Gun cleaner

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lesgeaux

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Oct 18, 2009
    Marrero, LA
    I have been using Hornady One-shot cleaner and lube. With it and a brushes(round and tooth), it makes quick work at cleaning. The tests made on it for corrosion resistance shows it at the top tier, and the dry lube so far has been working well. I had read review of at least one guy that is useing it exclusively for more than five years on his firearms and is more than happy.
    If I were running an gunning in the military I may have my doubts on the dry lubability but running my guns at the range hardly puts a strain on my guns.

DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    Ive been using the Hornady One Shot as well only because I got 5 cans for dirt cheap from Midway some years ago. Still have 3. Also works well on my Hornady progressive press to keep the shell plate lubed up and clean. After that I will probably try out the break cleaner idea. For lube I use whatever synthetic heavy weight motor oil I have on hand or break free clp, whatever I see on the bench first.

Sent from an unidentified bayou mobile device

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    Anyone use ATF for lube?

ATF (Dexron standard not synthetic) mixed 50/50 with K-1 kerosene is a real good poor mans CLP. The ATF is the lube and the kerosene is the cleaner and the stuff is gentle on finishes. Cheap too !
    Of coarse straight ATF if great as a lube even if a bit heavy . I like the consistency of it when thinned with the K-1 .
    Gary

Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    ATF (Dexron standard not synthetic) mixed 50/50 with K-1 kerosene is a real good poor mans CLP. The ATF is the lube and the kerosene is the cleaner and the stuff is gentle on finishes. Cheap too !
    Of coarse straight ATF if great as a lube even if a bit heavy . I like the consistency of it when thinned with the K-1 .
    Gary

It is a good cleaner too. Ask anyone who works on trannys

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    It is a good cleaner too. Ask anyone who works on trannys

Brawny, now I know you just didnt say what you did. Or, did you? Trannys or Trannies? (as in Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner). :eek3:
    Yeah, I know. I have a sick sense of humour! :rofl:

Darn the bad luck! Wrong name and wrong spelling on Bruce the goose. Either way, "it" is GAY as all get out!

Last edited:

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    ATF (Dexron standard not synthetic) mixed 50/50 with K-1 kerosene is a real good poor mans CLP. The ATF is the lube and the kerosene is the cleaner and the stuff is gentle on finishes. Cheap too!

Also, add in some 10w30 motor oil for extra lube. Old-timers have been doing this mix forever.

Rough Rider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2014
    Jefferson Parish
    In the military we used some really awesome solvent (I don't remember what it was) followed up with CLP. The solvent tended to be a little too awesome though on the skin. Once I started dealing with the commie guns I would heat them then hit them with WD40 using the little straw nozzle and a little elbow grease to remove the cosmoline. I've used WD40 followed up with CLP for 27 years now. I like to hit the weapon with WD at the range so that the scrubbing will be lessened once I get home. It's safe enough to use in the living room or the kitchen or at the desk.

dwhaley929

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Dec 14, 2016
    Baton Rouge LA
    My biggest cleaning issue is the carbon\lead that builds up around the business end of stainless revolver cylinders. I haven't found any liquid that dissolves that gunk. Lots of scrubbing (lightly) with Hoppes, etc on a small piece of scotchbrite, or a Birchwood Casey lead remover cloth is all I've found that works so far, and not all that great either.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    My biggest cleaning issue is the carbon\lead that builds up around the business end of stainless revolver cylinders. I haven't found any liquid that dissolves that gunk. Lots of scrubbing (lightly) with Hoppes, etc on a small piece of scotchbrite, or a Birchwood Casey lead remover cloth is all I've found that works so far, and not all that great either.

Is it carbon or lead? If it's carbon, try fireclean. Easiest cleanup on my suppressor pistons. Hoppes works well on lead for me

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Hard to get carbon equals Brake/carb cleaner.
    Normally I use CLP but have made up some Ben's Red 10/40 Royal Purple and Royal Purple trans fluid as lube. Does nut dry out and does well for storage. Looks to lube well as anything. looks great on blued guns
    As far as cleaning Lead / Lube Hoppies #9 works best and my dad had a glass 1/2 gallon that is now mine

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    Back in my day tranny meant one thing. I guess now you're going to tell me gay doesn't just mean happy

Back in my day a drag race involved two cars but I clicked on this drag race show and this guy named Ru Paul wasn't racing no cars....it was " different " !

El Pozzinator

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    Denham springs LA
    hoppe's blast-n-clean aerosol for "aw, man, i really don't feel like scrubbing that much" stuff, regular hoppe's for normal stuff - maybe with some 4-0 steel wool if i really need to work on it (particularly the wheelgun), or non-chlorinated brake cleaner for the "are you kidding me" stuff. back in the day we'd fill the barrel with barbasol and pour near-boiling water through it. that cleaned out the 240, 249, and 203 pretty well. also very handy for peeling the paint off before you turned your m4 back in to the armorer at the end of a tour so they didn't go bananas that you painted your weapon.

absolutely agree on the steel shield / weapon shield stuff. their dry lube is FANTASTIC. used it exclusively in iraq and afghanistan. course, my unit's budget was slightly less constrained than normal.

Top Bottom