cutting steel targets

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    Not sure if this is the correct place for posting this but I couldn't figure out a better place to post.

I may be able to get a sheet of 3/8" AR500 steel to use to make some targets. Any of you that work with metal have a suggestion as to what to use to cut it? Would a plasma cutter be better than a water jet? Not sure if one would degrade the composition and weaken the steel more than the other. Thanks!

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    I have worked with cnc plasma cutter and cnc laser machines and they both will distort the metal due to heat applied and absorbed by the metal. As for water jet, I have no experience with them so I can not truely answer. In my unknown opinion, the water jet option would not distort the metal due to heat.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    I have worked with cnc plasma cutter and cnc laser machines and they both will distort the metal due to heat applied and absorbed by the metal. As for water jet, I have no experience with them so I can not truely answer. In my unknown opinion, the water jet option would not distort the metal due to heat.
    What exactly do you mean by the metal was distorted from the plasma and laser cutting? Are you saying it made it more brittle or just distorted the shape some?

Sent from the Bayou Bunker Command Center, Portable Unit #33, FEMA Region 6.

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    There was some distortion to the straightness of the metal after the cutting across the "face" of it as opposed to the straightness of it before cutting when checking it with a straight edge. Also, there was some dross left along the edges of the cut lines. As to brittleness, I can not answer.

Last edited:

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    Water jet
    Plasma creates a heat affected zone which removes the heat treat from the ar500 plate around the edges. Bullets will take off little scallops over time and make the edges sharp.
    I recommend Louisiana Cutting in Baton Rouge . He keeps ar plate in stock and has several target shapes in his CAD library. As for Nick

SwampKat

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Laplace, LA
    We get AR400 waterjet and laser cut, depending on thickness. Laser cut is usually cheaper that waterjet.

Just check with the vendor to see if the AR500 is heat treated, if so then waterjet to avoid ruining the temper or decarb the edge other wise have it laser cut.

Last edited:

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    Plasma will be the cheapest. It will temper the edges, but will the affects will be minimal. Probably less than a 1/16" on a 3/8" plate. This shouldn't be of any concern to the average shooter. As far as the dross mentioned above, a quick pass with a grinder or just a flat metal object such as a chisel will clean that right off. If you can get it cut with a laser or waterjet for around the same price, then go for it. Otherwise, plasma is perfectly fine.

Top Bottom