AR handguard suggestions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tanker

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2015
    Metairie, Louisana
    I have an AR with quad rails that my wife likes to shoot. She complains about the rifle being nose heavy (which it is). The rifle is going to end up being hers, so I might as well get handguards she likes. I'm looking for something without sharp edges, lightweight, M-Lok maybe?, 13"-15". It's very possible there may never be anything mounted on the handguards, but I'd like to leave open the ability to at least mount a flashlight if she wants it. I've looked at the hundreds of choices out there and frankly I don't know which way to go. Naturally I don't want to invest a small fortune, but I do want something with reasonable quality. I'd appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks!

DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    ALG Defense EMR M-LOK is my go-to. Reasonably priced and lightweight.
    86683b9e670425fa59bdc7c185f84421.jpg

Pic is the 15" in FDE. Unfortunately I no longer have that rifle, traded it some time ago.

Sent from an unidentified bayou mobile device

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    If you want quality and cheap, ALG is about as cheap as I would go.

If you want light, BCM makes a really light hand guard.

I don't like my rails being too slim due to heat build up during long strings of firing. So I have a bunch of DD lite rails, and Seekins MCSR.

I also own a few Noveske NSR's.

ARifleman1982

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2014
    Just picked up a Seekins MCSR 15" and really like it. You can catch deals on primary arms. Or if you want a decent for a great price check into geaux armory in youngsville, he has a live free armory 15 for a great price.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Candyman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2008
    Denham Springs

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Another thing to think about is a longer rail weighs more, so she may want to go shorter on the rail. (I know, everyone wants a 15 inch rail).

Also you can offset front weight with a heavier stock, like a magpul UBR or PRS.

A light weight or pencil barrel will help with the front weight also.

NOShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2014
    New Orleans
    any plans to put a suppressor on the gun?

I have a half dozen ARs with Seekins MCSR v2 rails on them. They arent terribly pricey and not overly heavy.

Tanker

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2015
    Metairie, Louisana
    Take your wife where she can put her hand on some ARs with different rails and hand guards. That way you will get an idea to what she likes.
    I have used many different hand rails and hand guards. Some I like more then others . These are the ones I have right now.
    The third rifle from the right has a Hera Arms 15" rail. I really like it and the price is not bad.
    https://www.cbcindustries.com/collections/upper-parts-new/products/ar15-12-hera-arma-keymod-rail
    View attachment 71575

Great minds think alike! I took her to the last Kenner gun show and she pretty much felt every handguard there. It reminded of shopping with women (a terrible fate), but I smiled and tried to be patient. :mad:

Top Bottom