's main focus is big farmers.
    Just a thought.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Deb Mev
    Top Bottom