Donovan's Gun Store in Metairie

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles
    Does anyone know what the story with that place is? I heard the old man fell ill. Does anyone know them personally? Curious if they would be looking to sell or something.

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    They were always pretty terrible years ago when you could actually (sometimes) catch them open. By "pretty terrible" I mean they were always rude, way over priced, had terrible customer service skills, and had an absolutely horrible reputation all throughout the metro area. An old coworker of mine sued them for not returning two of his rifles he brought there to be worked on. They quoted him the work would take two weeks. They had his firearms for over 14 months... I WISH someone would buy them out since it's the closest gun shop to my office!

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    But more recently, I have not actually seem them open at all (not even once) in a couple of years at least. My imagination is running wild just thinking of what treasures may still lie inside!

Tanker

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2015
    Metairie, Louisana
    Store is closed. They had a "get rid of" sale several months ago. I stopped by and thought the prices were too high. The owner was ill, not sure what happened to him. He wasn't at the sale.

Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    I've never understood such high prices from small stores. Selling 10 items at $20 over cost is better than one at $150 over cost.
    As you can see though, I am no businessman.

La26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Paulina, La.
    I worked at NOPD with one of the owners. It has been at least four years since I went there. He did have the Glock part I needed.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I've never understood such high prices from small stores. Selling 10 items at $20 over cost is better than one at $150 over cost.
    As you can see though, I am no businessman.

That's the problem, you say 10 guns at 20 bucks instead of 150 for 1. But the carrying costs of inventory, and actual traffic. Sure you can sell a gun for cheaper and HOPEFULLY buy more, but realistically getting someone in the door is hard enough.

Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    That's the problem, you say 10 guns at 20 bucks instead of 150 for 1. But the carrying costs of inventory, and actual traffic. Sure you can sell a gun for cheaper and HOPEFULLY buy more, but realistically getting someone in the door is hard enough.

There are all kinda of variables for sure. Customer service goes a lot further than some business owners realize. High prices and poor location can be mitigated by excellent service.

103M 95G

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Apr 6, 2009
    Westbank
    been in that "shop" once. there was enough room to walk in close the door, turn around open door, and walk back out.
    according to the ATF web site their FFL is listed as "NULL"

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Even years ago it was difficult to see them open. You could drive by on a Tuesday afternoon and it was closed. Weekend, forget about it. I got them on the phone a couple times and their prices were always very high, with a very limited selection.

They catered to the random-guy-who-walks-in-off-the-street crowd. They might have had some repeat customers, but they didn't know any better.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    Hmm always wanted to stop by again, I scored a Voere Model 2005 from them several years ago for a good price, for those who dont know... that is a semi-auto open bolt .22lr made in Austria... on of 2k imported before the BATFE had a fit and banned importation in 1983, and most were converted full auto that was a rare bird...

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gautreaux
    Top Bottom